Check out what the BFD did for me!! : )

Discussion in 'Archived Threads 2001-2004' started by Jeffrey Noel, Feb 9, 2002.

1. Jeffrey Noel

Jeffrey Noel Screenwriter

All I can say is WOW! The Behringer Feedback Destroyer did some pretty amazing things to my SPL graph. Check it out!!
    (the dark blue line is without the BFD and the pinkish/purplish line is after the BFD)
    [​IMG]
    I do notice a hump at about 22 hz, but I thought I would leave it at that, as it may help out. Who knows, I may end up hating it this way.
    Also, for some stupid reason, I didn't measure the sub tonight past 63hz without the BFD. With the BFD, as you can tell, I stopped at 100hz.
    I will hopefully be getting pictures up of my new toy within a couple of days. I just have to borrow someone's digital camera.
    I would like to thank everyone who helped me out with my sub, and to Sonnie Parker for making the BFD so easy to use!
    Thanks a lot!
    BTW, here is the web-site to it:
    http://www-personal.ksu.edu/~jnp9369/Jeff%20Payne.htm

2. Jack Gilvey

Jack Gilvey Producer

"Wow" is right. [​IMG] Great job, Jeffrey! I imagine the sound has improved noticeably, especially with music.

3. Bill_D

Bill_D Supporting Actor

Ok, now I am convinced. I am going to get one ... probably at the local Guitar Center.

From my vantage point, You have tamed approx 20 dbls in some areas. I did a search on how to use it and found 2 methods: via computer hooked up to the BFD and manual entry into an Excel file. I will probably use the manual method because I don't won't to unhook the computer from upstairs and drag downstairs.

4. Brian Fellmeth

Brian Fellmeth Supporting Actor

In my town, the guitar center had them in stock for a very good price- $125 I think for the newest 1124P model. Thats alot of machine for $125.

Jeffery- do you have the filter parameters you used to flatten that curve handy ? Did you use the manual or commputer assisted method ?

5. Brian_J

Brian_J Second Unit

Yes you may find that you like your movies to have a bit of a "hump" between 30-50hz and music flat. The BFD is good because you can save multiple settings.

Brian

6. Jeffrey Noel

Thanks for the comments guys!
    First and foremost, if anybody is new to the BFD and needs help on how to use it, Sonnie Parker has made a wonderfully easy to understand and follow tutorial. You can find it here: http://www.troycable.net/~snap/bfdinfo.htm
    Bill, I was skeptical about getting one of these because I didn't really feel I needed one. But I am EXTREMELY happy I bought one. I got it from www.lentines.com. I think the total price, including shipping, was ~$135. Great deal!!
    Brian Fellmeth, I will have to check out the exact paramaters, but I had probably about 5 filters set with a large negative gain from 36hz to 80hz. I know the entire before the BFD graph isn't there, but I can tell you that it was around 95dB all of the way up to 80 hz. I did use the manual way, it's was a little more running back and forth, but it worked!
    Brian_J, how can I save different settings? I haven't read the BFD's instructional manual yet, which I probably never will. But do I just swich filters or what?
    Jack, thanks for the kind words. You surely helped me put this thing together! [​IMG]

7. I too have the BFD and it is a God save.

Example for you:

IIRC, use the dial to select channel 2 (1-10). Set the channel to PA. Then select filter 1 and set your gain +2db etc. Hit save. Then select channel 2. then hit save again.

8. Jeffrey Noel

Jack, after listening to a lot of CDs since I got it all set-up, I am amazed at the sound! [​IMG] [​IMG]
    It definitely has improved music. I haven't been able to watch any movies yet, but will be watching a lot this weekend. Can't wait to make this bad boy sing!