What's new

Directors Checklist series recommendations (1 Viewer)

Brook K

Senior HTF Member
I know George, that was more college Brook's view of the sort of folks who went to see Howard's End and the like. I remember in junior high not wanting to watch the Oscars because I'd never heard of any of the films nominated and being mad because stuff like The Lost Boys and Predator weren't up for awards :D

That was really said in the glow of waiting for my new Rohmer box set to arrive, I don't know that it is really that accurate. I'm counting the minutes until Land of the Dead comes out. I'm seeing it as soon as I possibly can, maybe take an extended lunch hour the Friday it's released. And I'm sure I'll be seeing Batman and other blowed up stuff films this Summer.

Steve Christou

Long Member
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Steve Christou

Hey we do have something in common after all Brook. I can't wait for Romero's zombie epic, especially after seeing a recent photo from LotD showing the undead munching on some poor sods intestines, better than watching two Frenchies in a room sipping tea and having a conversation, oui? :D

Maybe Jim can add George Romero to his line-up.:)

Bill McA

Senior HTF Member
After sitting through Romero's last 3 films (not to mention Day of the Dead), my anticipation for Land of the Dead has considerably waned a great deal.

However, against all odds...I'm still hoping that it'll be great and I will be seeing it if it shows up in these parts.

Bill McA

Senior HTF Member

Well Brook, how about a French zombie movie in which the zombies sit around sipping tea and discussing their relationships with their still living friends and family??

Are you drooling yet? :)

It's coming to DVD on June 21st
Les Revenants (They Came Back)

I saw this last year at the TIFF and really liked it! :emoji_thumbsup: :emoji_thumbsup:

Brook K

Senior HTF Member
The best idea for a movie I've heard since flying piranhas!

Too bad it doesn't have Fabrice Luchini or Arielle Dombasle.

JonZ

Senior HTF Member
Heres some I dont think have been done yet....

Milos Forman
Spike Lee
PT Anderson
Ivan Reitman
Ron Howard
Robert Zemeckis
Tim Burton

Steve Christou

Long Member
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Steve Christou
Paul Verhoeven, Tod Browning, Mel Brooks, Cecil B.DeMille, Don Siegel, Roger Corman?

If some of these don't sit well with your "Great Directors" series, you can always change it to "Famous Directors Checklist Series" Jim.:)

Bill McA

Senior HTF Member

I made that very same excellent suggeston to Jim earlier, but it was rebuffed. :frowning:

Steve Christou

Long Member
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Steve Christou

Jim's a bit stubborn, maybe if we tickle him until he gives in... :laugh: now now Jim how the hell are we going to get to John Badham, Roland Emmerich and Michael Bay if you stick to the "Great Directors" title, hmmm? ;)

george kaplan

Senior HTF Member
I think he should stick with "great directors". Hell, it's all a matter of opinion, but I certainly consider Mel Brooks a great director, and I don't consider George Romero or Kazan to be great directors, so you'd have to go back and change them to "famous directors."

Just leave it as "great directors" with the implicit understanding that we're talking about directors that at least some consider great. Of course, that may still leave out Roger Corman. :)

Jim_K

Senior HTF Member

Say what?

Actually those would be really fun to rate. Maybe I could do a spinoff series. ;)

Steve Christou

Long Member
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Steve Christou
Well you're the boss, we'll go along with whatever you decide.

btw I have more John Badham films in my collection than Orson 'bloomin' Welles, I hope you do get to him eventually. How about "The Not So Great Directors Checklist Series" ? ;)

Add Terence Fisher to your evergrowing list Jimbo, he directed all the best Hammer Horrors.:emoji_thumbsup:

Jim_K

Senior HTF Member

I was being a little silly before, it doesn't really matter to me if I change the title now. I doubt I could convince a mod into changing the previous 60 some that are already done though. ;)

I'll leave it up to a vote.

A. Change the title from "great" to "famous"

B. Leave it the way it is.

I've got Bill & George's vote already.

Steve Christou

Long Member
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Steve Christou
I would go with "famous" that way you can add any reasonably well known director to the mix, but as you say there are too many threads for the mods to change the title for you now and you don't want to affect the series continuity. So... up to you.

Bill McA

Senior HTF Member
I don't necessarily object to the directors already listed as being "Great", I just felt the the "great" tag was somewhat limiting as many of the most interesting directors out there aren't necessarily considered great to most people. (example: Jack Hill and many others).

Who (besides George :D ) doesn't want to see an Edward D. Wood Jr. checklist for example. :b

Brook K

Senior HTF Member
Just leave it the same, I mean if all it takes to be a great director is to entertain the expletive out of somebody, that leaves it pretty much wide open.

george kaplan

Senior HTF Member
Well Brook, here we have the crux of the disagreement. "all it takes" makes it sound like an easy thing to do. But if it were so easy to make an entertaining film, then you'd think some of the so-called great directors would have been able to do it at least once. :)

Seriously, I have a hell of a lot more respect for a director who can successfully entertain me, than one who can show off camera movements and film obtuse, meaningless dialogue, but can't figure out how the hell to tell a story.

I mean if all it takes to be a great director is to film a couple of zombies drinking tea and talking for 80 minutes, that leaves it pretty much wide open. Hell, give me a camcorder and 80 minutes worth of film, and I guess I'd qualify as a great director. :)

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest posts

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
CoolMovies
Recent bookmarks