Check This Out!!!

Discussion in 'Archived Threads 2001-2004' started by Chris Bates, Dec 5, 2001.

1. Chris Bates

Chris Bates Stunt Coordinator

Hey Guys, check this amp out. I own a car audio shop in NC, and Im thinking of expanding to home audio. I sell this companies car audio line, and I must say, im seriously impressed with the quality, and price. I have not found another subwoofer at twice the price that can touch the Magma series. I can also tell you that after ten years in the business, Ive learned than 95% of the companies out there over rate their products, and fudge on the specs. To my supprise, when I started selling Earthquake I quickly found that most of their prodicts are UNDER RATED. When I build a sub enclosure, I measure the TS Parameters for the woofer that I intend to use, regardless of whether or not I have used that model subwoofer before. Factory parameters can be off by a considerable amount. Ive also learned through experience that no two subs are identical, there are small variances in the parameters. For most cases, factory specs will do just fine, but when somebody pays you $10,000 for a sound quality system, you make sure they get what they pay for. Earthquake's specs hold closer to true than almost any other sub ive used, and the parameters stay closer from unit to another than all but one that I have used. Well, I just wanted to give you a little background on me and Earthquake before you checked out their home theater amp. Please take a look at the rest of the site.
    Note: If you want to return to their home page, do not click on home, use your browsers address bar to back the curser up to the main page (i.e. www.earthquakesound.com)
    They have been making changes to their site, and they need to work out a couple bugs.
    Here sre the links to the product page, and a review page.
    Let me know what you think.
    http://www.earthquakesound.com/serv01.htm
    http://www.earthquakesound.com/toppage2.htm

2. Hank Frankenberg

Hank Frankenberg Cinematographer

Yes, I've read that review and noticed posts that the Cinenova power amps have great sound quality. I just didn't know that they are an Earthquake product! Wow, that's quite an accomplishment for a car-audio company!

But, as usual with the upper-end stuff, they're too expensive for my budget.

3. Geoff L

Geoff L Screenwriter

Yes , , , pricey but good stuff from everything I've read... Home stuff!
    Their car stuff I have used and for the most part very good. Thier PR's at thier price, are a weak point IMO. One can do much better else where.
    Do you agree Chris? Speaking of thier PR's....
    Geoff

4. Chris Bates

If by "PR's" you mean power ratings, I disagree. Lets take their PH-D2 amplirier for instance. This amp has won more spl copmpetitions than any other amplifier....ever( http://www.earthquakesound.com/phd2.htm . This amp is rated at 1150 x1 into 4 ohms, and 2000 watts RMSx1 into 2 ohms, and draws alot lesst current than amplifiers pulling less power. Car HiFi magazine tested the D2 at 77 amps at 845 watts, and 140 apms at 1436 wrms at 2ohms. Car Audio and Electronics magazine tested 152 amps at 1600 wrms, which is nearly 70 amps less than any other amp in its league. Couple that with its Mono block digital amplifier,Full time low pass operation, and a Variable 24dB Linkwitz Riley filter and youve got one hell of an amp... Like I said before, they are very under rated, where as most others are over rated. As for the price, the D2's MSRP is $999, but no one sells it for that, I get $700 ea. for them, and cant keep them in stock. Ive "Played" with some of the "best" amps out there, and I can honestly say that this amp is at the top of the list.
    I have been selling Earthquake since 1994 when it became available in my area, many people laughed at the "new guys", until they heard them, then they all wanted it. Every time I branch out to a new area that has never had Earthquake before, I get the same thing...people dont want to believe that an Earthquake can outdo, lets say a Kicker L7, well, its true.. no contest, the Magma out performs the L7 hands down. "Why does he keep going on about car audio in a HT forum?" you might ask, well, its just that the Magma is the same sub they use in their HT subs, and the technology that is used in the D2, is the exact same technology that is present in their HT, and Professional amps. The magma's claim to fame is the ability to destroy a poorly built box. I personally have seen a Magma shatter a 3/4 inch MDF enclosure. I wont use anything less than 1" MDF when I buid a box for this monster, even though its only "Rated" at 500wrms. But dont take my word for it...
    "The Earthquake Sound SuperNova MKII reached 113 dB at 35 Hz. This was the highest output level delivered by any subwoofer we had tested up until that time"...Subwoofer Buyers Guide. http://www.earthquakesound.com/newpage3.htm
    Sorry for this post being so long, I got a little carried away.

5. Geoff L

Geoff L Screenwriter

Chris,
    Excellent amp information and all true!!!
    I should have been clearer about the PR's. Yes woop ass amps, no question!
    Buy PR's, I ment Passive Radiators.
    Would be curious as to your take on them..??
    I dont feel that thier junk buy any means, and please let me add I dont know if they have improved on thier designs or have different model lines. I speak of the Magama driver you spoke of and thier----> ~{PR counter part}~.
    Have you used them, and compared them to other brands in some of your home or car designs? Build, travel, balance, weighting design....
    Whats your take E-Quake's PR's....
    Geoff

6. Chris Bates

Personally, I've only used a couple passive radiators, and never liked them much,.....until I used a SLAPS PR that is. Imagine the perfect port, with no noise, that can be tuned over and over again at a whim without tearing the enclosure apart. Thats a SLAPS PR. Not to mention that their construction allows you to tune them much lower than any other PR.
    I wasnt too excited about the slaps, I just figured "why not at least try it", and let me tell you, I was amazed, it has the longest throw of any PR that ive seen. I measured a solid 4 db gain over a sealed enclosure, with no port noise. The sound is clean, and impressive. They can be mounted in small enclosures, where a port may not be practical. Not to mention unlike a port, I found there to be no loss in frequency response. I couldnt begin to count the number of sub enclosures that I have built over the years, and Im a huge fan of porting a box. I still use ports more frequently since most of the enclosures that I build these days are fiberglass, including the port, but I have been using PR's alot more since I discovered the SLAPS, and they have not let me down yet. IMO, I think they will make a pleasant addition to almost any HT.
    http://www.earthquakesound.com/slaps.htm

7. Geoff L

Geoff L Screenwriter

Hey Chris you might want to check out Adire Audio's PR's...
    At it's price point I think you will be quite impressed. Im not saying it's the best or better than the Slaps, just given what you get for what you pay, impressive! Scary is more like it. Not the flash of the Slaps but lets talk some VD...
    Once thier, click componets, then drivers, scroll till ~{PR-15}~
    www.AdireAudio.com
    Regards
    Geoff