checking test tones from speakers

Discussion in 'Archived Threads 2001-2004' started by Rick J, Nov 29, 2002.

1. Rick J

Rick J Stunt Coordinator

i'm a newbie to this group. i've searched and read posts from here for about the past 2 hours but haven't seen an answer to my problem. i'm very much a novice when it comes to ht setup,knowledge, etc. i'm a ht enthusiast trying to better my setup/experience and learn more as i go(like most here).
    sorry if this has been addressed elsewhere, but here's the problem. when i use the audio test tones from either the thx optimizer or from my receiver, i get sound coming out of more than one speaker at a time. for example, when checking the front right speaker volume, i also hear sound coming from the right rear as well. is that normal or is something wrong? i have checked all the polarities and they are correct.
    i have the avia disc and have used it for calibrating the video but need to purchase the rs sound meter to calibrate the audio. will this take care of my audio problem or is it something else?
    thanks! rick

if it helps, here's my setup:
    sony 53hs30 tv
    denon avr 1803
    klipsch ksw-12 sub
    klipsch sc-1 center
    klipsch quintets for mains/surrounds

2. Frank Carter

Frank Carter Screenwriter

No that is not normal. If you're receiver has "B" speaker outputs, maybe you accidentally hooked your surrounds into that. That's the only thing I can think of that would create your problem, other than a faulty receiver. If the THX optimizer and receiver tones are doing it, then Avia will probably do it as well.

3. Bob McElfresh

Bob McElfresh Producer

I think I know! [​IMG]
    You have one of the DSP modes like "Hall" or "Church" turned on. These effects 'steal' sound from say the front speakers and pump the sound out the rears to mimic an echo effect.
    Make sure all the DSP effects are turned off before you try to calibrate.

4. DerekF

DerekF Stunt Coordinator

You've double-checked your receiver is in Dolby Digital when you are doing this? Pro logic and PLII can cause some weird separations....

5. Jose G

Jose G Supporting Actor

Derek, I use an HK and it must be in PLII movie to do the test tones. I assume that it's different for Denon and other receivers.

6. Steve_Ma

Steve_Ma Second Unit

I second Bob's suggestion. If you're sure your speakers are hooked up right, it sounds like you're testing with one of the aforementioned DSP modes enabled. Make sure they are disabled.
    Look for an "AUTO" mode (or something resembling it). Many AVRs will use this to automatically decode whatever signal is being fed to the AVR without inserting anything other than a crossover in the path. It should also allow you to use discreet test tones.

Good Luck,
    --Steve

7. DerekF

DerekF Stunt Coordinator

8. Jose G

Jose G Supporting Actor

Derek,
    Actually I should clarify. I was referring to using the built in SPL meter called Ez set on my receiver. To use this method of calibration, you need to set the receiver to PLII Movie mode. I would guess that you are correct if a standard test disk and spl meter was used to test the system- which is what was being referred. Sorry about that. I was a bit over enthusiastic to post.

9. Geoff L

Geoff L Screenwriter

::::[​IMG]eleted:::::
    I probley created more confusion than I helped with the combo of posts between Rick the thread starter and Jose the H/K easy remote man...
    You thread high jacker [​IMG]
    I apoligize for not reading more clearly before adding my negative .02 cents worth!:b
    Cheers
    Geoff

10. Rick J

Rick J Stunt Coordinator

thanks guys for the feedback!

i've tried all the ideas posted here and still no luck.
    although i can now get the receiver's test tones to output from each individual speaker; when i use avia, i can't. when it does the channel id portion, etc, it's still outputing from more than one speaker at a time. i've tried with the receiver in pl II, dts, digital (no dsp mode) and still nothing. there's a couple other things that come to mind which i still need to address.

i have the 4 (in-wall)speaker wires coming into one wall box. from there, i connected the four wires via banana plugs to the back of a 4 speaker/8 hole wall connector plate. from there, i ran additional wires via banana plugs from the front of the connector plate to the receiver. because of these things, i've come up with a few questions.
    1) would there be any interference/problem with the in-wall speaker wires being next to each other in the walls? (they are away from electrical and phone wires)
    2) could there be a problem with the wall connector plate or banana plug connections?
    3) could it be the receiver?

i'm going to try connecting the in-wall wires directly to the wires going to the receiver w/o the banana plugs or the wall plate (to see if it's the wall plate/connectors). if that doesn't work, i may try just running four new wires from the receiver directly to each speaker to see if there may be a problem with the in-wall wiring(hope not!). i also plan on contacting denon to see if they have any suggestions. if i have to, i plan on getting a new receiver. any other suggestions, let me know...thanks again! rick

11. Jose G

Jose G Supporting Actor

Geoff,
    You were right the first time. I, José, have an HK, and you are right. here was my response:
    I re-read the manual. I have the HK225 entry level receiver, and in my follow up post I was trying to clarify that the manual states when using the Ezset feature, one should use the PLII Movie mode to adjust the output levels. It also suggests the same when doing manual output level adjustments and using a different SPL meter other than the built in meter. However, there is a different section of the manual called “Output Level Trim Adjustment” that states when using a test disk, the output levels can be seperately trimmed for each digital and analog surround mode. And yes, you are correct, it does state that the Ez remote can be used for this calibration set up. Once again, I thank you- as I did for the sub advice- for making me look a little deeper into this HT world, as I am just about to purchase a test disk to calibrate the soon to arrive DLS sub with. By the way, any advise on a not too expensive but good test disk?
    José

I didn't mean to highjack this thread at all. Sorry if it looks that way.

12. Geoff L

Geoff L Screenwriter

Hi Rick
    1)- No not likely assuming you used decent wire. Meaning good old 12-14 gauge Home Depote or regular in wall speaker wire and their not laying on/or right next to any electrical currant flowing wire. And still then, not likely to cause the problems your having.
    2)- Could be if you got something wired wrong at the jackplate or maybe a stray wire strand touching another of the mounted binding posts in the jack plate.
    3)- Possibly but not likley. Until you test with (new seperate wire runs to each speaker) *(elimnating the in wall speaker wireing and wall plate)* you wont know for sure.
    You hit the nail on the head! [​IMG]
    As you said, until you do the new seperate wire run to each speaker you won't know for sure where the problem is. Bummer, it definitly sucks, been their before my self when wiring my brother house for 6.1 speaker wire, Sat, and phone. Got a set of speaker wires crossed, along with one little strand of frayed speaker wire toucing another speaker post in the other jack plate, it did all kinds of weird stuff when we fired up his system. Fortunatly I labeled all the wires and a quick pull of the wall plates and we found the problems....
    Good luck
    Geoff