Cheapest way to get additional DirecTV receiver?

Discussion in 'Archived Threads 2001-2004' started by Tim Holyoke, Mar 6, 2003.

1. Tim Holyoke

Tim Holyoke Second Unit

We have DirecTV now, but just a single room setup. We do have an extra cable running into the basement from the dish though. So, I would like to get another receiver and use the extra cable on it, since it is only about $5 more per month (it is, right?). I'm just looking for a basic receiver, nothing special. So, I've looked only at Radioshack's site, and I see they have a basic receiver for $125 and a complete one room system for $25! What gives? Does the single room one require a new customer and activation within a given period of time? It just doesn't seem like I should have to pay $125 to get a receiver when I can get the entire system, just use the receiver and have the extra dish in case something happens to our current one, all for $25. Could somebody explain this to me? Thanks.

2. Robert_J

Robert_J Lead Actor

Robert

3. Tim Holyoke

Tim Holyoke Second Unit

Hmmm, thanks, the only thing I can think of to say is "It's not fair!!!" Oh well, thanks for the explanation.

4. LewB

LewB Screenwriter

Lots of DSS receivers available on e-bay. You can probably get one there and call D* to get it activated. Ones without the access card should be pretty cheap. As always, be careful about who you deal with.
    You can also check the hardware for sale forum here [​IMG]

5. Eric Stuckey

Eric Stuckey Second Unit

Im with ya Tom,I have 2 recievers now and I found a 4 way lnb on ebay for 80 $ but how do I get 2 more recievers with out paying $200-400 for them? Its stupid to penalize us for wanting more then 2 recievers.

6. David Scott

David Scott Stunt Coordinator

Many times you can find "open box" deals at circuit city and other places. Check around, you may find a bargain.

7. Bruce N

Bruce N Second Unit

8. ManW_TheUncool

ManW_TheUncool Producer

ManW
    Does this issue also apply to upgrading a receiver??

I was planning to get DirecTV service w/ a 2-room system and will want to upgrade one of them to an HD DirecTivo when they finally come out later this year (or early next year?). Will I have the same problem w/ the eventual upgrade as w/ adding an extra receiver?

Thanks.

_Man_

9. MikeSh

MikeSh Stunt Coordinator

Both BB & CC carry cheap DTV receivers for about 50 bucks (49.99) for either existing or new customers.

I became a DTV customer about a month ago, bought the hdvr2 for the living room and the cheapo for the bedroom. Loved the hdvr2 so much, even the wife loves it, that after about a week I bought a 2nd hdvr2 from Abtelec. I installed it myself and returned the cheapo to CC within the 30 day return period. So my SWAG is that if you buy a cheapo now, "when" the HD combo comes out you will be able to swap it in w/o a lot of hassle. You will possibly/probably have to agree to a new 12 month DTV contract though at that time.

MikeS.