Check out my graphs: Shiva v. Tempest

Discussion in 'Archived Threads 2001-2004' started by KyleGS, Oct 18, 2002.

1. KyleGS

KyleGS Second Unit

Graph of SHIVA (green) v. Tempest (white)
    Here's what your looking at:
    Shiva: Adire alignment
    Tempest: 122L Sealed
    I'm big on music so I want a 50:50 mix for music and HT. I'm a little worried about the Tempest not really down into that last octive. BUT- I'm worried that the Shiva will not shine with music like I KNOW the sealed Tempest will. I'm a little new at this so all info will be helpful.
    Does one stand out as better for music? One better for HT?
    How is the Adire alignment for music?
    All opinions welcome!
    Thanks guys

2. DanWiggins

DanWiggins Second Unit

Kyle,

The Tempest is down 7 dB at 20 Hz; add in a low pass crossover (which will knock your peak output down another 1.5 dB or so), and it's actually around 5.5 dB down at 20 Hz.

Now, will your room give you 5.5 dB of gain down at 20 Hz? If so, you're set. I know my room actually gives me more than that (around 8 dB at 20 Hz)... I use the 122L sealed Tempest in my personal audio rig, and measured at my listening position it's down 3 dB at 18 Hz.

Remember, you can't forget what the crossover OR the room will do to your response. You want flat reponse IN ROOM, not anechoic (IMHO).

Dan Wiggins
    Adire Audio

3. Michael Hartwig

Michael Hartwig Stunt Coordinator

My sealed Tempest in an octogon enclosure of about 145L in room measures pretty flat to 20Hz (calibrated with Radio Shack SPL meter and used the calibration adjustment tables). (Do not have test tones lower than that). I listen more to music and can only say that the Tempest blends in beautifully with my mains. As for LOTR it does not bottom out and will give you a shake.

4. Mark Fitzsimmons

Mark Fitzsimmons Supporting Actor