What's new

Cheers Season 7 DVD Music Change (1 Viewer)

Nick_TV

Stunt Coordinator
Yes, the music change is in "Please Mr. Postman" when Sam plays "Unchained Melody" instead of "You've Lost That Lovin' Feeling" like he's suppose to.

They also misspelled Woody on the episode "The Gift of the Woodi".

ravma

Stunt Coordinator
Actually, that's how the episode is spelled.

"TRIVIA NOTE: The title of the episode "The Gift of the Woodi" is a spoof of the short story "The Gift of the Magi" written by O'Henry about an impoverished young married couple (Jim and Della) who each sold a precious possession to give each other a Christmas gift. Della sold her long, beautiful hair to buy her husband a gold chain for his pocket watch that had been his father's and grandfather's; Jim sold his pocket watch to buy his wife a fancy set of combs for her hair. "

David Rain

Screenwriter
Real Name
Dave
If the Righteous Bros. song was changed then I assume it was because of how expensive it was. But it seems odd that one RB tune would be so much more expensive than another. So I'm guessing it was the specific songwriter or song publisher in this case that caused the change.

WillG

Senior HTF Member
I knew I wasn't crazy. I explained this in the thread about the possible music changes in the last season but no one was able to confirm that the music change was indeed true. It appears this way in syndication as well.

Casey Neutron

Stunt Coordinator
Yeah, I just checked the original broadcast of the episode in question and "You've Lost That Lovin' Feeling" was there.
So the dvd version doesn't make much sense when Sam tells Woody that "You've Lost That Lovin' Feeling" is the song that drives Rebecca crazy--then he plays "Unchained Melody" and she gets all hot and bothered! That girl will go for any piece of music it seems.

The other two music changes (season 4: "Save the Last Dance For Me" and season 6: "Slumber Party Massacred") were rather minor and lasted only a few seconds each. This one kinda hurts as it was integral to the story.

On the bright side: the shows look great and Paramount is using the original full-length episodes. Not a single syndicated version out of the so-far 7 seasons.

By the way, I had forgotten what a short season this one was. Due to the writers' strike in 1988, production on the show started late and the first episode didn't air until late October.

Richie C.

Stunt Coordinator
Did anyone else notice a brief freeze-frame glitch in the second scene of the first episode, where Sam and Rebecca are talking about her blouse? The picture suddenly freezes like someone had hit the pause button on the remote.

Nick_TV

Stunt Coordinator

There are many reasons to not buy a tv dvd set - extensive deleted scenes, syndicated episodes, extensive music changes, high price, etc. But, a slight music change like the one for cheers 7 shouldn't be that big of a deal. Yes, it happens to be one of the more important music changes, but it's just that one scene and not worth trashing the entire season for. It's not like we're going to get any better or replacement copies; we all knew it was coming a few months ago. This season has tons of great episodes and I've enjoyed them a lot. I think you might be overreacting and missing out on some awesome Cheers episodes :emoji_thumbsup:. Anycase, your choice.

george kaplan

Senior HTF Member
I always get flak for skipping films or tv shows on dvd when there is any editing, censoring, modified aspect ratio etc., but unless it's extremely trivial (and this is certainly not), it's a matter of principle for me.

Brad P

Stunt Coordinator
At least they didn't replace it with some bizarre, generic music. They plopped down what they could to secure the rights to "Unchained Melody."

DanFe

Second Unit
Not buying a set because of 1 song. Good grief.:rolleyes:Definitely cutting off your nose to spite your face. It's even a song by the same musicians, not like the Quantum leap fiasco.

george kaplan

Senior HTF Member
OK, I set the bar at 1 song. You think that's too low. So what's the right number? 2 songs? 3 songs? 25 songs? Again, this is a matter of principle. And I'm not sure how I say, well 4 song replacements is OK, but 5 is too many as a matter of principle. And I'm not sure how to tell the studio that music replacement is wrong and unacceptable when I tell them, "just not too many, OK?".

TravisR

Senior HTF Member
I can understand setting standards (and their yours to set) but it's not like Paramount is ever going to release the set with the original song intact. I'm sure your position is "Well, if they don't fix it, I don't need it." but you're literally one of the few people in the world to actually not buy it due solely to the exclusion of that song. It's not going to be corrected. To me, it just seems like a lost cause to make a stand on.

That being said, it's your money and you can do what you want with it. :)

george kaplan

Senior HTF Member
Well considering the hundreds of other tv dvds I have and well over a thousand movies, if I never see Cheers season 7 again, so be it. And, with HD sure to arrive in some form at some time, I'm not at all sure that it won't get rereleased correctly. If so, I'll buy it at that time. If not, I'll happily watch tens of thousands of hours of other programming.

DanFe

Second Unit
As we look at Quantum Leap with the songs being wholesale replaced and we look at this one where the song is a different one by the same musicians and it is ONE song, I think you've carried it too far.

But, as Travis said, it's your money and besides I'm sure we all have enough discs to occupy us for years to come.

David Rain

Screenwriter
Real Name
Dave
I'll be getting this set regardless of the music change. It's annoying but not a deal breaker for me. I started to like the series less as it went on so one change in a season 7 episode isn't as much of a problem as say syndicated eps would be.

george kaplan

Senior HTF Member
I don't get this. All songs by a group or artist are not interchangeable. In this context, it's particularly horrendous cause a line of dialogue refers to song X, and then song Y is played. It would have been better to have a cover band try to imitate the right song, than have the wrong song played just cause it's the same artist.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
blitz
Recent bookmarks