Checked Out Speakers Today

Discussion in 'Speakers & Subwoofers' started by Codey J, Mar 19, 2005.

1. Codey J

Codey J Auditioning

OK...I went out to Tweeter today and listen to a few different brand satellite speakers. I took a friend with me that does not care for Bose so he wouldn't pick them just because of there name or looks. He's more interested in and has floor speakers, so the sats would be a new experience for him. I'm mainly interested in the speakers for movies. So that what we listen/watched. We listen to Polk Audio RM10, Mirage (both Nanosat & Omnisat), Gallo & Bose. I'm sorry to say...and so was my friend...the bose sats sounded the best. But only the sats...the bass module suck, really sucked. We turned on another sub with the Bose...sounded way better. But I'm not done yet. I just can't get over the price for the Bose...and I would need to buy another sub to go with it. Besides that, my new house is pre-wired and I don't think the Bose would work. I still have other brands to check out. There is a Paradigm dealer near me. I'm going to check them tomorrow.

Question, do you have the use the bass module with the Bose? Is there something special that makes the two work together or can you eliminate the bass module and plug the speakers straight from the receiver and use a different sub.

2. David Bikeman

David Bikeman Stunt Coordinator

How did you A/B the Bose and the other speakers? There are "tricks of the trade" that salesman use to make one speaker sound better than another. All the speakers you auditioned are much more accurate than B*se.
    The base module is not a subwoofer. The satellites are so feeble, they don't produce much under 300hz. The base module fills in below this point but not into the range of a sub.

David

3. MikeyWeitz

MikeyWeitz Supporting Actor

Mirage and Gallo would absoluely SMOKE anything Bose has ever created or plans to create over the next 30 years.

Not even close.

Like comparing a Ferrari with a Honda scooter!

4. Codey J

Codey J Auditioning

The salesman doesn't like Bose either. I was surrounded by Bose haters. He wasn't trying to get me to buy them. Actually, the salesman didn't try to get me to buy anything. He was neutral and told me to pick what I like.

The Omnisat..I need give them other chance. They weren't working right and the salesman spent too much time screwing with them. I will go back today.

5. Wayne Ernst

Wayne Ernst Cinematographer

Any speaker in Tweeter, would smoke Bose. Whether it was Polk, Sapphire, Sonus Faber, etc.

OK, now, I feel better. [​IMG]

6. VinhT

VinhT Second Unit

It doesn't really matter that the other speakers are more accurate though. Every person has a different taste, and if he likes Bose, then he will be happy with them.

7. Ralph B

Ralph B Supporting Actor

thing is what were the bose running off of ?

I highly doubt the bose would sound better than anything else they demod.

somethings wrong or somethings "tricky" correct with how the bose was running.

8. Codey J

Codey J Auditioning

I went and listen to the Paradigm Cinema Series....70CT to be exact. I will say that I was impressed with the satellites but the sub that went with that setup was horrible. It was only an 8" drive and kept "popping" while watching Star War Pod Race Scene. I was actually more interested in the Cinema 90CT, but they did not have that one on display. Cinema 90CT comes with a 10" sub which I hope could handle more bass. I did not buy them yet because I wanted to hear them first, though they did tell me if I was not happy with the sub, that I could bring it back and they would work something out to get the 12". They quoted me $900 for the Cinema 90CT? Not sure what the going price is...it that fair?

9. Wayne Ernst

Wayne Ernst Cinematographer

If you spent $900 from an Internet subwoofer vendor (SVS for example), you'd mop the floor on the crazy sub that you saw and heard with the 8" driver for $900. Now, that is insane. This is the main reason why most people buy the fronts, centers and surround speakers that they like, but then spend less on the sub - when compared to the retail level, but get way, way more performance.

10. Ralph B

Ralph B Supporting Actor

ow! buy an SVS.

11. Mickey Brown

Mickey Brown Stunt Coordinator

That $900 is for the satellites and sub, not just the sub.

So many SVS honks on this forum it's getting rediculous at times.

12. Dave Lindhorst

Dave Lindhorst Stunt Coordinator

Listen to as many speakers as it takes till you find one you like. Taking someone with you to listen to speakers is like sending someone else to the doctor for a problem you have. Won't do much good. Buy the speakers that sound the best for your ears not someone else's. You will find many speakers others like but that is probably just a good place to start. Don't buy something someone else likes.

If it's for you and you ar paying then buy what sounds good to you. For your sake and the sake of other audiophiles I hope you don't find a pair of Lloyds in a garage sale you think are good. Just kidding. Have fun and take a few home and try them out. Any respectable place will have a 30 or 15 day trial at home with no strings attached.

13. Ralph B

Ralph B Supporting Actor

HONK HONK HONK - beep, beep! [​IMG]

14. Codey J

Codey J Auditioning

I wanted to try out the Orb Audio Mod 2 System. They are small satellites which is what I'm looking for. I dont know about that 8" sub, but I'll give a try. If I dont like the sub or any of it, I send it back. They offer a "no strings attached" gaurantee for 30 days. Plenty of time to find out if I like them...and they look pretty cool too. Anyone here have a set? How do they sound?

And yes, that was $900 for the satellites and sub.

15. SethH

SethH Cinematographer

Go for the Paradigm satellites, but skip the sub. Look at the lower-end offerings from Hsu and SVS for a sub (both offer subs in the $400 range).

16. Marco_Es

Marco_Es Auditioning

I have a set or Orbs...you won't be sending that sub back. It's by far the best 8" sub I've heard. It's got the snappiness you want for music, and the rumble you want for movies. The satellites totally rock, too...detail and clarity that combines w/ the sub perfectly.

17. John S

John S Producer

Friends don't let friends buy Bose. [​IMG]

18. Shawn_

Shawn_ Auditioning

Unless you moved each of the speakers and set them in the exact location of the others, using the same speaker wire, source, etc. then it's only so much of a test.

Plus, listening only really matters if you could use the same receiver you own.

But in reality, you really need to do a in home trial of each to see which ones you like best.

Case and point.

Based on the reviews on-line, I tried a set of the Athena Micra 6's, which I personally thought sounded like complete crap at BB. I was not impressed. . . even a little bit, but once I got them home they did impress me. While I don't feel they were ever worth the $500 they were asking, I did think they were worth the $299 I paid at the time. Nonetheless, I did end up returning them since I didn't want that small of a sub, and bought the Point 5 mkii's instead.

While they may not be in the same league as some of the ones your looking at, with the prices now, you can get them for $232 new, or an open box for $165 after the 20% coupon on their (Best Buy) site, which makes it's definitely cheap enough for a home trial.

You could then ebay the sub, get a HSU or SVS and have a pretty nice system for $500-$600 that would rival substantially higher priced ones.

Just an idea.

19. Greg Racki

Greg Racki Extra

Ok everyone, I'm ready to get attacked...

I went to a Bose outlet store and listened to one of their rehearsed demos in their little "bose theater." I must say that they were the best sounding speakers I've heard to date. They sounded better than the B&W 603s I auditioned a few weeks later. The music seemed clearer and the bass sounded tight and not boomy at all.

Now, I would never dream of spending the $4000 they wanted for the system (includign the "lifestyle" receiver), but it sure sounded great. Can someone please tell me what tricks Bose employs? I really want to know (I'm not being sarcastic), because I must say I was impressed and I don't want to be a sucker.

20. Max F

Max F Second Unit

Greg, did you mean to post in this thread?