What's new

Check out these prices for the Sony STR-DA3ES and STR-DA5ES. (1 Viewer)

KeithH

Senior HTF Member
As you may be aware, Sony recently dropped the retail prices of the STR-DA3ES and 'DA5ES receivers from $1000 and $1500, respectively, to $800 and $1200, respectively. I called J&R Music World last night (1-800-221-8180) and found that they are selling the 'DA3ES for $599 and the 'DA5ES for $849. Not bad at all. The 'DA3ES could be the steal of the century if you don't need the extra features included with the 'DA5ES. Has anyone determined if the 'DA5ES sounds better than the 'DA3ES? On paper, they look very similar, except that the 'DA5ES has more features. For me, the biggest reason to jump to the 'DA5ES might be the detachable power cord.

Earl Simpson

Supporting Actor
Keith is dead on the target. If you are going to spend $599 on a rcvr, it would be tough to beat this deal. 5 for $ 849 and going down as we speak. 5 year no hassle warranty.

KeithH

Senior HTF Member
Earl said:

5 year no hassle warranty.
Five-year? Yes. No-hassle? Not necessarily. If you saw my thread awhile back on the perils I've been going through to get my Sony MDS-JA555ES MD deck repaired under warranty, you would think otherwise. The deck broke down on December 12, 2001, and I still don't have it back from Sony. The Bristol, PA repair facility screwed it up twice. Not only did they not fix what was wrong in the first place, they returned it to me twice with cosmetic damages. It is now being repaired at Sony's facility in Westwood, MA. It's been there since February 6th. This experience has me leery of buying the 'DA3ES or 'DA5ES. They are great receivers, especially at their new price points, but if I were to buy one and it were to break down, I have no idea what litany might ensue.

Earl Simpson

Supporting Actor
Earl also says, be sure to buy from a company that has at least a 30 day defect exchange policy. From buying electronics equipment over the years, I have yet to loose something after 30 days(if I ran it full blast for 30 days and it did not break). Get a 3000 joule surge and leave it running for 30 days straight.

Check out the post at Crutchfield for both Sony's=

Dolby Digital Surround EX: the Surround EX System allows you to play movies that employ a matrix system to produce 6.1 channels from a 5.1-channel film soundtrack //

WOW! Is this not a confusing statement. I thought DDEX was 6 channel encoded????

So DDEX is on new rcvrs as we speak. That also may be why the price has dropped on maybe old stock??????????????? And their sales are sluggish at this point in time.

KEITH!!!!! I wonder if the 1075 is a stripped down version of the 3es? You know, like the 400 and 333es.

I still do not see a ES discrete for the 3es?????????????

May be a misprint/or total lack of information from Sony. Sony can be slow and hard to find the right contact. But they have always honored my warranty no matter what I bought or where I got it.

And yes their site s*u*c*k*s*! But at least they have one!

KeithH

Senior HTF Member
Earl, unfortunately, the drawer on my Sony MDS-JA555ES minidisc deck died after six months. So returning it was not an option.

I have not researched the features on the 'DA3ES and 'DA5ES thoroughly because I have not really been in the market for a new receiver. The recent price drops have me intrigued, however. For the extra $250, I'd probably go with the 'DA5ES and, therefore, not worry about what I was missing with the 'DA3ES.

Yes, the STR-DB1070 is a stripped-down receiver relative to the 'DA3ES in many ways. The ES models have a better power supply, better DACs, and better overall internal build quality.

KeithH

Senior HTF Member
Here are even better prices than J&R's. OneCall (authorized dealer; 1-800-340-4770) is selling the 'DA3ES for $525 and $785, respectively. Shipping is extra, but those are some great prices. J&R would probably match those prices.

I called Oade Bros. today, and surprisingly, they are still selling the 'DA3ES and 'DA5ES for $685 and $985 delivered. Those were their prices when the receivers were introduced. On a sidenote, Oade Bros. is still selling the Sony SCD-CE775 SACD changer for $295, while J&R is selling it for $200. Go figure.

Michael_T

Second Unit
How come this always happens right after I buy something. :angry:
Actually, I purchased the DA5ES about 3 weeks ago, since I got a home demo on the unit. It replaced an 8 month old Integra 6.2. I loved the 6.2, but the Sony had the 2 multi-channel inputs for DVD-A and SACD - and true 2-channel analog bypass (which I am convinced the Integra did not have).
I like the DA5ES very much, although it can be a tad brighter with music than the Integra - but the Sony allows more clarity and detail to shine through with 2-channel SACD (probably the 2-channel analog direct).
I also recently purchased a new Music Hall TT, and the Phono section in the Sony blew the Integra out of the water. Vinyl on the Sony (also in 2-channel analog direct) sounds full, warm and musical. On the Integra it sounded thin and tinny (I guess Integra puts a cheap Phono section in the 6.2).
Anyway - I got the DA5ES for $1000. I called the store today where I bought it trying to invoke the 30-day price protection plan, after reading about all these price reductions, to no avail. They told me I have to have a printed ad showing the price to be less than $1000 - not an internet quote. The store acknowldeged the price reduction from Sony, but told me that since I already paid less then the current listing price ($1200) I was not entitled to any refund.
This seems to have happened to me alot in the past year. First I purchased the Sony 333ES for $800, and then a few weeks later they drop the list price on the unit. I upgraded my rear surround speakers and 30 days later the store I bought them at dropped them $300 for the pair. After some prodding they gave me $300 back. Now lets see, I recently purchased the XA777ES SACD player for $2000 - so that should be dropping in price any day now. :D
I purchased the CE775 (which is now sitting in the closet since I got the XA777ES) for $299, and less than a year later it can be purchased new for $200.
I guess that is the price you pay buying things somewhat impulsively. Live and learn - or in my case live and buy so that others can purchase a month later at the reduced list price. :D

Gil D

Supporting Actor
Keith,

That's a sweet price on the DA5es from onecall. I guess only the beta testers know, but is the Outlaw 950 really leaps and bounds better than the DA5es in both HT and music?

Any idea how the DA5es compares as a pre/pro against the V444/555es that it replaced.

Gil

KeithH

Senior HTF Member
Gil, well, if Outlaw actually releases the 950, maybe we'll all know how it compares to the 'DA5ES. ;)
I have no idea how the 'DA5ES compares to the 'V444ES, but it seems as though the current ES models are getting more favorable reviews here than did last year's models.

Sarah Lynn

Auditioning
Hey Guys,

I called One Call today and there salesperson told me $948.00 for the STR-DA5ES and $633.00 for the STR-DA3ES.

Is there someone there I can talk to for the $785.00 price for the DA5ES??

Thanks Sarah

Greg Schwabacher

Stunt Coordinator
Keith, or anyone else -- do you know why the prices are dropping so much? Usually a reduction in list price is soon followed by the introduction of a new model. I WILL be getting a 'DA5ES in the next month or two...unless a new model is right around the corner. My 'DA50ES has served me very well for the last three years and when I do upgrade, I really want to UPGRADE.

I'll definitely have to keep my eyes open as the prices drop!

Phil Tomaskovic

Supporting Actor
I had the same question as Sarah for Keith. Do you go to a specific salesperson at One Call to get this price or do you just call and ask whoever answers for a price?

Same thing for the J&R price, did you have to haggle to get it? Usually when I call they quote the web price which is retail for Sony and I have to ask for a pricematch with Etronics or someone like that...

Phil Tomaskovic

Supporting Actor
One other question for Michael or someone. I have a 30es which allows a 2nd set of speakers (same input will play on both). The switch on the front has 4 positions: A,B,A+B,off.
Can the same be done on the 5ES? The photo on Crutchfield's site shows the switch differently. And the rear panel shows the 2nd set of speaker connectors marked as 3rd room. Where's the second room? :)
I don't really need the ability to play 2 different inputs to 2 separate speakers. I just want to be able to switch between my upstairs and downstair speakers for sound (and hopefully sometimes play through both).
Thanks

Earl Simpson

Supporting Actor
Just say you read it at the forum and if they won't honor the price you have 6 other dealers to try. JR/6th ave/OADES/Etronics/ecost etc. I got a quote from OADES in Jan. for $900. So $8??? would be a good price.Yes the models with the DDEX tag are coming out and they will probably be the same inside. Maybe! Also Sony is always introducing new models. These are the low spots for prices so far on good rcvrs.
3802=$770
898=$1100
5es=$850(Except Keiths contact)
3es=$600
:emoji_thumbsup: :emoji_thumbsup: :emoji_thumbsup:

KeithH

Senior HTF Member
Sarah and Greg,

I have no specific contact at OneCall. A lady picked up the phone and said, "I can go $785 on the 'DA5ES." I admit that the "I can go" part makes it sound like $785 is not OneCall's standard price. Unfortunately, I feel that OneCall sometimes makes it up as they go along. Sometimes the salesperson will ask me if I have ordered from them before, and sometimes he or she will ask for my phone number in order to pull up my account. This is all before I get a price quote. I always hope that I will get a better quote when they see that I have ordered from them in the past. Anyway, I recall the lady asking me if I had ordered from them before, but she did not ask for my phone number to pull up my account. If OneCall gives you high quotes, tell them that you had called the other day and had been told $525 for the 'DA3ES and $785 for the 'DA5ES.

Greg,

I have no idea why the prices on the 'DA3ES and 'DA5ES have dropped so much so fast. I have not heard of new models coming. It used to be that the prices of Sony products would stay up there until new models had been announced. However, Sony has adopted a practice of dropping prices on products without announcing replacements. This practice has been particularly common with SACD players. Sony dropped the retail price of the SCD-C555ES changer last fall from $1700 to $1200. I have not heard anything about the 'C555ES being phased out in favor of a new model yet. Likewise, the street price of the SCD-CE775 dropped from $350 to $250 about a week ago and then dropped to $200 at the end of last week. That was especially odd. Again, I have not heard anything about the 'CE775 being phased out. Maybe sales of Sony products have been poor. In any event, I wouldn't expect to see new Sony receivers until at least August. The 'DA3ES and 'DA5ES didn't hit stores in my area until November, which is late for Sony. That is why I said that new models could be coming by August.

Michael_T

Second Unit
One other question for Michael or someone. I have a 30es which allows a 2nd set of speakers (same input will play on both). The switch on the front has 4 positions: A,B,A+B,off.

Can the same be done on the 5ES? The photo on Crutchfield's site shows the switch differently. And the rear panel shows the 2nd set of speaker connectors marked as 3rd room. Where's the second room?
The 3rd room speaker outputs do act sort of like an A, B speaker selector, except for the fact that the main speakers are always active. You can, though, select to play a totally different source through the 3rd room speaker outputs. So if you want to listen to a CD off the 3rd room speaker outputs, you can set 3rd room to the CD input, while leaving the main input on something else.

I have my pair of Stax Pro Lambda's hooked up to the 3rd room terminals, and when I want to listen thorough headphones, I merely put the main selector on some unused input, and put the 3rd room on what I actually want to hear through the headphones and off I go. It is actually fairly simple.

The second room output is there, but it a 2cond room pre-out only - no speaker terminals involved. So technically you could listen to a CD in the main room, watch a video in the second room, while listening to the same CD in the 3rd room (or listening to a totally different source in either the 2cond or 3rd room).

Got it? It is confusing, but it works. It is actually gives you more options than just a speaker A, B or A+B selector - since there you can only play one source through both.

The only minor drawback is that when you select Main + 3rd room for speakers - 2 of the 6 discrete onboard amplifiers are used for the 3rd room source - so you lose full surround capability in the main room.

Chip E

Screenwriter
Interesting thread... Like Michael, i've had an Integra 6.2 in my bedroom for a while. This really is a nice receiver however, i'm not too happy with the way it's mating with the B&W 303's. It's bright. Bright hurts my ears. I have a friend who is going to buy the Integra off me for what i paid for it ($700.00 local). If i could get the DA5ES for a little more, i may try it out. If that $785.00 price is floating around i know i can get J&R to sell me the DA5ES for that.

Keith,

Do you know the bandwidth for component switching on the DA5ES? The Integra is 50MHz. Does the DA5ES do Svideo switching?

Michael_T

Second Unit
Chip:

If you found the Integra 6.2 bright (which I personally did not - probably mated with my NHT 2.5i speakers better than your B & W's), you are sure to find the Sony "super" bright.

The Sony presents a much brighter presentation (but then again maybe it might not with your speakers), so I suggest you arrange a home demo if you can - so you are not stuck with the unit, and than forced to sell it off.

I am not sure if the brightness with the Sony I am hearing was due to lack of break-in, because after nearly a month with the unit it is becoming more musical, and not as "harsh" as it was right out of the box.

Yesterday I was listening to CDs through the analog inputs of the CD/SACD section of the DA5ES, fed by an XA777ES, and they sounded better than ever.

So be careful when thinking about the Sony. Don't merely take the word of me or others here on this board - listen first. I say this only because you found the 6.2 not to your liking - where I actually thought it sounding very good to my ears.

Chip E

Screenwriter
Michael, thanks for your input...
Actually, i had the Integra in my main rig with my PSB Stratus Silveri 's for the first two weeks and it was fine with those speakers. I think it's the B&W's, not the 6.2. I'd change the speakers first but, i think with a warmer receiver i'll be ok. My buddy wants the receiver so, this is the easiest route for me right now. Your most likely right about the Sony being brighter because i auditioned a 444ES last year and couldn't take it at all. Maybe a Denon or something would be better for the bedroom? Hmm.. Maybe even the Outlaw 950 with an amp would be good for the bedroom.. i may try that route as well.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
acinstallation715
Recent bookmarks