What's new

Chesky Records goes single-inventory SACD release schedule (1 Viewer)

Rommel_L

Second Unit
An audiophile choosing to use a more superior format, not surprising news. The bigger question is, why just now?

Danny Tse

Senior HTF Member

This is just a wild guess based solely on my own observation. I think production cost for hybrid SACD has come down so much that an independent music company can afford to go single-inventory. Why carry dual inventory of the same title? My previous post mentioned the single-inventory Randy Brecker SACD from Telarc....even on Telarc's own website, you can order the SACD for $15.99. Which is 20% less than Telarc's previous MSRP for its SACDs if there is a separate CD and SACD version. There are a number of small independent music companies going single-inventory....don't know why the major music companies don't follow suit?

Rommel_L

Second Unit
Profit margin... Major companies sell CDs that are priced MORE than the SACDs the independents sell. Never mind the fact that independents like Chesky and Telarc target a small group of audience compared to the majors...

Marc Colella

Senior HTF Member
The major labels press in much higher volumes, and I'm guessing that there's limited SACD production lines - which is fine for a smaller label who won't need to press as many but for a large label they don't want any bottlenecks.

Plus the major labels know that a very small percentage of their sales go towards audiophiles, while the smaller labels like Chesky, Telarc, etc cater to the audiophile.

I don't see any major labels doing single inventory.

Lee Scoggins

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Lee
"I'm guessing that there's limited SACD production lines"

This is not true. There is plenty of capacity to even major pressings, only not enough to replace redbook.

Rommel_L

Second Unit
Production-wise, it is much cheaper to produce redbook and 98% of the consumer market are not complaining about it's quality. CD is not going anywhere anytime soon...

Marc Colella

Senior HTF Member

Well that's what I was getting at when I said "limited"... meaning limited compared to what redbook requires.

Lee Scoggins

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Lee
"meaning limited compared to what redbook requires"

In that case we are in agreement. :)

I don't think CD is going anywhere soon it is very entrenched but we may be surprised how quickly it goes if it does go. Consumers seem to move on rather quickly and have gotten a bit used to technology shifts I believe relative to past tech changes...

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
acinstallation240
Recent bookmarks