Cheers Season 6 DVD Music Change

Discussion in 'TV on DVD and Blu-ray' started by Nick_TV, Sep 12, 2005.

1. Nick_TV

Nick_TV Stunt Coordinator

2. Nick_TV

3. Kevin_Lodge

Kevin_Lodge Stunt Coordinator

The only music I can think of off hand from season 6 was the Righteous Brothers "You've Lost That Loving Feeling". But that song was such a big part of that episode I can't see them not getting the rights to it.

4. Dale MA

Dale MA Screenwriter

Dale
    I think that was written on the back of season 3 (or was it 4?) as well but I didn't notice anything different. I think companies are slapping that on the back of DVD sets now as a fail safe.

5. WillG

WillG Producer

Wasn't that changed in syndication as well? I remember seeing that episode on TV not too long ago and I believe the song that they referred to was "You've Lost that Loving Feeling" but the song that ended up being used was "Unchained Melody" Can anyone else confirm?

6. Kevin_Lodge

"You've Lost That Loving Feeling" was the song that turns Rebecca into "Back Seat Becky"

"Unchained Melody" was sung by Bobby Hatfield at Rebecca + Robin's wedding when she was going down the aisle.

** Hope spoliers are not necessary since these shows are 20 years old

7. WillG

WillG Producer

Perhaps, but I do seem to vividly recall that "Unchained Melody" was used in Syndiacation for "Back Seat Becky" as well. Or, at least, it was not "You've Lost That Loving Feeling" (even though it was referenced in the episode.)

8. Nick_TV

I do remember that "You've Lost That Loving Feeling" is played in syndication. I don't remember which episode, but it is in syndication.

9. Kevin_Lodge

OK -- now this is driving me nuts. Does anyone know the name of the episode where this happens?? I looked thru tv.com site but can find no mention. I thought it was in season 6 -- but maybe not.

10. Nick_TV

Found it. Perhaps I was mistaken, but I'm sure I've heard "You've Lost That Loving Feeling" played in syndication somewhere.

It's "Please Mr. Postman" in season 7 where Sam is trying to find Rebecca's song. Check out the episode trivia on tv.com -> http://www.tv.com/cheers/please-mr.-...0/summary.html

That may explain the music change in season 7, but what about season 6?

11. Nick_TV

I just finished the 6th season box set and here are a list of the musical pieces I found.

1. "Paint Your Office": Sam turns on the radio in Rebecca's apartment and it plays music.

2. "A Kiss Is Still a Kiss": Rebecca hits the jukebox in the bar with her purse and it plays a song. This one seems the most probable, but I never saw the original version.

3. "Slumber Party Massacred": When the girls are having their sleepover, they play some records. Seems like the same as in syndication.

4. "Slumber Party Massacred": When the guys crash the party, Norm is holding a boombox but there doesn't seem to be any sound coming out. I'm pretty sure it's the same way in syndication, but I don't know about the original.

5. "Back Seat Becky, Up Front": Sam turns on the radio in Rebecca's apartment and it plays music.

I think these are all the music scenes for this season. I never saw the original airings, so could someone confirm or deny which of the above 5 might be the music changes the back of the box refers to? Did I miss any others?

P.S. - There doesn't appear to be any mention of "You've Lost That Loving Feeling" or "Unchained Melody" in this season. Since, we know there is no footage missing, the music change can't refer to that for this season.

12. Elena S

Elena S Supporting Actor

I remember the jukebox episode. Wasn't that song "Please, Mister, Please" by Olivia Newton-John?

13. James_D

James_D Auditioning

anyone have any updates on what this might be?

14. Casey Neutron

Casey Neutron Stunt Coordinator

I have every episode from season 3 through 11 on vhs from their original prime-time broadcasts. I've checked the episodes in question from the above post. Here's what I found:

"A Kiss Is Still a Kiss": The music is unchanged. The same song plays on the jukebox.

"Slumber Party Massacred": No sound from Norm's boombox in either version.

"Slumber Party Massacred": At about 20:15 we return to Carla's house where they are listening to music. In the original broadcast version, the music playing is Roy Orbison's "Only the Lonely." The dvd version has replaced this song with something generic.

"Back Seat Becky, Up Front" and "Paint Your Office": All music is the same in both dvd and original broadcast versions of these episodes.

So the only music changed is the brief appearance of the Roy Orbison song. I've never seen the syndicated version of this episode, so I can't say whether or not this change made its debut on dvd.

If anyone has any questions about any other episodes I'll be happy to compare them for you.

15. James_D

James_D Auditioning

Wow. Thanks a million. It must be cool to have all those on VHS. I have all but about 20 episodes of the Wonder Years on tape from the original run. Of course I taped them as a kid and did them all SLP mode. At least I have what I have though.

I wonder if there is more?

16. Dale MA

Dale MA Screenwriter

Dale
    Cheers S6 has just been released in the UK, I've picked it up and have just noticed something odd, each of the other seasons so far are called "The Complete **** Season" however this season is just called "The Sixth Season"... The lack of the words "complete" is making me nervous here, I'm hoping that it's just because "Only the Lonely" has been removed.

Surely they would release the same versions here in R2 that they released in R1?

Anyone else pick-up the R2 set? Can anyone shed any light on this?