What's new

Check out what Best Buy is doing (1 Viewer)

Greg Johnson

Stunt Coordinator
I just ran across this on HFR's website. I guess I might have to take back some of the bad things I've said about BB. ;)

Greg

Justin Lane

Senior HTF Member
This is encouraging news. Hopefully they will increase their selection of both DVD-A and SACD offerings and not just move their current stocks to a new section. A price reduction on SACD, namely the Sony single layer discs, would also be nice.

J

Justin Lane

Senior HTF Member
I guess this means no more "stealth" marketing at Best Buy. I know one member who is going to be disappointed ;)

J

John Geelan

Screenwriter
My local Bestbuy (Westbury) has already moved all the DVDA's and SACD's into a rack in the Music dept.

Looks like it was just done the other day. No signage yet but it is encouraging that they stopped hiding the SACD's way in the back of the store where nobody goes.

Greg Johnson

Stunt Coordinator
As Justin said, hopefully they will increase their inventory of both formats and restock the ones that they sell. They don't seem to be be restocking titles at present. Maybe small but this is good news.

Greg

Scott Kriefall

Second Unit
Real Name
Scott
The Best Buy store in Maplewood, MN has had this new DVD-A/SACD section for at least a month. Unfortunately, the selection is terrible and they don't appear to be particularly interested in (re)stocking the shelves. Until that occurs, I'll continue to be doubtful of Best Buy's (or at least this particular store's) commitment to DVD-A and SACD.

The store 5 miles away in Roseville is even worse, though, so at least the Maplewood store is ahead by some miniscule measure. Heck, it took at least 6 months for the Roseville store to finally get around to marking down the Warner DVD-A discs after the price drops last year... and by that I mean 6 months after every other BB store had seemingly lowered their prices.

LanceJ

Senior HTF Member
Speaking of Best Buy......

I just came back from Best Buy and stopped to look at the sacd & dvd-audio sections. Back at the hidden :) sacd section they had lots of the Police sacd's. And here's a fun tidbit : they stuck their big yellow price tag RIGHT on top of the sticker that says whether or not it plays on a cd player or an sacd player. :rolleyes::rolleyes::rolleyes:Umm, I think someone needs to issue a certain memo to the music software employees................

And two component dvd/sacd players left (one new, one demo). That's it.

Dvd-audio? No changes. Same dumpy display section in the dvd-video department. Oh wait--they received another Mannheim Steamroller "Ambience" dvd-audio/CD title, this one is called "Bird Song". I'm not making fun....exactly. I have the"Summer Song" Ambience dvd-audio and the DTS track sounds great: the birds are so real sounding you start looking around for them & my dog runs to the speakers, turning her head back and forth! And when the thunder rolls over head--literally--from behind you to the front, it's really neat experience. Your sub gets into the act too when this happens. Great veging-out(sp?) music. It cost $18. "Bird Song" cost $15. Here's an article about these "double-hub" titles: Surround Pro's interview with Chip Davis.
Anyway, besides that not much going on there.

Saw the same JVC carousel dvd-a player and the same butt-ugly Toshiba SD-4800 player. No Sony sacd/dvd players.

Jeez, if Best Buy would just set-up a full HT system in a big listening room like they used to, people could really hear what surround music sounds like. Dang it!!! :angry:

LJ

Trina

Agent
The Best Buy here has had the DVD-A/SACD section for at
least a month, but there are still relatively few titles in
each format to choose from.

I went there a month ago looking for Frank Zappa's Halloween. No Halloween but someone had misplaced FZ's Zoot
Allures in the DVD-A section. Probably the same person who
bought Halloween before I got to it. :) Anyway, 3 weeks later I was over there again looking to see if there was anything new. Nope, but that Zoot Allures CD was still sitting there.

Plus, BB is about $3-4 more expensive on their DVD-A's and SACD's. I was at Circuit City and found The Last Waltz for
$22.94 and it was $27.99 at BB. Circuit City had a much better selection of SACD's too. I'm not a big CC fan, but I'll shop where the prices are the cheapest.

T

TonyD

Who do we think I am?
Ambassador
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Tony D.
i was just in there and saw the police sacd's.

priced at 14.99.

they all had a pre-placed sticker on them that said special introductory price.
not a best buy sticker.

Brian Glaeske

Stunt Coordinator
Media Play (owned by Best Buy) has a great selection of SACD and DVD-A intermixed in a common rack.

In fact many of Media Play's prices are better than Best Buy's prices.

Brian
P.S. Media Play doesn't have a loss leader policy on media their corporate parent. In other words BB tries to recoup media loss in BB stores by overcharging in Media Play stores.

MichaelTa

Agent
Went to the two BB's in Salt Lake City last weekend and one of the stores had all the DVD-A's all bunched up at the end of the DVD Music section. I had actually gone to the DVD music section looking for new DVD-A's and was surprised that I could not find any. I walked over the the obscure location they keep the SACD's in and no DVD-A's there. Walked back to the DVD Music section and saw the DVD-A's all bunched together and told myself it's about time they did something right. Picked up Frank Zappa Halloween. Went to the other BB to see what they had and the DVD-A's were still mixed in with all the DVD Music. As its a 45 minute drive for me to find any sort of music I tend to hit as many stores as possible. I for one am happy they are going to put them in one location. As for the CC's here they have the SACD's and the DVD-A's setup in the back of the stores with very few choices for any of the two formats. I had one store tell me they don't do those formats when in fact they do. I showed the uninformed employee's where they could find both formats as I was walking out of the store. hahaha

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
papill6n
Recent bookmarks