What's new

Checking out insulated glass (1 Viewer)

Eric_L

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Eric
I need a glass guru. After Hurrican Charley I paid extra to have the west facing windows in my home replaced with double-paned glass. I thought it would solve the solar oven problem in my diningroom.

Well - it didn't. The windows are quite warm to touch when the sun is on that side of the house.

I called the window installer and he came out to check them. I wasn't home when he was there. He opened the windown and felt the inside pane, then he felt the outside pane. There was a noticeable difference in temperature - the outside being much hotter. He used that as evidence that the windows were indeed insulating.

I'm not so sure I agree. I mean - the inside of my home is air-conditioned - it would seem natural that the interior of the glass would be cooler - no? It does not mean that the glass is not transferring heat into my home.

How do I check on this to make sure I'm being given the straight dope? Anyone know?

BrianW

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Brian
Double-pane glass is intended to reduce heat transfer due to conduction, not radiation. It simply keeps the heat from the air outside from heating the air inside (or vice-versa) without any regard for what the sun happens to be doing that day.

But your problem is not heat due to conduction, but heat due to radiation, if I understand your "solar oven" description correctly. For that, you need Low-E glass, which helps to block radiant heat from the sun from entering the house.

You can get a Low-E film to put on the glass you now have, but honestly, if your window supplier supplier knew anything about your situation, they should have known -- or at least suggested -- that Low-E glass was really what you needed to get.

Todd Hochard

Senior HTF Member
As noted, If the windows aren't Low-E, then they aren't much benefit against the Sun's radiation.
I added Low-E films to the east and west windows of my home when I lived in Orlando. It made a significant difference. HOWEVER, this doesn't mean that you can leave a vast expanse of glass uncovered, and expect no heat gain from the sun's direct rays. You can't cheat physics.;)

Jay H

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Jay
Cool, never heard of it so I just checked it out. Sounds like a cool concept. What I do in the summertime is I simply pull down the blinds and close the windows during the day (which I'm not usually home either) and then during the evenings, I simply reverse the process. With the Low-E film, it sounds like I'd be able to stop doing that while most of the UV radiation and the heat from the sun, while not making my house a dark cave... I must check that out some more...

Any good sources for inexpensive rolls? Saw a place online for $58 for a 48'x15' roll...

Jay

Jeff Gatie

Senior HTF Member

Hey I thought this was the HTF, what's wrong with the house being a dark cave? ;) My brother always comments that he never knows when I'm home if he drives by my house (uhhh, there's a Jeep in the driveway??) because the shades are always drawn. I tell him "I never put the shades up, it causes reflections on the 55" widescreen." He just looks at me like I have 6 heads. :D

Jay H

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Jay
I probably appear like a recluse since I bike to work, my car is almost always in my driveway except for my longer weekend trips! :)

Jay

Eric_L

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Eric
Thanks all - apparently I got hozed. The Low-E glass won't work because the WAF refuses to accepte a mirrored finish on the windows... Maybe I'll have to get solare screens or something. Good to know that the windows aren't bad - just the guy who sold them to me.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.