Cheers unaired episode question

Discussion in 'TV on DVD and Blu-ray' started by Brandon Conway, Nov 20, 2003.

1. Brandon Conway

Brandon Conway captveg

Brandon Conway
    According to epguides.com, there was a special unaired Cheers episode made for the US Treasury (!) called "Uncle Sam Malone." This happened between Seasons 1 & 2, and I was wondering if this was either on the Season 1 set, or perhaps going to be on the upcoming Season 2 release.

Anyone have any info???

2. David Lambert

David Lambert Executive Producer

I wish; I'd be interested to see it. But no, it's definately not on S1 and - unless Paramount has a big surprise waiting for us - there are no indications that it will be on the S2 release either (the info at that link is completely updated with 100% off Paramounts info about that release, which has no hint of the "Uncle Sam Malone" special show on it).

Considering it was produced FOR the Treasury Dept. to be used "during savings bond drives" (the plot is that the gang tries to convince Diane that U.S. Savings Bonds are a great investment), perhaps the US Treasury is withholding permission to circulate it so it can be used when there actually is another major drive for bonds. Just a guess, though...there could be a more simple explanation that that (like "noone thought to include it").

3. William Waits

William Waits Stunt Coordinator

That would be a spectacular bonus to add... Paramount, are you listening? And if the US Treasury has the ultimate rights to it, please allow them to do so... I wouldn't think that it would be a problem, as many cartoons have been released as such...

Maybe if they can't add it to Season 2, they should add it to Season 5, which is Diane's last season (although she did appear in the last 3 episodes).

4. David Lambert

David Lambert Executive Producer

William, your Best Buy thoughts are interesting, and all I guess we can do is keep an eye on it to see if it happens. I'm not holding my breath, though. [​IMG]

5. William Waits

William Waits Stunt Coordinator

6. Rob W

Rob W Supporting Actor

Robert
    Actually, William, Diane only appeared in the LAST episode , which was 90 minutes long and split up into three episodes for the syndication package. The show has been off for so long that it's possible you're too young to remember that ! [​IMG]

7. John Berggren

John Berggren Producer

I'd love to see such an episode included. Even if it's heavy handed, it's part of the history of the series.
    I think it'd be a shame if it went wholly unseen.

8. Haden

Haden Supporting Actor

On the subject of unaired episodes, another interesting bonus for the Season 5 set (if they get that far with these) would be the alternate version of the season 5 finale in which Sam and Diane get married rather than Diane leaving the show. Here's the description taken from TVtome:

"A fake episode was originally taped before a live studio audience in which Sam and Diane are wed. This was done to hide from the public the fact that Shelley Long was leaving Cheers."

That would be even more interesting to see than the Uncle Sam Malone treasury episode.

9. TonyD

TonyD Who do we think I am?
    Supporter

Tony D.
    i have a tape that is about 12 minutes that is a mini ep of cheers that includes the entire cast minus sam malone talking about the us postal service.
    i haven't watched it in a lomg time so i'm not exactly sure what it was about.
    i'll have to dig it out to watch it again.

it was produced by the u.s.p.s.
    i think it was made in the first 2 or 3 years of cheers.

10. questrider

questrider Second Unit
    Supporter

Brian
    There was also a 10-minute segment aired during the pre-game of the 1986 World Series with Bob Costas interviewing Sam Malone at the bar about the Boston Red Sox when they were in the World Series.

11. Jeff'Reys

Jeff'Reys Auditioning

12. Garysb

Garysb Cinematographer

I don't think it was a whole fake episode . I think it was just the last scene where instead of Diane leaving to write a book they got married. Since I have heard nothing about this being included in the Season 5 set, I assume Season 5 is strictly barebones.

It was announced that Shelly Long was leaving
    "Cheers" many months before her last show aired.The reason for the fake scene was keep a secret how she would leave. I believe the fake scene was filmed with a studio audience but the actual aired last scene was filmed without one.