check list for new receiver

Discussion in 'AV Receivers' started by Joe_on, Aug 13, 2003.

1. Joe_on

Joe_on Stunt Coordinator

Im in the market for a new receiver. I have been looking at Sony because I have a Sony 36XBR TV, DVD, and a Sony Tivo directv receiver. So, Im partial to Sony but not married to it.
    I have looked at the Sony DA4ES and 1000Es. But in some of the threads, I read here the 1000ES are being recall b/c of possible catching on fire problem and it has no preouts.
    And the DA4ES are okay so far from my reseach, so Im taking a different approach.
    What do I want from a receiver? what is a reasonable check list for a 500-600 dollars receiver.

1. Power-75-100 watts( I live in a condo)
    2. Component inputs and s-video inputs
    3.At least 6 inputs to connect my DVD,Game cube, VCR, Directv tivo and some HD units letter
    4. 6.1 channels
    5. onscreen display(OSD)
    6. learning remote
    7. DSP especially the midnight mode
    8. upgradiblity for future use, i.e preouts
    Am I missing something from my check list?

TIA

2. Angelo.M

Angelo.M Producer

A few comments:

I'd throw out the "power 75-100 Watts" criterion, because you might find units out there that are rated less than 75 W that will suit your power needs (the subject of its own discussion).

You may want to consider the remote as a separate entity. If you don't like your AVR's remote, you could always upgrade to a universal, learning remote.

The Sony 4ES meets your criteria, I believe, but is rapidly going the way of the do-do. The Denon 2802 ($599 @ Crutchfield) seems to meet them as well; I'm less familiar with it, so I can't comment on things like DSP soundfields. There are several other excellent AVRs with these features and more, and I'm sure you'll hear from others about them.

3. Jigesh Patel

Jigesh Patel Stunt Coordinator

Atleast two sets of 5.1 analog audio (ext) in. Mainly for connecting two separate DVD-A and SACD players (until they figure out digital out for hi-rez audio).

Jigesh

4. Angelo.M

Angelo.M Producer

Jigesh: the 4ES has two sets!

5. Lee M T

Lee M T Second Unit

I'll recommend the Yamaha RX-V740. I absolutely adore my 640.

6. SeanV

SeanV Stunt Coordinator

Joe_on,
    How do you feel about refurbished?

7. Joe_on

Joe_on Stunt Coordinator

Thank you for your respond so far. As far as your question on refurbish, Sean- I dont really like them.

Angelo, When you say the DA4ES is going on the way to do-do, what do you mean.

And Lee, give me some examples of why you adore your Yamaha 640 and what is the difference between the 640 and the 740? and does it have the midnight mode, where the sounds are for night as not to wake up the neighbors.
    TIA

8. Angelo.M

Angelo.M Producer

Joe:

Well, I misspelled it. I meant "going the way of the dodo", as in the dodo bird, as in becoming extinct.