Check Out My Theater

Discussion in 'Home Theater Projects' started by LeeH, Jun 2, 2003.

1. LeeH

LeeH Stunt Coordinator

I just redid my room. Tell me what you think of it.
    My Theater
    The curtains look alot better than what the picture shows. They look exactly like velvet.
    Total cost did not exceed $2000 (I don't think).

2. LaMarcus

LaMarcus Screenwriter

Welcome to the HTF! I like your setup man, very nice for a 15 year old. That is actually better than one of my friends setup.[​IMG] I checked out your business too, neat. Keep it up dude.

3. David Preston

David Preston Supporting Actor

You are doing good. Great set up especially for the room size. Keep it up imagine where you will be in a few years. David

4. Neil Joseph

Neil Joseph Lead Actor

Neil Joseph
    You have your head on straight, especially for a 15yr old. Nice setup.

5. LeeH

LeeH Stunt Coordinator

Thanks for the replies guys. Is there any easy and inexpensive ways of improving it?

6. Andrew Pezzo

Andrew Pezzo Second Unit

Yes, build on the motivation you have now so that one day you can buy a house a construct a dedicated room.

7. LeeH

LeeH Stunt Coordinator

That's what I planned on doing. I'm looking to buy new speakers but haven't decide what kind I want. I need something inexpensive but still good sounding. What do you think of klh? I have a sub if that helps.

8. Dave Poehlman

Dave Poehlman Producer

Nice setup with the space you've got!

9. LeeH

LeeH Stunt Coordinator

Well I certainly don't want to downgrade instead of upgrade. Any suggestions?

10. bruin

bruin Second Unit

Ever think about DIY? There are some speaker kits that are really inexpensive but have been highly rated. If you can solder then DIY gives you more bang for the buck. Stop by the DIY forum and check it out.

Here's a complete setup. It says it's not available yet but I imagine you can buy them separately.
    http://www.speakerpage.com/K05H01.htm

11. Bob Kavanaugh

Bob Kavanaugh Second Unit

Is it me, or is that surround facing down into the door?

What is your budget exactly? I picked up some Energy Take 5.2's new for $420 and they sound great. My buddy has the original Energy Take setup and those sound just as good, and they go for $250 - $300 on ebay all the time.

12. Stephane

Stephane Stunt Coordinator

Very nice set up for the limited space that you have. I never even got that close to a home theater when I was 15. Wait a minute, when I was 15 there was no such thing called home theater. At least not with dedicated home theater amps.

I am impressed. If you take this thurst that you have for your hobby into the real world you will do great out there. And yes you will have your house and a dedicated theater by the time you are 23 LOL if you keep on going this way.

Welcome the the forum by the way.

13. LeeH

LeeH Stunt Coordinator

Thanks guys for all your posts. Curiosity got the best of me. I went up to Best Buy yesterday and picked up 2 pairs of KLH TW-09B's . For the price it just couldn't be beat. Some of the reviews on the Internet (not all of them) even praised these speakers. I figured that if I don't like them I could just take them back. Anyways, I bought them because I have a very tight budget, I have 2 subwoofers to make up for the lack of bass, and I need the money for a car and nothing could sound as bad as the ones I had before. So I got them, brought them home, and set them up. I set the sound levels using a radio shack db reader. I sat down, took a deep breath and played some John Cougar Mellencamp (which sounds great in PL2). IMO, they sound great to me (and that's what counts, right?). So while they aren't top of the line they still sound much better than what I had.

Thanks for all your help and I'll keep you posted.

14. LeeH

LeeH Stunt Coordinator

Oh yeah, by the way bob,

that surround is sitting on top of my closet door. They will soon be wall mounted 2-3 ft above the La-Z-Boy facing each other (as dolby recommends). The chair is half way in the closet because my room is so small. It was just temporary.

Sorry about waiting so long before posting. It's fathers day!!! [​IMG]

15. LeeH

LeeH Stunt Coordinator

I just redid my room. Tell me what you think of it.
    My Theater
    The curtains look alot better than what the picture shows. They look exactly like velvet.
    Total cost did not exceed $2000 (I don't think).

16. LaMarcus

LaMarcus Screenwriter

Nice updates man. Just wish I had pics of the old theater to compare them to [​IMG]

17. Juan Castillo

Juan Castillo Second Unit

I had KLH surrounds. They are the Best Buy...

http://www.bestbuy.com/site/olspage....oryId=cat03043

911B's.. 5 1/4" driver and 1" tweeter

For what its worth, they do great as a low budget surround, or computer speakers, and when on sale, 10 bucks a piece, you can't beat them. They sound 10 times better than the ones you have.. Not knocking what you have, just letting you know. They are on sale this week too..

18. LeeH

LeeH Stunt Coordinator

I'm glad you mentioned those because I was looking at them to possibly buy. I'm kind of unhappy with the way these perform. They seem to be very inefficient. i did a quick frequency response test and it fluctuates up to 7 decibels. They rated them to go down to 80hz but it really starts around 110hz. About the best thing about these speakers are the imaging and the clearity of the high frequencies at moderate listening levels. I think I'll pick up a couple pairs this weekend. Thanks

19. Juan Castillo

Juan Castillo Second Unit

don't wait until Sunday : ) They are regularly like 50 bucks per set.. er something.. umm.. 20 bucks is much better .. mostly..

20. LeeH

LeeH Stunt Coordinator

thanks, I won't. Do these speakers actually have a flat frequency response as advertised or are they just saying that? I need something to keep me happy until i get Fluance.