What's new

"Check Engine" Light on a Pre ODB II Car (1 Viewer)

WillG

Senior HTF Member
My fiancee had a check engine light come on on her '95 Maxima. Took it to Auto Zone to have it checked but since it is a '95 it is Pre ODB II and Auto Zone was unable to check it out. Does anyone know where I might be able to get it checked out without having to go to the dealership and get robbed by them the check the diagnostic?

WillG

Senior HTF Member

Nothing that is obvious. That's why I don't want to pay close to $100 to find out it was nothing.

I did check the gas cap as well, so I don't think that is the problem.

Scott L

Senior HTF Member
Check out Maxima.org

Same happened on my 96 Maxima. There's a pattern of switches you trigger and then check engine light flashes a number or times, indicating one or multiple 4-digit codes.

Turned out to be my knock sensor. Bought a new OEM one on ebay for the price of a full diagnostic from a mechanic. Did the labor myself too. Knock sensor is a common problem on our cars after 10 years, and unfortunately it's a pita to change. I & many others still have the scar on our hands to prove it. ;)

Bob Graz

Supporting Actor
Autozone should have been able to read it. I have a 94 Mercury Sable, took it to Autozone a year or so and they read it. Took it back a couple months ago and a different person told me they couldn't read it. I found the guy who read it the first time and he got the code reader and read it. It's not always easy to diagnose to a part just reading a code though.

Users who are viewing this thread