Cheapest way to use RCA (line level?) output to drive headphones

Discussion in 'Archived Threads 2001-2004' started by Charles J P, Dec 12, 2001.

1. Charles J P

Charles J P Cinematographer

Aug 19, 2000
    CJ Paul
    Hey all, I had a great idea that would really make my bedroom "HT" more enjoyable. My fiance will of course, kill me if I try to add any HT gear to our modest (27" tv + cheap VCR + Cheap DVD) bedroom system. I do however own a nice pair of grado SR60s that I am very happy with and would like to use when I watch movies in there while she is using the main system. I was wondering what way, if any, I can use the analog audio outputs to drive headphones. I had a few thoughts, but am testing the HTF waters for cheaper or better possibilities. My thoughs thus far are

1) headphone amp

2) powered pc speakers with built in headphone jack.

3) ????

Now, the one cool thing about the cheap ass Apex player in the the bedroom is that it has variable volume analog outputs via the remote, so all I need is one of those mini jack to RCA cable adapters to implement one of the solutions above and I have volume control without a preamp or receiver. Any better or cheaper ideas?
  2. Christian Dolan

Christian Dolan Stunt Coordinator

Nov 26, 2001
    Not quite so cheap, but someone (don't remember who) makes a 5.1 system for headphone use (with, I believe, Dolby Headphone). The reviews say it works pretty convincingly.

3. Nick G

Nick G Stunt Coordinator

Aug 12, 2001
    Charles, at work I listen to cds played on my computer using the headphone plug on my ~$25 pc speakers. I listen with Grado SR80s and it sounds pretty decent.