What's new

Check Fraud (1 Viewer)

Carl Johnson

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Carl III
I have in my possession what most likely is a counterfeit money order. Someone responded to my rental listing by claiming to be in Europe but from Saudi Arabia. He's going to be staying in my town and would like to rent my house sight unseen. The deal was his dad would send me a money order to cover the first few months rent and the security deposit plus some spending money which of course I'm supposed to pass on to the renter. A $5500 money order arrived today and of course I strongly suspect that it's a forgery. Should I report this to the local police or is there a specific branch of the federal government that deals with this kind of stuff?

Andrew Bunk

Screenwriter
Terrorists?

I would think a bank or currency exchange could trace its origin.

But mentioning it your local PD isn't a bad idea.

Christ Reynolds

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
CJ
RUN AWAY. run as far away from this deal as you possibly can. it's a known scam. i doubt your local police would have anything to offer.

CJ

Christ Reynolds

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
CJ
whatever the origin is, it will "clear" temporarily, then the bank will realize it IS a forgery, and you'll be liable for every penny.

try selling a big ticket item such as a laptop, you'd get all kinds of bogus offers like this.

CJ

Holadem

Senior HTF Member
Old scam. I got similar offers when I listed my car on craigslist 2 years ago.

--
H

Carl Johnson

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Carl III
I'm fully expecting to get an email from the guy claiming to be stuck in New York and can I please Western Union him $500 so he can make his way to Indiana. When that happens he's just gonna have to stay stuck. The law isn't likely to take much interest in the money order for now, but if I were to attempt to cash it somebody would turn their undivided attention on me.

Glenn Overholt

Senior HTF Member
Take it to your bank and explain the situation to them. If it is bad, I'm sure they'll let you know. Oh, and don't send anybody anything until you get an ok from them.

If it is a scam, the bank will hopefully call the feds up. Who knows, the feds might get in on it and bust it up.

Glenn

ChristopherDAC

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
AE5VI
The Secret Service deals with counterfeiting of US government obligations, and maintain an active interest in bank-fraud matters and the like. There's an office in Indianapolis and another in Chicago; your telephone directory ought to list the nearer one under "Federal Government". If I suspected securities forgery or wire fraud, I'd turn the documents &c. over to them.

Philip_G

Senior HTF Member
I had someone reply to my ad with a similar bit but he never sent the fake money order, I was sad as I wanted to report him.

Todd Hochard

Senior HTF Member
A various on the 419 scam. Do a Google search. Stop by www.419eater.com and see people having fun with scammers.

A guy on another message board is currently stringing one of these goons along with the name "Austin Powervich.":D

Christ Reynolds

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
CJ
the problem is, you will get an OK from the bank at first, but then they will find out the money order is actually counterfeit. happens all the time, to everyone gullible enough to proceed.

don't treat the money order as $5,500. you should treat it as what it is, which is -$5,500.

CJ

Carl Johnson

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Carl III
The Secret Service has an office here in Indy, I'm gonna stop by there to explain the situation. I'll have to talk to them one way or another and I would prefer to do it on my terms. They would probably be a bit less friendly if I was under investigation for having committed bank fraud as opposed taking it directly to them.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
CoolMovies
Recent bookmarks