What's new

Cheapest way to call Europe from the U.S.? (1 Viewer)

Scott_lb

Supporting Actor
Sorry for the re-post, but there seems to have been a technical glitch with the original post.

Anyway, my fiancee is taking a three-week tour of Europe with her mom next month and we are searching for the most financially feasible way to talk to one another on the phone (maybe two or three times over the duration of the entire trip). Is purchasing one of those international calling cards from Target or Wal-mart the best way to go? Any thoughts you might have are greatly appreciated!

Christ Reynolds

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
CJ
my girlfriend went to middlebury college language school and spent a year in spain, and i used 10-10-987 all the time. pretty cheap, gets added to your normal phone bill. probably not as cheap as a calling card, but i know they aren't all as cheap as they seem, some have high connect charges in the fine print. i guess it all depends on how much you'll be talking to her.

CJ

Scott_lb

Supporting Actor
Hi guys - No, she will not have a laptop with her. Also, if this means anything, I do not have a "land line" in my apartment. My cell phone is my sole telephone (hence my reference to a pay phone). It sounds like the international long distance calling card might be my best bet - thoughts?

Matt Stryker

Screenwriter
Real Name
Matt
You can always skype to her using SkypeOut - you'll just have to get the phone number of where shes at so you can call her first. Its ridiculously cheap as long and will work fine as long as you have broadband at your end.

ThomasC

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Thomas
It's an old post bumped up by spam, Steve. To answer your question, there might not be service, and if there is, I would think there would be international roaming charges that would negate the convenience of using the same phone.

andrew markworthy

Senior HTF Member
I think it would work out punitively expensive. And not all do work in Europe. I can't give you the precise details because it's not something I'm very familiar with, but I do know that when you buy a mobile phone in the UK at least, you're often asked if you will want to use it on holiday abroad, and if so where, as not all phones can be used on all systems.

Christopher23

Auditioning
Real Name
Christopher
If you frequently use calling cards, u can get upto $2.5 extra bonus credit for international calling, signing up in talkloop.com, u just need to use/post coupon code "HOTCARD09".

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
NHCondon
Recent bookmarks