What's new

Cheers on DVD - Paramount Please (1 Viewer)

John Berggren

Senior HTF Member
Please release season-boxed-sets of Cheers on DVD.

I've had Cheers cross my path several times in the last few months - an E! special about Cheers, and news that Cheers is in the process of remastering (and tilt-and-scanning - ugh).

I really just want to go where everybody knows your name.

I would love to pick up a season of Cheers in the off months when Star Trek DVDs are not coming out. Is it possible that Paramount could make this happen? I'm ready for this series on DVD.

I would want it in it's Original Aspect Ratio. Cast or creator commentary would be welcome. Laugh-track-free soundtrack would also be welcome.

Upon finishing my 11-box Cheers collection I would happilly move right into Frasier.

Please release Cheers on DVD!

Bjorn Olav Nyberg

Supporting Actor
I second that, Cheers is one of my favorite shows, but it's been way too long since it has been available to me.

I also definitively agree this show should be in it's original aspect ratio, that is 1.33:1

Walt Riarson

Supporting Actor
Cheers on DVD would be an absolute goldmine for Paramount. I'm sure it's only a matter of time. I hope.

MatthewA

BANNED
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Matthew
I don't think there exists a laugh-free track, as the show was filmed with a live audience.

But cast my vote. And season sets; none of that "volumes" BS you're pulling with I Love Lucy.

John Berggren

Senior HTF Member
Matthew
You might be right about that. I don't mind the live laughter as much as the canned, but it's still silly IMHO.
I'd just be glad to start stacking these up :).

Scott De

Grip
The sooner, the better, Paramount.

I suspect you have a lot of fans of the show that are anxiously awaiting this on DVD.

I know I am.

John Berggren

Senior HTF Member
Martin!!!!
Welcome back to the forum :). So happy to see you! :).
I wish you had better news, but perhaps I can get enough of my friends together to be just annoying enough to release cheers on DVD.
The only series I was ever interested in on videocassette was Star Trek TNG. With the advent of DVD, I've been very interested in owning a variety of programs... I think DVD is the best (only) way to enjoy a lot of shows.
Perhaps more people will sign on :).
Thank you for letting us know the current stand though :).

David Lambert

Senior HTF Member
Martin, I wonder if you shouldn't talk to Gord over at TVShowsOnDVD about Cheers. I think, from what I've seen, it might be among the shows that users of the site express more interest in that your skepticism indicates. Gord can tell you for sure...ask him when you get the chance!

MatthewA

BANNED
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Matthew
How does one count how many people would like to see a release of a certain show on that site?

David Lambert

Senior HTF Member
Well, there's two ways:

1) Count the number of hits that the info screen for the show gets. It's usually indicative of interest, just like the number of hits a web site gets overall. However, many hits can be mistakes, research, or repeated lookups for new information from the same small group of people. So it's an okay guideline, but not the method I'd use.

2) The better way is that anyone who signs up as a user of the site (it's free, and no spam is generated from registering) can state that they want to purchase a particular show, like Cheers, on DVD. You can express your interest in either Season-by-season box sets (a la X-Files), individual episodes (a la Star Trek: TOS), or Best-Of compilations (a la Spongebob Squarepants). This is commonly referred to as "voting", and registers 1 request (vote) for the show to be put out on DVD. The top 10 vote-getters are always listed at the statistics screen, which is the first thing you see after you log in. Cheers isn't currently in the top ten, but my impression is that it's somewhere in the Top 25. That's just a hunch, though.

Gord Lacey

Senior HTF Member
Matthew,

As David said the top 10 requested shows are displayed when you log into the site. I can't display any more then that because of the complex query that's performed to calculate the top shows. It ties the server up for awhile as it is.

David was right about the show being in the top 25...possibly even the top 20.

Gord

Jeff Kleist

Senior HTF Member
Martin, good to see you

While I officially hate Cheers (but love Frasier) I suggest you use what I like to call "The AnimEigo Method"

You have people pre-order until you reach the amount you need to justify the expense of producing the set. Then you announce a cut-off date. You author the discs, print to order ( plus some for defects) and ship them (I'm sure some etailer would handle distribution of it for you, hopefully without the problems of "My So Called Life") and there you go. People are happy, and you're sitting on 11 season sets of Cheers all mastered.

It's win/win

Gord Lacey

Senior HTF Member
I did a search on google earlier today and came across this article on the Kodak website:
http://www.kodak.com/US/en/motion/ne...1/cheers.shtml
It appears that "Cheers" is already being digitally remastered for HDTV. Here are a few quotes from the article:
Murphy says that the proliferation of cable and satellite TV channels, DVD and other home video systems is creating a demand for proven content. Paramount Television is also restoring and re-mastering The Love Boat, another popular series.

TerryW

Stunt Coordinator
Martin,

The few TV shows that were available on VHS (Twilight Zone and Star Trek probably being the most popular) were not that successful because it wasn't practical to purchase a whole season, let alone, a whole series at $10 or $15 per tape. With seasonal boxed sets on dvd being relatively cheap and selling well I think it's very plausible that people would buy Cheers and a lot of other TV shows.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Joshua32
Recent bookmarks