What's new

Cheers (1 Viewer)

John*Wells

Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
John
Cheers: The Complete Series

Is this the most recent release of cheers? I searched the forums before starting another thread and got the No results found response

John*Wells

Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
John
Are they using the "3 discs stacked on a mini-spindle" routine for this one? I tried to research on EBay, and didn't find anything.

That’s what it looks like to me. I would have to re package the discs in individual cases like I did with my mill creek releases

LeoA

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Leo
Been watching my Cheers set (The 2015 reissue) lately and was reminded of some oddities.

Does anyone have an idea why certain episodes look poor while the vast majority look pristine? One that leaps to mind is the season opener for season 4.

And another issue that I haven't encountered yet as I watch them in order (about to start season 5) but have seen in the past when I've played random discs from this set, is certain scenes in later seasons that look very poor.

For an example, perhaps we're watching Carla taking an order and everything visually looks great. Then we see Norm and Cliff talking and everything still looks good. But then we'll see a view almost identical to what started the scene with Carla delivering drinks to the table she had just taken an order from, but the quality is very poor with washed out colors. Then it will return to looking fine with the next shot.

Did they have to piece some of these episodes together from secondary sources to make them complete?

Last edited:

MatthewA

BANNED
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Matthew
Season 4 is when they switched to editing on tape. The first three seasons were edited entirely on film. They've had 4x3 and 16x9 HD masters for years but no faith in its ability to sell on Blu-ray based on their other legacy shows' disappointing sales (albeit in overpriced sets). The CBS Syndication Bible entry doesn't say anything to indicate missing elements. They must have used masters made before these HD remasters.

Mark-P

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Mark Probst
There’s absolutely no point in buying Cheers on DVD anymore. You can get the entire series in HD and it’s original aspect ratio for only $59.99 at iTunes or Vudu.

The Obsolete Man

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Robert
There’s absolutely no point in buying Cheers on DVD anymore. You can get the entire series in HD and it’s original aspect ratio for only $59.99 at iTunes or Vudu.

Unless you actually want to own them instead of just renting long term and hoping they don't pull them from your account for some reason some day, of course.

David Norman

Premium
Senior HTF Member

Or unless you are among the 20-35% of rural customers with max internet speed of 10mbps or still on dialup or tiny data caps

albert_m2

Second Unit
Real Name
Albert
I own the individual sets and the release from a few years ago (complete series in two large cases).

I'm glad I own them. That said, it's currently available to stream on Netflix, as well as Hulu and Amazon I believe.

That will likely change at some point of course.

Rob W

Screenwriter
Real Name
Robert
Although I have the complete series on DVD, I just picked up the entire series in HD on the Canadian iTunes store for $19.99. I paid more for one single season for the DVD sets. There is no longer a download option available unlike other series I purchased in the past, but for that price I'm not going to complain. Works out to 7 cents per episode.

Added bonus - it pisses off the people who like to tell others how to consume their content.

John*Wells

Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
John
Of course, they can also be downloaded and kept on your hard drive.

You're not actually suggesting that I Can go to Best Buy for example, buy a couple of external Hard drives and transfer a series from DVD to watch whenever I please are you?

Rob W

Screenwriter
Real Name
Robert
You're not actually suggesting that I Can go to Best Buy for example, buy a couple of external Hard drives and transfer a series from DVD to watch whenever I please are you?

The conversation was about buying a series on iTunes, not DVD.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest posts

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
CoolMovies
Recent bookmarks