Check out this Belkin surge protector, good?

Discussion in 'Home Theater Projects' started by Matt_Smi, May 29, 2004.

1. Matt_Smi

Matt_Smi Second Unit

I am looking for a nice quality surge protector for my HT, I want to spend under $100 and first looked at monster. I found a decent one for $80 (link below); it has a respectable joule rating of 1850, “clean power” line filtering, 8 outlets and a lifetime product warranty with a 150,000 connected equipment warranty. I then recently checked out Belkin and found a unit that I can get for $60 (link below as well), that has a joule rating of 4720, line filtering, 10 outlets and also a lifetime product warranty and an unlimited connected equipment warranty. While both units seems good the Belkin is cheaper and has a much better joule rating, but does Belkin make quality products? Could I feel pretty confidant that my gear is protected from most surges short of a lightning strike plugged into that unit? BTW the reason the unit is so cheap is because Belkin recently came out with a new model, it seems to have the same specs but sells for around $100, so I figure that the older model is a better deal at $60. Please check both of them out and let me know what you think, along with Belkin and their surge protectors in general, thanks.

Monster surge protector
    http://www.monstercable.com/power/pr...er.asp?pin=592

Belkin surge protector
    http://catalog.belkin.com/IWCatProdu...duct_Id=130739

2. James W. Johnson

James W. Johnson Screenwriter

Since money is an issue for you then I suggest going with something cheaper , I was using one of these along with a cheaper power strip before I upgraded to a Monster unit,
    http://www.cyberpowersystems.com/surge880.htm

BTW don't expect any significant surge protection from any of these units, those 100 billion dollar warranys are in place just because of the low odds that a power surge strong enough to take out your equipment will ever happen.

3. Chu Gai

Chu Gai Lead Actor

Yes, it'll be fine. The extra joules basically means that your unit can withstand more surges than one with a lesser rating.

4. RobbieF

RobbieF Extra

I have that Belkin surge protector. I got the newer model (I think) from Microcenter for about $70-80 with 10 outlets.

So far I like it a lot and it looks great. I can't say the power conditioning made the "picture and sound cleaner" like it claims although you can't really expect it to unless you are seeing any power interference beforehand.

5. Ryan Leemhuis

Ryan Leemhuis Second Unit

Belkin is a quality brand. They just choose not to mark up there prices to the "monster" level