1. Sign-up to become a member, and most of the ads you see will disappear. It only takes 30 seconds to sign up, so join the discussion today!
    Dismiss Notice

Cherry-picking: reasons?

Discussion in 'TV on DVD and Blu-ray' started by bmasters9, Oct 16, 2019.

1. bmasters9

bmasters9 Producer

Ben Masters
    Now that is a great rationale for cherry-picking if I ever saw one; Quincy would be great for my collection (and indeed be eligible), if it weren't for those dang VSEs!

Jeff Flugel likes this.
  2. Josh Steinberg

Josh Steinberg Executive Producer
    Reviewer

Josh Steinberg
    I guess the easiest way for me to explain my preference is that sometimes I do, sometimes I don’t.

I’m always in the middle of Twilight Zone, original Star Trek, and the Honeymooners. I don’t watch them every day but I’m never not somewhere into them. Sometimes I’ll go through those shows in order. Other times I’ll do an out of order rewatch and just try to see everything once in a cycle before repeating everything. I try to avoid watching only the same handful of favorites over and over.

For a show like M*A*S*H, I strongly prefer the Winchester years over the Frank Burns years. So I’m more inclined to pick up that show when Winchester joins the story and go in order from there to the end. Occasionally I’ll go back to the very beginning. But it’s practically two different shows: a sitcom in its first five seasons with occasional moments of drama, and a drama with some comedic elements in its final six seasons. It’s not so much the swap of characters (though that does help) but just the different style of the show itself that I prefer.

For something like “24” where it’s heavily serialized but each season is mostly self contained, I may choose to rewatch one particular season rather than doing every single one.

And then for something like “West Wing” or “Twin Peaks,” where it’s not only serialized but each season connects to the next, I generally won’t touch it unless I’m ready to do it all.

And of course, there’s the occasional holiday-themed exception to the rule. I’ll cherry pick episodes of anything if it’ll go with a day being celebrated and I’m in the mood for something to tie in to that.

3. bmasters9

bmasters9 Producer

Ben Masters
    That's something I need to get out of the habit of as well! Some episodes have held up far better than others for me on some shows, like on Hart to Hart, where that has been the case w/two first-season episodes, three third-season episodes, and one fifth-and-final-season one (this is why I have targeted those over the rest of them lately).

Jeff Flugel likes this.
  4. MatthewA

MatthewA Lead Actor

Matthew
    I LOVE very special episodes. There, I said it.

5. bmasters9

bmasters9 Producer

Ben Masters
    And I'm happy you do-- I think, because of that, that Diff'rent Strokes and others of that ilk would be right up your alley.

Jeff Flugel likes this.
  6. Message #26 of 52 Oct 19, 2019
    Last edited: Oct 19, 2019
    MatthewA

MatthewA Lead Actor

Matthew
    Now, I don't necessarily agree with every conclusion they come to, but I still feel the complaints have gotten more annoying than what they complain about.

Even successful shows used to get more critical scrutiny. Now, say anything bad about a hit show and you're branded a heretic.

bmasters9 likes this.
  7. Josh Steinberg

Reviewer

Josh Steinberg
    I used to use just a text file on my laptop (and then the Notes app on my phone) to keep a list of episodes and then I’d check one off as I’d watch it, to try to keep me honest.

All of it is in Plex now, which keeps track of what I’ve seen and haven’t yet seen so even less effort now. But I’ve also lately been adhering to a simple piece of advice my wife gave me, for those instances where I’m torn between watching an episode that I’ve seen a zillion times vs one I haven’t:

“Watch what you feel like.”

I had somehow forgotten that part of the equation.

Jeff Flugel and bmasters9 like this.
  8. bmasters9

bmasters9 Producer

Ben Masters
    That's what I'm doing with Riptide-- mine, however, involves a printed episode list from tv.com, and as I see each one (cherry-picked or straight), the episodes are checked off with checkmarks (The Streets of San Francisco has been the only other one I've done that with; I also had one on Petrocelli, but that came from a scanned copy of the guide in VEI's packaging).

Jeff Flugel and Josh Steinberg like this.
  9. Josh Steinberg

Reviewer

Josh Steinberg
    I’ll sometimes skip the entirety of the Twilight Zone fourth season because of its one hour episode length. I think the half hour format works better for the show, but the real reason is just time - I usually throw on TZ when I only have half an hour, so those hour episodes take a little extra effort to schedule.

Jeff Flugel likes this.
  10. Josh Steinberg

Reviewer

Josh Steinberg
    I had a TZ printout years ago - I had the original release which was something like 45 individual discs with the episodes all out of order, so I had a little cheat sheet for where to find what. At the time it seemed cool but now I’m just glad to have the Blu-rays and Plex rips with everything in order.

11. Dave Jessup

Dave Jessup Stunt Coordinator

I've kept both the individual-disc TZ releases and my own key to which episode's where on what disc, so I can research when needed.
    (Stuff like "which main title design is used for a first season show: original run or network repeat....")
    All that despite - or because - of the "definitive" DVD season sets, and blu rays, and some films also residing here.

Cherry picking: when I received The Man From UNCLE a decade-plus ago, I did run through the first season first. Then skipped to the third to get it out of the way.

bmasters9 and Josh Steinberg like this.
  12. BobO'Link

BobO'Link Producer

Howie
    You should've watched the second and skipped the third...

13. bmasters9

bmasters9 Producer

Ben Masters
    Good point! I heard that the third go on The Man From U.N.C.L.E. was way off in many ways.

14. Dave Jessup

Dave Jessup Stunt Coordinator

It is indeed - that's why I was happy to get it out of the way as soon as possible, to better enjoy the good episodes.

(I'd seen most of the show in syndication from 1985 onward. With the whole works available uncut in the briefcase set, I could skip around as I pleased.)

BobO'Link, Jeff Flugel and bmasters9 like this.
  15. bmasters9

bmasters9 Producer

Ben Masters
    All-in-one releases lend themselves remarkably well to cherry-picking, don't they?

16. Rick Thompson

Rick Thompson Screenwriter

Me, I was waiting for this "very special edpisode":

"Hannibal and Mr. T find the meaning of true love in a very special A-Team!"

Ron1973, bmasters9 and MatthewA like this.
  17. bmasters9

bmasters9 Producer

Ben Masters
    Or maybe, "On a very special Riptide tonight, find out why it's not right to be obsessed with marrying someone who left you at the altar the first time!"

Having finished that third-and-final-season episode "The Wedding Bell Blues" from disc 3 on that third and final season, that's how that episode played to me, and as such, is why I saw it just to say I saw it, and why, when I finish the Riptide series and have it free and clear (6 episodes out from that), that episode is one I won't be coming back to very readily.

18. Neil Brock

Neil Brock Producer

I'm the opposite. I've been watching the one hour shows lately as those are the only ones (other than the handful that were held out of syndication) that I haven't seen so many times. The hour episodes, I've maybe seen once or twice at the most, and not in quite a few years, so I don't know them all by heart.

19. Ron1973

Ron1973 Beverly Hillbilles nut extraordinaire

Ron Reagan (not that one!)
    How easy is Plex to learn? I have Windows Media Player on my computer (Win 7 machine that is getting ancient by computer standards-7 or 8 years old) that I use to manage around 40K songs. I'd really like something different that isn't so wonky and unreliable. I'm going to eventually rip my DVD's to the computer, so I'd like something that will handle all of my media with ease.

A very valid reason. With The Beverly Hillbillies, I have mentioned before having some unedited episodes on VHS from either taping on local TV or the Columbia House releases. I have watched those particular episodes over and over. When they hit on DVD, I watched them once or twice to marvel at how good they looked in comparison to the scratchy, beat up 16mm prints I used to watch on TV in the 70's through the early 90's. After that, I skip over them in favor of less watched episodes and don't return to them that often.

20. Gary OS

Gary OS Producer

Gary
    I will absolutely cherry-pick around the holidays. At Christmastime I'm watching Christmas-themed episodes exclusively. I'm assuming most everyone does that though so it's probably no revelation.

Gary "in general I try to watch in order, but it's not a hard and fast rule by any stretch" O.