cheapest way to call Spain?

Discussion in 'After Hours Lounge (Off Topic)' started by Christ Reynolds, Sep 11, 2003.

1. Christ Reynolds

Christ Reynolds Producer

CJ
    my girlfriend of nearly a year has left to get her masters degree in spanish in madrid, through a satellite program in the states. so, i need an affordable way to make phone calls to Spain. i wont be making THAT many calls, as we will be exchanging letters and emails and the like. does anyone have any ideas about what i should do? does anyone know what methods of calling i should avoid? how about the 10-10-987 number, anyone ever use that? help is appreciated, muchos grassy ass.

CJ

2. Dave Poehlman

Dave Poehlman Producer

3. Christ Reynolds

Christ Reynolds Producer

CJ

4. ThomasC

ThomasC Lead Actor

Calls to Western Europe get the same deal as the ones to the U.S. and Canada for 10-10-987. That seems like the best deal if you plan on talking for more than just a few minutes.

http://www.1010987.com

5. Michael Boyd

Michael Boyd Second Unit

I had a girlfriend in Spain once too. Barcelona. I bought minutes from priceline.com every once in awhile. pretty reasonable, dont know if they still have that offer or not.

6. Patrick Sun

Patrick Sun Moderator

Do I-Phones work for international calls?

7. Bob Graz

Bob Graz Supporting Actor

I would think a prepaid calling card for Spain would be the cheapest route.

8. Mark Hedges

Mark Hedges Second Unit

I have been getting pretty good deals on international prepaid phonecards from Nobelcom.com. I don't think the rates are actually as cheap as they make them out to be but they are still a lot cheaper than the phone company.

Mark

9. Greg_R

Greg_R Screenwriter

Greg
    The prepaid phone cards are what my coworkers use (they call Europe and India constantly).

10. Jassen M. West

Jassen M. West Supporting Actor

What if she gets an cell phone in Spain (it would have to work on both European and American cell systems),she sends you the cell phone and you use that to call her, i think T-mobile is international,, that way when you make a phone call to Spain its still technically a local call? i think it would work....

just remembered, IP based phone calls are free,no matter where you call. you need some sort of program to do it though, you basically connect to the internet (any kind of connection ex. dial up / broadband / dsl / T1 whatever) and make the call through the internet.

11. david stark

david stark Second Unit

12. Chris Lockwood

Chris Lockwood Producer

Cheapest way to call? Find another girlfriend in your town.

13. Christian Behrens

Christian Behrens Supporting Actor

Christian Behrens
    I use 10 10 987 to call to Germany regularly, it works just fine.

And forget about all these suggestions of cell phones. When you are in a different country, you pay roaming charges because you're using someone else's network, so it's never a local call when moving a cell phone out of its country of origin.

-Christian

14. Lary Larson

Lary Larson Stunt Coordinator

Haven't tried it - but this looks promising.

15. Christ Reynolds

Christ Reynolds Producer

CJ
    i'm downloading that skype software to check it out now. and she just got a cell phone in spain, so i would be calling to that phone. she didnt take her american phone to spain, she signed up for a phone in spain, so there wouldnt be any strange roaming charges. and in spain, you dont pay for incoming calls on a cell phone. wonder why we cant do that here. we get fleeced by the phone companies on cell phones here. thanks for all the suggestions, i will look into all of them (except chris's suggestion [​IMG])

CJ

16. Chris Dias

Chris Dias Stunt Coordinator

Chris
    Well Christ I can tell you what I do and I consider myself a bit of an expert because A couple of years ago my Girlfriend was in Korea and now my current girlfrind is in England. (I just got back from there)

Anyway I have tried a million diferent things over the years to get the cheapest long distance rates. And here is what I have come up with:

I guess the cheapest thing would be a free PC to PC call over the internet. There are a bunch of programs out there but I have never actually done that because my girlfriend in Korea didn't have a pc at the time. Butsome of those programs let you call from PC to phone for a small fee. But don't waste your time because the quality is very poor.

So anyway the absolute best deal around is to get those prepaid phone cards. But of course there is a catch. It took me quite some time to find the right one beacause there are tons of them out there and some just plain rip you off.

So first of all you're going to want one with no connection fee and a low rate to spain. You'll have to scour the poster ads that you see and the stores. But the problem is you can't always trust them. They might say No Connection fee and No hidden charges and even if you read the fine print it may look like a good deal. So then you make a call and it says you have let's say 100 minutes left, then you talk for 10 minutes, then next time it says you only have 50 minutes left. A lot of cards do this. So I looked into it and it turns out they charge you a "first minute charge" which is like 50 cents for the first minute or something like that. I couldn't believe it when I heard that. And thiat was supposed to be a "No connection fee" card. BUt if you try out a few different cards you should find the right one. The one I've got is just called "Calling Card" and out of the many that I've tried it is by far the best one. My rate to england is 1.5 cents(Canadian)/minute But I don't know if that card is available in the States.

The other problem you will run into is that since your girlfriend has a cell phone you will have to pay at least an extra 50 cents /minute. All of Europe has riduculous surcharges on cell phone use. So I would strongly suggest that your Girlfriend get a land line if she can.

Well I realize this was a very long response but I thought I'd help you out because I feel your pain. But now with the rates I'm getting i talk to my Girlfriend everyday and it is cheaper that her calling her next door neighbour.

Good Luck,
    Chris

17. Chris Dias

Chris Dias Stunt Coordinator

Chris
    I just re-read your last post and I thought I would just add something. You think that we get fleeced by cell phone companies over here but have lived in England for the past 2 years I think it is the other way around. It might sound like a good idea to not get charged for incoming cell calls, well actually it is a good idea. But the problem is The pearson making the call is the one who pays for it. Making a call to a cell phone in Europe is considerably more expensive than making a call to a land line. I know here in Canada, making a call to a cell phone is free (Local Call) for the caller.

Anyway let me know if you have any questions,
    Chris

18. Dave E H

Dave E H Supporting Actor

try wwww.vonage.com - .05 a minute.

I've got a vonage phone and the call quality is really good. just plugs into your DSL and away you go.

19. JohnE

JohnE Supporting Actor

Do they offer Xbox Live over there? [​IMG] $50 a year for a subscription and you can play games while chatting with the GF.

20. GordonL

GordonL Supporting Actor

Try www.onesuite.com $0.025/min. It's kind of like using a prepaid phonecard in that you buy your minutes up front. To get the lowest rate, register your home phone number and dial thru a local access number. If you dial thru using the toll-free number, it's $0.045/min, which is still pretty cheap.