Check this pic out and tell me if this is good speaker placement

Discussion in 'Speakers' started by Lanny_B, Apr 8, 2004.

1. Lanny_B

Lanny_B Second Unit

[​IMG]

I'm pre-wiring and I just had to move the couch back in my plans, so I'm wondering if this is a good sound arrangement.

Specific Questions:
    1. Is the subwoofer in a good spot?
    2. Are the side speakers too far back, or not far enough?
    3. If I got a second sub, where should it go?

Feel free to input any advice. The surround speakers are all Infinity satellites. I was thinking of upgrading the front speakers to towers.

2. Marc H

Marc H Second Unit

For the sub(s) you will have to experiment a bit but two subs makes it alot easier to avoid hot spots or bass nodes.
    Try the side effect speakers slightly more forward and see what you think before bolting anything to the wall. I've found that in the 7.1 and 6.1 set ups I have been doing for my clients that the side effect speakers are best about three or four inches forward of where your ears will be. Sounds more seamless and enveloping to me.

3. Justin Ward

Justin Ward Supporting Actor

Try moving the front speakers out from the wall and angling them in slightly. Regarding the sub. If I were you I'd try moving it into a corner and stacking the second sub on it.

BTW Mark H, are you the Mark H that runs Audioshop? I've been really satisifed with those SR-80s you sold me!

-Justin

4. Bill Blank

Bill Blank Stunt Coordinator

Lanny,

Get your front L&R speakers out from the wall. I'd stick their baffles were even with the gray 57" thing I assume is your TV. If it is your TV, get that center channel's front baffle flush with the TV screen.

Bill

5. Justin Ward

Good suggestion Bill, I overlooked that one. I noticed a big improvement in overall clarity when I made sure the front baffles of all my speakers would slightly overhang the stands/shelves they were on.

About the side speakers, I'd agree with Mark. In my 5.1 I like them a bit behind so I can get that phantom back center speaker when I'm in the sweet spot. But since you are running 6.1/7.1 it would probably help to move them slightly forward to decrease the distance between those speakers and the fronts.

6. steve nn

steve nn Cinematographer

I wish I had your room Lanny. I have 6.1 capability but my couch backs up to the back wall. I have tried 6.1 and like it but 5.1 is better with my set-up imo. Wish I had a few ' behind me.

Try your sub in the back-right or left corner and see what you think? Might be to much gain but then maybe not? It looks as though your sub placement choice should give you the flattest response but you never mentioned your sub capability. You might want to consider just trying it and see what you think?

Hope you get what your looking for.

steve nn

7. Lanny_B

Lanny_B Second Unit

Thanks all. You mention stacking a second sub (I'm using a Dayton 10" 100W sub). Would that be better than balancing it by putting one in the front right corner, and one in the front left?

I have claimed the RIGHT SIDE OF THE COUCH (TM), where my wife has the left. I like my seat rumbling from the bass more than she does, so I'm thinking once I get a longer cable I'll put the sub in the front right corner. Or, the back right (though that would require the longest cable).

8. Justin Ward

If you're really only concerned about the bass at one location I would go with stacking. Two subs in two locations can give bass that is more even as you move throughout the room but for one location I think stacking would be better.

Do this method I've heard of (if possible):
    Put the sub where you usually sit
    Crawl around while listening to some bass-heavy material to see where the bass response is best. Try to find a spot where the bass is even and you can live with the subs location, i.e. not in front your TV[​IMG] . You might want to try the corners first, they tend to give the best bass response.

I think this calls for a bass-shaker install on your side of the couch[​IMG]

9. Lanny_B

Lanny_B Second Unit

I'm actually not sure what baffles are, but I think you're talking about the front of the speakers? If so, are you saying I should have all the front ones flush together? Or else someone was saying I should angle them? Just trying to follow.

Also, I'm wondering about moving the side speakers up. I like having that feeling that there's sound behind me, and since most movies are 5.1, I thought of trying to get the side speakers slightly behind my ears at least. But do you think I'll still get a full enough effect with them pushed forward a little?

10. Justin Ward

Your reciever likely has a mode that takes information common to both surrounds in 5.1 and plays them through the back speakers.

11. Lanny_B

Lanny_B Second Unit

It's true, my Onkyo receiver can force the signal to play in Dolby EX or DTS Matrixed, but I was under the impression that wasn't the best idea for quality sound. That's all I know about it though, I just read that from some others on this forum.

12. Bill Blank

Bill Blank Stunt Coordinator

Lanny,

You're correct, the baffle is the front of your speaker. The center channel should be flush with the front of the TV cabinet. The L&R speaker's baffles should be further out towards the seating area than the center and then angled in (toed-in) as much as you desire to for a solid soundstage across the front of the room.

Where they're situated now, up against the front wall, you'll get boomy bass and terrible imaging as the sides of the TV next to the speaker create all kinds of unwanted reflections.

What did you use to make the diagram of your room?

Bill

13. Lanny_B

Lanny_B Second Unit

Thanks.

I used Photoshop. I tracked down a floorplan, scanned it in, cleaned it up and then was able to use it for my plans. Last time I was arranging my house I made a 3D model in Maya. It seemed a little overkill, especially because it took me a long time to get things to scale. Guess that's what happens when I'm a digital artist for a living. [​IMG]

14. Derek*C

Derek*C Auditioning

Actually you should have the front of your speakers PAST the front of your TV. At least a few inches. Try this.. play some music on your PC and push the speakers back on the sides of the monitor, then bring them up in front of the monitor. You'll be shocked at how much better it sounds without something between the speakers. The same holds true with your TV and main speakers.
    I run two subs behind the main speakers and played with the phase adjustments. Great for music, and OK for HT.. but I still blew an A/C register out of the ceiling watching "the Pod Race" [​IMG]
    Good luck