What's new

Cheers - odd photo (1 Viewer)

Jack_F

Stunt Coordinator
Check this page:

http://www.tvshowsondvd.com/news.cfm

(Click on the link for Cheers)

There is a photo on the pop-up page that shows what is to be the details of the box set. Notice it says "widescreen"

This must be a misprint... There is no way a show from 1982 was shot in widescreen, is there?

-Jack

Vince Maskeeper

Senior HTF Member
They were retransfered for HDTV using "tilt and scan"- cropping the top and bottom. Happened last year- was an article about it posted here somewhere.

-Vince

David Lambert

Senior HTF Member
This was already brought up in a very recent thread.

Gord Lacey, owner of TVShowsOnDVD, called his contacts at Paramount the next day and asked about that picture. I'll point him to this discussion; Gord apparently never got around to posting a news item to inform everyone of the answer; perhaps he got distracted and forgot about it! (Just needling you, Gordo :) )

Anyway, I guess it's okay for me to pass on what he told me. Gord's contact (who I won't name without permission, but its a rather definative source!) "said that Cheers isn't Widescreen and he'll be asking someone to fix the artwork".

As far as I'm concerned, case closed. This person is very definative about this sort of thing: if he says it's gonna be in its fullscreen OAR, it IS. No worries from me anymore. I'll be buying it!

David Lambert

Senior HTF Member
P.S.: The original HTF thread about Tilt And Scan for Cheers can be found here, but unfortunately the article linked to is long gone, and not quoted at all. :frowning:

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
thinksinc
Recent bookmarks