Check out this new $12,500 JBL speaker!

Discussion in 'Archived Threads 2001-2004' started by Sandra B., Oct 3, 2002.

1. Sandra B.

Sandra B. Extra

2. Scott_AH

Scott_AH Stunt Coordinator

45Hz-50Khz

3. John Garcia

John Garcia Executive Producer

John
    Horn loaded midrange AND separate horn loaded tweeter? Interesting. 400W handling. Looks like they will be seriously loud.

4. Sandra B.

Sandra B. Extra

50 Khz... seems like the only target of that tweeter is to break glasses!

5. Phil Iturralde

Phil Iturralde Screenwriter

6. mark rush

mark rush Stunt Coordinator

thats out of my price range!

7. JohnVB

JohnVB Stunt Coordinator

I wonder who will be buying that speaker? That's so expensive I can't even drool over it.

Hm, now this is interesting, quoted from the press release in the link above:

8. John Garcia

John Garcia Executive Producer

John
    What is interesting about that? I thought it was well known that Harman owned/is made up of those companies.

9. Tom Brennan

Tom Brennan Screenwriter

JBL has been selling high-performence horn systems like this in Japan for many years despite having abandoned the high-end of the American market many years ago.
    What's interesting to me is that the new midband compression driver has gone from a 4" 2440 type to a 3" diaphragm like the Lansing Mfg. 285 driver that Jim Lansing developed for the MGM Shearer Horn in the 1930s. That driver subsequently became the famous Altec-Lansing 288 that is considered by it's many cultists the ultimate compression driver. So JBL drops the Western Electric influence of the 2440 and returns to the principles of it's founder, very interesting indeed.
    www.chicagohornspeakerclub.org

10. Danny Tse

Danny Tse Producer

Wow! I didn't think JBL was going to offer this speaker in the US given that people here rarely considers JBL high end. Tom's correct....JBL has been selling many high end designs aboard, especially Japan.

11. Manuel Delaflor

Manuel Delaflor Supporting Actor

I wonder, what do "horn bashers" will do when they see new Hi End speakers comming... and they sport horns!
    [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG]

12. Tom Brennan

Tom Brennan Screenwriter

Brett--Yes indeed, a return to old and proven principles but with a few new wrinkles like the berilium diaphragms. The Altec 515, which was designed by Jim Lansing in the 1940s, was the first woofer with an edgewound coil and all the Altec and JBL woofs I'm familiar with used edgewound coils.
    What I find interesting about the woofer is that it's a long-throw driver but with a gap long enough to keep the whole coil in the gap at all times, thus very low distortion. That must cost alot of money to make.
    I think the American marketing of this speaker is a result of the resurgance in horn speakers here and the success of companies like Avante-Garde and all the DIYs building systems based on Altec and JBL drivers. And the high values that vintage JBL and Altec home horn systems have retained must be known to them. Many of the members of our horn club are fairly new to horns and have arrived at them having already experienced and rejected the conventional "high-end" thing. Only a few of us are old-time hornies. The horn thing is happening and JBL is responding.
    I'm waiting to see if JBL makes these drivers available to the hobbyist the way they did with their top drivers in the old days. They gotta be aware of how many people are buying their current prosound drivers and horns for hi-fi use, several of our member's systems are based on or use new JBL Pro gear.
    By the way, I checked out that vintage AR site you steered me too, very intersting.

13. Manuel Delaflor

Tom, if I wanted to make my own horn speakers, which drivers will you recommend? Keep in mind that I don't live in the states, so I need new drivers that I can buy over the Internet, not vintage good ones from ebay and such.
    I really like the sound of my ol' Klipsch Heresy's, and still prefer them over any "normal driven" speaker (at least anyone below $5,000 bucks). But Im starting to wonder what Im missing (if anything)...
    Oh, and I don't want to expend a fortune.[​IMG]

14. Tom Brennan

Tom Brennan Screenwriter

Manuel---Well I'm keen on Altec and JBL. Altec is no longer made but drivers can be bought from online dealers like Jammin Jersey and Total Audio. And new JBL Pro stuff can be bought all over the world. I also like the sound of Radian compression drivers, very good, as good as Altec or JBL IMO.
    For a first DIY horn system I'd go with a simple 2-way using a 15" woofer in a vented box and a compression driver and horn for the mids and highs. What I'd prefer would be an Altec 416 woofer in the vented box crossing at 500hz, 1st order, to an Altec 902 driver on the 511B horn.
    As for JBL a similar system would be to use the 2226 15" woofer and the 2426 compression driver. But I'd still go with the Altec 511B horn, of all the 1" throat horns I've used, including the highly regarded Edgar "saladbowls", I think the 511 sounds the best. JBL 1" drivers IME need steeper crossovers at 500hz than Altecs, I'd use a 3rd order crossover.
    Now there are many drivers I've no experience with; the Spanish Beymas, the Seleniums from Brazil, B&Cs from Italy and PAudios from Thailand for instance. I hear on the grapevine that some of these sound pretty good but I don't know. By the way, the Klipsch Jubilee, if it ever is relaeased, uses a B&C compression driver, I've seen the Jubilees in the flesh down in Hope.
    But the Altecs and JBLs are tried and true and are known quantities. The other day I heard a simple Altec system, a 1960s vintage Flamenco 2-way (416 woofer, 802 driver on 811 horn) driven by an old Pilot tube amp, and I swear it does at least 95% of what my larger more involved system does.
    With your Heresey's you're not missing much but the more open dynamics and less strained sound that comes with using bigger woofers. As far as clarity and dynamics go the larger "real" Klipsches, like Cornwalls or Khorns, are as good as the speakers I prefer. The Klipsch have the same basic virtues as Altec or JBL horns but they have a different flavor. I think that Altecs are smoother and more fullbodied and natural in the midrange but that is my preference, a matter of taste, and should be judged as such. I traded a set of Cornwalls to my best friend for a set of Altec 605As; we're both very happy and each of us thinks he got the best of the deal.
    Why not email me, I can talk forever about this stuff and have been known to bore many people. :)

15. Larry B

Larry B Screenwriter

While we're on the topic of horns...

Last night I had the opportunity to audition the Avantgarde Unos and Duos. Suffice it to say that this horn-basher was favorably impressed. (Though integration between horns and woofer/subwoofer was far from seamless.)

Larry

16. Manuel Delaflor

Thanks Tom, I will write you when Im ready to rumble.
    Larry, Interesting to read you are impressed. Horns are not that bad... [​IMG]

17. Brett DiMichele

Brett DiMichele Producer

Tom,
    No doubt that the woofer cost a coin and a half to produce
    to have such a long throw with edgewound, seems like they
    got over that little design glitch with the older edgewound
    where throw was fairly limited.
    The Compression Drivers can't be cheap either, Berilyum isn't
    one of the cheapest substances out there.
    All in all I have to say these JBL's have me "Horny" [​IMG]
    I sure would like to hear a set of good horns in person and
    possibly try a set out myself some day. But my whole setup
    will HAVE to evolve greatly before I will even waste money
    on Horns wired into sub standard electronics.
    So ya checked out the AR site? Lots of good company history
    there. It's a shame the company doesn't get the credit it
    deserves simply because it's owned by Recoton, Well so is
    NHT and I hear nothing but raves about NHT products.. All
    the new AR stuff gets great reviews it's just little known.
    But I digres... [​IMG]

18. Chris Tsutsui

Chris Tsutsui Screenwriter

I think JBL is fully capable of producing audiophile speakers. Right now they are popular in the low end market and their Studio line tries to compete with Bose, Sony, Polk and such. They do have an upper end Tik line that I have yet to audition. I also saw JBL speakers in the multimedia field in addition to the Harman line of PC speakers.
    This new S series is very interesting and I'm sure some people may clone it. Just my guess but I don't think they'll sell a lot of these at $10,000.
    400 watts RMS handling with 94 sensitivity!? That's capable of over 115db at listening position. Add a sub and this could this be the answer to achieving audiophile sound at club level volumes?
    I think the price has to cover the fleet of people it probably took to design these. I wonder how they sound. [​IMG]

19. John F. Palacio

John F. Palacio Supporting Actor

Being that $12,500 is a lot of pesetas (euros now, yo creo)

I decided to use the "buy now" feature of the JBL site to see how much they were going to charge and if this was for a pair or one.

This is what I got:
    "You have searched for: K2.S9800WG. This product is currently unavailable.
    Webmaster was notified."