What's new

Check Out My Theater (1 Viewer)

LeeH

Stunt Coordinator
I just redid my room. Tell me what you think of it.
My Theater
The curtains look alot better than what the picture shows. They look exactly like velvet.
Total cost did not exceed $2000 (I don't think).

LaMarcus

Screenwriter
Real Name
LaMarcus
Welcome to the HTF! I like your setup man, very nice for a 15 year old. That is actually better than one of my friends setup.:D I checked out your business too, neat. Keep it up dude.

David Preston

Supporting Actor
You are doing good. Great set up especially for the room size. Keep it up imagine where you will be in a few years. David

LeeH

Stunt Coordinator
Thanks for the replies guys. Is there any easy and inexpensive ways of improving it?

Andrew Pezzo

Second Unit
Yes, build on the motivation you have now so that one day you can buy a house a construct a dedicated room.

LeeH

Stunt Coordinator
That's what I planned on doing. I'm looking to buy new speakers but haven't decide what kind I want. I need something inexpensive but still good sounding. What do you think of klh? I have a sub if that helps.

Dave Poehlman

Senior HTF Member
Nice setup with the space you've got!

What do you think of klh
The only experience I have with KLH is some super el-cheapo surround package (center and rear surrounds) I bought for dirt cheap at a Best Buy clearance... they sound terrible.

They are inexpensive, I'll give them that... but I think you could do much better sound-wise.

LeeH

Stunt Coordinator
Well I certainly don't want to downgrade instead of upgrade. Any suggestions?

bruin

Second Unit
Ever think about DIY? There are some speaker kits that are really inexpensive but have been highly rated. If you can solder then DIY gives you more bang for the buck. Stop by the DIY forum and check it out.

Here's a complete setup. It says it's not available yet but I imagine you can buy them separately.
http://www.speakerpage.com/K05H01.htm

Bob Kavanaugh

Second Unit
Is it me, or is that surround facing down into the door?

What is your budget exactly? I picked up some Energy Take 5.2's new for $420 and they sound great. My buddy has the original Energy Take setup and those sound just as good, and they go for $250 - $300 on ebay all the time.

Stephane

Stunt Coordinator
Very nice set up for the limited space that you have. I never even got that close to a home theater when I was 15. Wait a minute, when I was 15 there was no such thing called home theater. At least not with dedicated home theater amps.

I am impressed. If you take this thurst that you have for your hobby into the real world you will do great out there. And yes you will have your house and a dedicated theater by the time you are 23 LOL if you keep on going this way.

Welcome the the forum by the way.

LeeH

Stunt Coordinator
Thanks guys for all your posts. Curiosity got the best of me. I went up to Best Buy yesterday and picked up 2 pairs of KLH TW-09B's . For the price it just couldn't be beat. Some of the reviews on the Internet (not all of them) even praised these speakers. I figured that if I don't like them I could just take them back. Anyways, I bought them because I have a very tight budget, I have 2 subwoofers to make up for the lack of bass, and I need the money for a car and nothing could sound as bad as the ones I had before. So I got them, brought them home, and set them up. I set the sound levels using a radio shack db reader. I sat down, took a deep breath and played some John Cougar Mellencamp (which sounds great in PL2). IMO, they sound great to me (and that's what counts, right?). So while they aren't top of the line they still sound much better than what I had.

Thanks for all your help and I'll keep you posted.

LeeH

Stunt Coordinator
Oh yeah, by the way bob,

that surround is sitting on top of my closet door. They will soon be wall mounted 2-3 ft above the La-Z-Boy facing each other (as dolby recommends). The chair is half way in the closet because my room is so small. It was just temporary.

Sorry about waiting so long before posting. It's fathers day!!! :)

LeeH

Stunt Coordinator
I just redid my room. Tell me what you think of it.
My Theater
The curtains look alot better than what the picture shows. They look exactly like velvet.
Total cost did not exceed $2000 (I don't think).

LaMarcus

Screenwriter
Real Name
LaMarcus
Nice updates man. Just wish I had pics of the old theater to compare them to :D

Juan Castillo

Second Unit
I had KLH surrounds. They are the Best Buy...

http://www.bestbuy.com/site/olspage....oryId=cat03043

911B's.. 5 1/4" driver and 1" tweeter

For what its worth, they do great as a low budget surround, or computer speakers, and when on sale, 10 bucks a piece, you can't beat them. They sound 10 times better than the ones you have.. Not knocking what you have, just letting you know. They are on sale this week too..

LeeH

Stunt Coordinator
I'm glad you mentioned those because I was looking at them to possibly buy. I'm kind of unhappy with the way these perform. They seem to be very inefficient. i did a quick frequency response test and it fluctuates up to 7 decibels. They rated them to go down to 80hz but it really starts around 110hz. About the best thing about these speakers are the imaging and the clearity of the high frequencies at moderate listening levels. I think I'll pick up a couple pairs this weekend. Thanks

Juan Castillo

Second Unit
don't wait until Sunday : ) They are regularly like 50 bucks per set.. er something.. umm.. 20 bucks is much better .. mostly..

LeeH

Stunt Coordinator
thanks, I won't. Do these speakers actually have a flat frequency response as advertised or are they just saying that? I need something to keep me happy until i get Fluance.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
acinstallation240
Recent bookmarks