What's new

CHECKMATE - The Complete Series DVD set (Timeless) (1 Viewer)

DeWilson

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Denny
Anyone pick this up yet?

What did they use for masters?

overall quality?

Larry Tate

Stunt Coordinator
Real Name
Larry Tate
Has anyone bought this Checkmate complete set & if so were they remastered, restored from original studio 35 mm prints or were they the best unrestored 16 mm prints they could get from collectors?

Larry Tate :)

Jack P

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Jack
I'm still waiting for my set from Deep Discount but I would assume it's the same as before with collectors prints. There is no way that they're getting access to 35mm vault prints for something like this without spending a fortune.

Gary OS

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Gary
I just heard from a good friend here at HTF, via PM, who bought this set and has already watched several episodes. The prints are not remastered in any way, and they are cut for time. It's a real shame, but this looks to be similar to the M Squad dvd set Timeless released last year in terms of quality.

Gary "sorry to be the bearer of bad news" O.

borisfw

Screenwriter
Real Name
Frank
I was hoping that Sam's would carry this . But that doesn't seem to be the case . The last few Timeless releases that have came out havn't showed at my local Sam's . I will eventually pick this up when i can find it on sale online .

Jack P

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Jack
Originally Posted by Gary OS

I just heard from a good friend here at HTF, via PM, who bought this set and has already watched several episodes. The prints are not remastered in any way, and they are cut for time. It's a real shame, but this looks to be similar to the M Squad dvd set Timeless released last year in terms of quality.

Gary "sorry to be the bearer of bad news" O.

Frankly, I was already expecting this. I didn't think the source material would be any better than the two "Best of" releases and that this time it was just a matter of having the whole series economically and in concise packaing. THe boxed set of the complete series actually takes up LESS space than did the two best of sets in their single disc three case Amray sets.

Professor Echo

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Glen
Thanks for the heads up, Gary. I guess I should have expected it given that the few episodes I watched on THE BEST OF had inferior quality and were edited. Given the price of this package I'll probably just stick to my alternate set, which is pretty horrible looking, but it doesn't sound like I would be trading up.

You equate this set with M SQUAD in terms of quality, but as far as you know they didn't include any edited shows on the M SQUAD release, did they?

POINT "I sure wish Timeless could get their act together and have some consistency" BLANK

Jack P

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Jack
I really don't think TImeless can be blamed on this, or the other sets that have to use 16mm prints. The bottom line is that if Universal ever got around to making a tape set at some point, then the episodes are going to look better and if Universal never did, we'll just find ourselves stuck with the 16mm prints because an operation like Timeless couldn't possibly afford to pay for a new set of transfers.

I think if one can get it at a discount where it's no more than $50 as I was able to do, it's still a good buy overall, and it's interesting to see Doug McClure in a contemporary show just before sliding into "The Virginian" two years later.

smithb

Screenwriter
Real Name
Brad Smith
Jack,

Did you have either of the "Best of" sets? I'm curious to know if the video quality has stayed consistent between the new episodes in comparison with what was released before.

Jack P

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Jack
The 24 episodes that were in the best of are clearly the same prints, and they were evidently the best looking ones because the pilot with Anne Baxter is a much better looking episode than the first one I watched which had Julie London guesting, which seemed much rougher looking. I think its evident that they probably had to scrounge to find every episode which is what delayed a complete season release for awhile but this is likely to be the best we'll see it. Its not the worst kind of release I've seen, but you have to go in with slightly lower than usual expectations and let your interest in the show guide your choice.

smithb

Screenwriter
Real Name
Brad Smith
That's been my fear from the beginning, how many and how bad some of the episodes would end up being to make a complete collection. I have found the show interesting though, so it might be a pickup some day at the right price and when no higher priority release is looming in the horizon. I happily own M-Squad so lesser quality is okay if I get enough enjoyment from a show.

JayHink

Second Unit
Real Name
Jason
This wasn't on my to-get list & I've never seen it, but I spotted a complete series set still shrink wrapped in a thrift shop & snagged it for $8. (Amazon currently lists it at $50.)

Looking forward to checking it out.

MartinP.

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Martin
I have a "Best of Season One" set with 12 episodes on it. My memory is that the video quality wasn't that great, but let us know what it's like on the complete series set you got--we'll see if you agree with some of those posts above. If I saw it for $8 I'd surely pick it up! I liked the series regulars and the roster of guest stars was also of interest. The premise is also something different, a detective agency specializing in trying to prevent serious crimes from happening before they do. An early "Minority Report" kind of premise. (So as not to confuse anyone, it is not sci-fi.)

ChrisALM

Supporting Actor
Real Name
Chris
I have the two "Best of" releases and the Complete series release for Checkmate. IIRC, the same source for the episodes on the "Best of" releases were used for the Complete series set. The picture quality is somewhat variable but most of the episodes are very watchable to me. I like the show, find the stories interesting and enjoy the cast. There were only a few episodes where the picture quality affected my enjoyment of the show and this was because the picture was too dark.

I would definitely purchase an upgrade, but realistically, this is a Universal show, so this is probably all we will be getting for the foreseeable future. You got a great buy for your $8.

DeWilson

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Denny
Most of what was used for CHECKMATE, M-SQUAD, SOLDIERS OF FORTUNE, ARREST & TRIAL and RIVERBOAT were from 16mm prints rescued by film dealers in the 1980's - and ironically are the same prints that collectors sourced from for the VHS copies that went around for 20 years.

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
H-508
Recent bookmarks