What's new

Check it out - foxclassics.com! (1 Viewer)

CineKarine

Supporting Actor
Real Name
Karine Philippot

Let me chime in on this. I agree completely. What tremendous news!
I am so excited about all those releases - at long last DVDs of films I have only taped from washed TV prints years ago! Planning to buy just almost all of these.

To me, the best news of all, are the musicals! WITH A SONG IN MY HEART is one of the finest musicals ever and I never dreamed we would see THE GIRL NEXT DOOR and BLOODHOUNDS OF BROADWAY on DVD anytime soon! I love all 3 films dearly and I kept hoping we would see more June Haver and Mitzi Gaynor on DVD. Not to mention we need much more Susan Hayward, so very under-represented on DVD.

Corey

Screenwriter
Great news. Most excited about Daisy Kenyon, Boomerang, With A Song In My Heart, and Bloodhounds of Broadway.

I hope we get A Hatful of Rain, too.

Jim_K

Senior HTF Member
Hmm... Already knew about the set including The Lodger and Hangover Square which I intend to pick up.

Also knew about the Ford set but I'm only interested in Prisoner of Shark Island, so if it won't be available separately I'll pass.

The Day the Earth Stood Still Special Edition would be a no brainer if offered on High Def (which it probably won't be) but I'll pass on yet another frivolous SD double dip.

Nice to see more Noirs coming out but I'm not interested in those particular titles (aside from the Brahm "horror/noir" titles).

Jefty

Stunt Coordinator
Real Name
David Fiore
definitely lots to like in that newsflash--although I can't believe that they haven't gotten around to A Tree Grows in Brooklyn yet! (is there some horrific problem with the elements?)

those are decent noirs (and I'll get em all--except for boomerang, which I already got through ebay), but where on earth is Road House?? I feel I must insist upon the release of that strange and wonderful film (which gave me my message-board monicker!)

I'm also really looking forward to information about the possibility of sequels to Alice Faye & Betty Grable sets...

and another Tyrone Power set (hopefully one that includes This Above All, Cafe Metropole, and johnny Apollo) would be excellent

Danoldrati

Stunt Coordinator
Real Name
Dan Oldrati
This is great News. I will buy most of them. I read that they filmed two versions of the "The Robe", maybe they will include the non-cinemascope version on the new special edition. I love "With A Song in My Heart", just can't wait.
Great day
Dan

RafaelPires

Supporting Actor
Jefty, I loved the list of coming soon releases. But of course it doesn't end my Fox classic wish list.

More noir/thriller (Road House, Cry of the city, The Iron Curtain, Man Hunt and Slaterry's Hurricane come immediatly to my mind).

Musicals: Faye, Grable, Henie (Rose of Washington Square, Hello Frisco Hello, Tin Pan Alley, Mother wore Tights, Springtime in the rockies, Coney Island, Iceland, Thin Ice, Second Fiddle, Sun Valley Serenade, just to name a few).

Speaking of musicals, the selection made for the next wave (Girls next door and Bloodhounds of Broadway) really gives me hope to see Margie and Centennial Summer on dvd.

A Tree Grows in Brooklyn, Forever Amber, Story of Alexander Graham Bell, Clunny Brown, Dragonwyck, The Fan, Stanley and Livingstone...

Loretta Young (Ramona, Three Blind Mice, Wife, husband and friend, Come to the Stable)

Maureen O'Hara (Sitting Pretty, Sentimental Journey, Foxes of Harrow)

More Tyrone Power (Suez, Cafe Metropole, Johnny Apolo, This Above All, That Wonderful Urge, Rawhide)

Susan Hayward (specially Garden of Evil, Untamed and The President's Lady)

CineKarine

Supporting Actor
Real Name
Karine Philippot

Again, in complete agreement. And the upcoming titles also give me hope we might see even more titles never released on home video, like MARGIE, CENTENNIAL SUMMER and also THE BEST THINGS IN LIFE ARE FREE, I'LL GET BY, GOLDEN GIRL, OH YOU BEAUTIFUL DOLL, THE GREAT AMERICAN BROADCAST etc. My wants echo yours completely - I would buy any of the ones you mentioned! :)

Sean A

Stunt Coordinator

It starred Don Murray, Eva Marie Saint, Lloyd Nolan, Henry Silva, and in one of his earliest films, Anthony Franciosa (who was nominated for an Oscar). Directed by the great Fred Zinnemann, a lot of it was filmed on location in NYC, so we get some great footage of the city in the 1950s

Simon Howson

Screenwriter
I think it is too much of a coincidence that so many films directed by Kazan seem to be in legal limbo. The other one currently is Boomerang! but previously East of Eden had legal issues that took about a year to resolve. My understanding is that Kazan was one of the highest paid directors during the 1950s, so it is possible he retained a lot of rights over these films. It is likely that the generous contracts he was able to negotiate in the 1950s are impacting on the DVD release of these films.

RobertGr

Second Unit
Hey Sean

It sounds like a great film, I will keep my eyes open for it on Fox Movie Channel and keep my fingers crossed for a dvd release! I love the Fox films with location work in NYC during the 1940's and 1950's! Have you ever seen their great film THE HOUSE ON 92nd ST? It is a classic gem that pioneered a lot of hidden camera filming in NYC of the 1940's!

Sean A

Stunt Coordinator

"A Hatful of Rain" was based on a play by Michael V Gazzo, who is now remembered for playing Frankie Pantangeli in "Godfather 2". It concerns a former Korean War vet (Murray) who while injured becomes hooked on morphine and moves to heroin. He keeps it a secret from his wife and father (Saint and Nolan), while his ne'er do well brother (Franciosa ), out of pity and loyalty, helps him with his habit. Every now and then it shows up on the Fox movie Channel- make sure you catch the letterboxed showings, since this is in B&W CinemaScope.

I haven't seen "House on 92nd St" in a while. I'll have to keep an eye open for it. I'm a sucker for any films made in NYC locations from the 1940's-1970's.

Matt Hough

Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Matt Hough
Another recommendation for A HATFUL OF RAIN. It's a gripping and tremendously moving play, and the film is worthy of it.

In the late 1960s, ABC-TV did a series of TV dramas based on plays and movies, and A HATFUL OF RAIN was one of them. Sandy Dennis played the Eva Marie Saint role, and she was stunning in the part. Made me fall in love with the play all over again.

Joe Caps

Senior HTF Member
I would love to see a Hatful of Rain on Dvd. It has a great music score by Bernard Herrmann.
The film was originally Cinemascope (2:35) and four channel stereo, but so far, Fox can not seem to find the stereo track. only mono versions have shown on FXM.

RobertGr

Second Unit
Hey Sean

The House on 92nd Street will be on Cinemax this Thurs 7/26/07 I think at 6am, if you get the channel tape it! I am very eager to see A HATFUL OF RAIN, between your recommedation and MattH and Joe Caps too as you all are classic movie mavens it sounds like a must see film!

I think Fox hit a home run on a site devoted to "classics" and this thread can provide Fox with some great insight to what classics we would love to see. I just got CHARLEY'S AUNT today I had read Steve O's post about it and he too has great taste in classics so I took a chance and the film is really great. Some very good laughs and great performances by all in the cast especially Laird Cregar. So it seems Fox is listening to the classic film fans and indeed opening their film vault.

BethHarrison

Second Unit
Real Name
Bethany Harrison
Would Fox be all that keen on a second Betty Grable set? I heard that the first set had disappointing sales.

Awesome news about Daisy Kenyon. I have pre-ordered the horror titles and am waiting for The Robe as with anticipation as well - being a big fan of Burton and Simmons.

I purchased Boomerang when it was first released, so I don't think I have any reason to double dip on it.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
blitz
Recent bookmarks