What's new

"Check Disc" Error on Toshiba SD 1600 (1 Viewer)

Woo Jae

Screenwriter
Hello folks

I just checked my 2.5 year old Toshiba 1600 which will no longer recognize any discs... It will not even read CDs anymore - all it gives is the "Check Disc" Error. Does this mean the player is no longer serviceable? Please advise...

Jack Briggs

Senior HTF Member
Try unplugging the unit for a little while (a few minutes, at least) and then restarting. Also, have you been feeding the machine clean discs? Just some offhand ideas.

Woo Jae

Screenwriter
Thanks for the response, Mr. Briggs.

They are pretty clean (light scratches at its worst).

I guess I am trying to figure out if it is worth "fixing" by taking to a repair center or just getting a progressive scan player (as we all know, broken hardware => new hardware ;) ) Thing is, finances this month are a bit tight, and I do have other DVD players in the house ( a Toshiba 2700 ( the 2-disc changing one.) )

I will try your suggestion, and I will also continue trying to use DVD lens cleaners ( maybe a wet lens cleaner will do better)

Woo Jae

Screenwriter
Well, nothing seems to work, so that means I will get a new player.

I am leaning toward a Panasonic RP-91 since it is progressive (my first) and seems to do well with lots of diff equipment.

My main set up is:

36" Toshiba TV with only S-Video (3~4 years old)
HK AVR520
JBL N25 and N20

The one in my own room (which is probably the most used) is

Yamaha RX420
JBL Satellite Speakers (4) with S Center and Sub.
Toshiba 27" Flat Screen TV with Component inputs.

Would you folks recommend the RP91 for either of my set ups?

Ron_L

Second Unit
RP91 is apparently pretty good. I can vouch for the toshiba 3800 or 4800...both excellent machines.

Woo Jae

Screenwriter
Just ordered the RP91 in champagne color fron Newegg.com with 2 day fedex. The many opionions on this site for that player had already sealed the deal for me. Besides, if I do at some point get a LARGE WS HD TV (> 40") I know that this player will be able to perform...

Thanks for all the advice..

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
blitz
Recent bookmarks