Cheapie-deapie DVD player to replace $1000 deck?

Discussion in 'Playback Devices' started by Aaron Silverman, Dec 23, 2003.

1. Aaron Silverman

Aaron Silverman Executive Producer

Jan 22, 1999
    Aaron Silverman
    Hi gang,

I've finally gotten myself a 16:9 set (Mits 55513), but am still using the Pioneer Elite DV-05 that's been attached to my old 4:3 set for several years now. I don't really want to lay out the dough right now for another expensive player, since I just spent a bundle on the set and a whole lot of new discs.

Would it be worth it to pick up one of those cheap players that does progressive scan? Will the prog scan on a sub-$100 deck improve the PQ over the old higher-end player? If so, what's a good one to get?

Eventually I want to upgrade to SACD and DVD-A compatibility, but for the time being am wondering if one of those cheap players would be worth it in the interim. (Alternatively, if there is a sub-$200 player that has SACD and/ or DVD-A, and would be much higher quality than the dirt-cheap models, I could be persuaded!)

One more thing. . .PAL->NTSC conversion and multi-region capability would be bonus.
  2. Don_Berg

Don_Berg Supporting Actor

May 30, 2003
    No, the cheapest progressive scan DVD player model with a decent de-interlacer (better than the one in your HDTV) is around $300. You need a model with a Faroudja or Silicon Image de-interlacer for good quality, like the Denon DVD-1600 or DVD-910.
  3. Jeff W.

Jeff W. Stunt Coordinator

Dec 21, 2003
    I bought a $65 Toshiba, and it's going right back. Too many PQ issues, and this was in interlaced mode on a 27" Wega... IMO save a few more $ and get a good player.