1. Sign-up to become a member, and most of the ads you see will disappear. It only takes 30 seconds to sign up, so join the discussion today!
    Dismiss Notice

Chernobyl (HBO)

Discussion in 'TV Shows' started by Francois Caron, Apr 3, 2019.

Tags:
  1. Francois Caron

Francois Caron Cinematographer

François Caron
    Starts May 6. Looks very interesting. I've always been fascinated by the biggest industrial screw-up in modern history.

2. Johnny Angell

Johnny Angell Played With Dinosaurs Member

Johnny Angell
    I’d like to see this too, but it looks like it could be difficult to watch.

3. Francois Caron

François Caron
    Yes, it will be difficult to watch. Radiation poisoning is a horrible death. Your entire body's decomposing while you're still alive and feeling everything.

But chances are you'll also see acts of bravery and self-sacrifice as you watch this dramatisation on how this massive reactor fire was finally put out and the super hot molten core prevented from reaching water and triggering an even bigger and more devastating thermal explosion.

joshEH and Johnny Angell like this.
  4. Hollywoodaholic

Hollywoodaholic Edge of Glory?

Wayne
    A stark reminder that other countries don't always have the same standards of safety or crisis prevention and the devastating consequences of that (the Japan reactors blew up after tsunami, so sometimes it's just nature). What's weird is it's now a tourist attraction - my niece just visited there (complete with protective coverings). This series might just be a valuable cautionary tale to remind everyone how many reactors there still are and just what can happen. I'll be watching. Hey, I went to a No Nukes concert at the L.A. Forum back in the day with most rock superstars. America listened, and seriously curbed proliferation. But don't forget that the fallout from Chernobyl went heavily through Sweden and basically blanked the globe to some degree. We ALL eventually got a bit radiated.

5. RobertR

RobertR Executive Producer

Pretty meaningless without a dosage number and the type of radiation. We all receive radiation from terrestrial and cosmic sources, as well as medical x-rays.

Dheiner likes this.
  6. Francois Caron

François Caron
    Plus, we can't just stop building or operating nuclear reactors. They're the cleanest and most reliable source of core electrical power that we have available. We just have to learn *not* to screw around with it, especially not as badly as the massive flood of bad decisions that were made at Chernobyl.

7. Scott McGillivray

Scott McGillivray Supporting Actor

Surprised that there is not more discussion about this series.
    I just finished episode 3. It is excellent. They have nailed the look and feel of Soviet Russia. The details are excellent.
    I was put off at first with the actors having British and Scottish accents, but now it works for me.
    The miners in episode 3...almost brought a tear to my eye. Those were MEN. There was a horrible job to do and they just got to it. Got too hot? No fans? Screw it! We'll go naked! Love that boldness and courage.

Great series.

Bernard McNair, Nigel P and Osato like this.
  8. Francois Caron

François Caron
    I was so busy with work lately, I had completely forgotten about it!

9. Johnny Angell

Johnny Angell
    We watch every Tuesday via HBOGo on our ATV. It’s great show and I highly recommend the companion podcast named Chernobyl. It’s very informative.

Scott McGillivray likes this.
  10. Hollywoodaholic

Wayne
    I'm watching, but man this is one bleak horror show. Spoiler alert: Everyone dies! And now it's a tourist attraction!

Greg.K likes this.
  11. joshEH

joshEH Producer

Josh
    The three guys descending into the reactor at the end of the one episode was as intense as anything in GoT these past several weeks. Their muffled voices gradually getting drowned out by the Geiger-counter, the flashlights cutting out one at a time...scary stuff.

That it was THAT close to being a four-megaton dirty bomb. Jesus. It feels like they're applying a lot of zombie apocalypse tropes to this, which also ups the horror-aspect.

Confession: I'm having to overcome some negative bias against Adam Nagaitis, who's playing the firefighter, as he played Hickey in AMC's The Terror, and that character was a complete shitweasel, made even worse by Nagaitis's infuriating smirk.

Nigel P and Neil Middlemiss like this.
  12. Hollywoodaholic

Wayne
    Hickey never had it so bad.

13. Johnny Angell

Johnny Angell
    You mean the firefighter with the wife who follows him to the hospital and sees him die, that firefighter? Jeez I didn’t recognize him. Hickey is the one who led the mutiny?

14. Hollywoodaholic

Wayne
    The only way this series could get more depressing is if they started killing puppies and babies....

Doh!

Greg.K and Scott McGillivray like this.
  15. Scott McGillivray

Man...that was a tough episode. I wasn't sure where the story was going to go after the real spectacle of the disaster died down, so to speak. Love how they are being patient with this series and really showing the bigger impacts of this event. Excellent show.

Johnny Angell likes this.
  16. Message #16 of 41 May 30, 2019
    Last edited: May 30, 2019
    Dennis Nicholls

Dennis Nicholls Executive Producer

Dennis
    RobertR likes this.
  17. Johnny Angell

Johnny Angell
    I’m listening to each episode’s podcast. I learned that this last episode could have been even more rough to watch. They had another scene in the script, which wasn’t shot, during the shooting of the pets. It was worse than what was filmed. BTW, we fast forwarded thru that segment. I know it’s wrong to be able to watch the suffering of humans and not of the animals, but it’s how I’m built.

The show’s creator made it clear we will know what caused the explosion. After watching the episode and listening to the podcast, I hope it becomes clear the inherent problem was fixed. I’ve known the Soviets were secretive and rigid, still the extent of their unwillingness to hear and act on the truth is astounding.

18. Scott McGillivray

I just finished the last episode. I cannot say enough good things about this series. It is a perfect show. It covers all aspects of the event with such respect and authenticity that I cannot praise it enough. This is something, I think, everyone should see.

10/10

19. joshEH

joshEH Producer

Josh
    If Jared Harris doesn't earn any awards for his performance in this, I'm gonna be pissed. And Skarsgard's freakout over the phone had me hiding under my couch cushions. Would love to see him get some gold too. That 5-10 second stare he gives when Harris reveals both of their characters will be dead in five years should forever be used in acting classes.

Even the minor roles are just stellar. The foreman of the coal miners in particular, especially how he just sees through all the bullshit -- "If these worked, you'd be wearing them" -- but does the job anyway because it has to be done.

("Why worry about something that isn't going to happen? Oh, that's perfect. They should put that on our money.")

This series should win all the Emmys. It's so good.

20. Hollywoodaholic

Wayne
    Nigel P, joshEH and Scott McGillivray like this.