What's new

Cheesy Godfather packaging. (1 Viewer)

William Miller

Second Unit
Paramount has given us the greatest movie of all time in a incredible junky package. The DVD's come in flimsy cardboard folders that all fit in the outside slipcase. But the folders all don't fold right and many of the sets that I looked at today had at least one of the inside folders incorrectly folded so that it looks lopsided. I picked out the best one where only one was bad. Most of them had 2 or more that were incorrectly folded.
But the worst thing I have found out so far is that these folders slip very easily out of the outside slipcase. I have only had my set less than one hour and they have fallen out twice already on the floor. The slightest tilt and out they go! My advice to you is to handle this set very carefully once you have opened it.
And I still resent having to buy Godfather 3.
And my Costco did not get their 400 copies in on street date.
But Best Buy's price was similar.

Richard Kim

Senior HTF Member
I have the exact same problem. The spines are supposed to be smooth but instead they jut out unevenly in the box. I tried to fix it as best I could, but it's still uneven.

Ken_McAlinden

Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Kenneth McAlinden
I am usually the last guy to complain about packaging, but all things considered, I would have preferred a box filled with snapper cases to what Paramount has provided. It looked so cool in the pictures on the web sites and in the store advertisements, too!
frown.gif

Regards,
------------------
Ken McAlinden
Livonia, MI USA

Sean Trask

Grip
Hello,
I have been reading the forum for months - but this issue (Godfather packaging) is the one that acutally got me to register and post. I don't know what that says about me, but I have this to add:
I bought the set this morning (my Costco actually did get it in), and I opened it right up. I took the first disc of Godfather 2 out, and I cracked the plastic in the case.
Now, I have to go back to Costco, and get it replaced. What a hassle. I'm sure I will do it again, so I sent an e-mail to Paramount - since I don't want to be constantly replacing my set every time I break it.
Is there anything we can do? I have endured every packaging variation without complaint - because it hasn't actually caused me any real problems. This is the first one that I have had break on me.
Thanks,
Sean

CRyan

Screenwriter
Welcome to forum Sean. Or should I say congratulations on your first post.
Your only solution will be to return it and open it at the store before you go home. I seriously doubt we will see this set with different packaging anytime soon. I don't really mind it anyway.
C. Ryan
------------------
http://www.elitestoragedesigns.com/RyanOAR.bmp
[Edited last by CRyan on October 09, 2001 at 04:30 PM]

Deepak Shenoy

Supporting Actor
I have the same problem with the spines of the individual folders not lining up correctly. Plus the piece of paper on the back that is stuck to the box with some sticky glue that's hard to remove. Overall the packaging is a disappointment (especially given that GF I & II are among the most highly anticipated releases of all time). I wish they had created a boxset with keepcases (I prefer them to all other forms of DVD packaging).

Ken Seeber

Supporting Actor
You may also want to remove the security tag, which is glued to the bottom inside of the slipcase. It's right where the corners of the cardboard sleeves will hit every time you put them back into the slipcase. I can see the security tag damaging the corner of the cases already.

DanR

Supporting Actor
I have to agree (from what I just saw on the shlef at the store). I don't like the way this entire release was handled. They should have done this with separate releases in keepcases, and with a 4 disc set (just the keepcases of the movies and a 4th disc) available to those who want it.
Screw all this "special unique collectability" stuff. If there's one thing redeeming about Universal it's that the Jurassic Park series was/is available separately, in an "older" 2 movie box, and will be in a 4 disc set (on December 11) PLUS those who want it can get the 4th disc via mail. That's what Paramount should have done with The Godfather, but there were obviously "other" considerations/forces at work here.
frown.gif

Regards,
Dan

Dave F

Senior HTF Member
Any tips on removing that paper on the back? I started to remove it, but with all of the glue residue, it might look worse with the sheet removed.
eek.gif

-Dave
------------------
DVD List

Gui A

Supporting Actor
AAAAAAAAAAAARRRRRRgGHHHHHH
furious.gif
furious.gif
furious.gif
furious.gif
furious.gif
furious.gif
furious.gif
furious.gif
!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
I slowly tried to removed the security tag that's on the inside, but when it came off, it took a few inches worth of inner lining!
AAARRRHGH!
*AND*
The back paper... whoa boy... I slowly tried to pull it out, but it created too much tension, so now there's a bubble (thankfully, the case didn't rip, but the paper did).
...Using my semi patented method of removing sticky glue from dvd cases (usually, it's spit, and rub with an undershirt using a wax on, wax off motion) I was able to get most of it out. BUT I did it too fast. so now i have a few white spots.
once again,
furious.gif
furious.gif
furious.gif
furious.gif

------------------
but i don't want to be a pirate!

Marvin

Screenwriter
Real Name
Marvin
Gee, from the title of this thread, I thought it was going to be about a new pizza chain...
Just kidding!

Ken Seeber

Supporting Actor
Gui,
I'm sorry to hear about the problems you've had with this package. The security tag inside my case popped off with little trouble, but I guess it depends on how firmly it's been attached. If I were you, I'd exchange the set for a new one.
When I peeled the paper off the back of the case, the tape stayed right where it was. It took a littl gentle rubbing and some persistence, but it eventually came off. The remaining residue took a couple of wipes with a soft cloth to remove completely.
OK, so I'm a little anal about this sort of thing. But you'd think the studios would have these kinds of problems ironed out by now.
Oh well, at least the security tag wasn't stuck under one of the clear trays where it couldn't be removed.

Tom Ryan

Screenwriter
Gee, maybe ordering online will have more advantages than I thought.....I don't think my set will have security tags (my French Connection from DDD did have security stickers, but they came off easily) and will probably have the information thing on the back over the plastic, since nobody needs to know about what's in the set when it's sitting in a warehouse somewhere. Top it off with a decent price ($71.19 shipped, less than every B&M price I've seen so far including tax, though I've seen some not-so-reliable online retailers offering it for around $60), and I'm loving online retailers. I do have to wait until next Monday to get it though, since it only shipped yesterday
frown.gif
(usually preorders ship the Thursday before street date, get to me two days after, but I only ordered this one Friday).
-Tom

Paul E. Fox II

Second Unit
I don't usually post about the cases, but in this particular instance, I feel I must. When I got the set home and took out the discs to check them out, the hubs on Part II (both of them
frown.gif
!!!!) and the Bonus Features disc are totally busted to hell. Both of the discs in Part II were just flying all around in the case.
Now, like a previous poster, I have to make a trip back to the store to get them replaced and since they came from Wal*Mart, I'll have to explain WHY I'm being so picky!
This must stop!
Now, if the studios begin to release only Pan&Scan DVDs, this will cease to be a problem since I won't buy any more DVDs. That is the subject of another post however, so I won't continue it here!
------------------
Regards,
Paul
Remember, "y'all" is singular, "all y'all" is plural, and "all y'all's" is
plural possessive

george kaplan

Senior HTF Member
While I agree the packaging could be better, let's face it - it could be a lot worse. They could be snappers with paper sleeves.
I do have to say, however, that Snow White did a much better job with the security tag. It was on a piece of paper that you just throw away instead of attached to the packaging somewhere.
------------------
13-time NBA world champion Lakers: 1949, 1950, 1952, 1953, 1954, 1972, 1980, 1982, 1985, 1987, 1988, 2000, 2001

Gui A

Supporting Actor
Ken,
It's really not that bad... I've calmed down a bit now. :)
Plus, it's on the inside.
(I also bought it at Walmart... sorry
blush.gif
)
[Edited last by Gui A on October 09, 2001 at 09:21 PM]

Ken Seeber

Supporting Actor
Gee, maybe ordering online will have more advantages than I thought.....I don't think my set will have security tags (my French Connection from DDD did have security stickers, but they came off easily) and will probably have the information thing on the back over the plastic, since nobody needs to know about what's in the set when it's sitting in a warehouse somewhere.
Don't hold your breath, Tom! My copy came from DVD Empire and had the security tag as well as the paper stuck directly to the slipcase.

Joseph S

Senior HTF Member
I hate the Warner "Snapper Crapper," the Universal "Jaws Keepcase Crapper," the Universal "Ultimate Crapper," and also the Fox/HBO/Paramount/New Line "Accordion Crapper." :)
That said. Here's a tip for the security sticker. Heat it with a hair dryer and you should be able to get it off without ripping. However, take heed not to try this with a Universal "Ultimate Crapper" as it will deform the plastic casing, if you can actually call it a casing.
Studios please give us real keepcases. The more I use the DVD-A cases the more I wish they or the Super Jewel Cases were used for DVD.

SteveGon

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Steve Gonzales
Got the security tag on my set off with no problem. The other packaging concerns don't bother me.
------------------
He thought on homeland, the big timber, the air thin and chill all the year long. Tulip poplars so big through the trunk they put you in mind of locomotives set on end. He thought of getting home and building him a cabin on Cold Mountain so high that not a soul but the nighthawks passing across the clouds in autumn could hear his sad cry. Of living a life so quiet he would not need ears. And if Ada would go with him, there might be the hope, so far off in the distance he did not even really see it, that in time his despair might be honed off to a point so fine and thin that it would be nearly the same as vanishing.
-- Charles Frazier, Cold Mountain

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
blitz
Recent bookmarks