Cheapest way to call Europe from the U.S.?

Discussion in 'After Hours Lounge (Off Topic)' started by Scott_lb, Apr 16, 2006.

1. Scott_lb

Scott_lb Supporting Actor

Sorry for the re-post, but there seems to have been a technical glitch with the original post.

Anyway, my fiancee is taking a three-week tour of Europe with her mom next month and we are searching for the most financially feasible way to talk to one another on the phone (maybe two or three times over the duration of the entire trip). Is purchasing one of those international calling cards from Target or Wal-mart the best way to go? Any thoughts you might have are greatly appreciated!

2. Christ Reynolds

Christ Reynolds Producer

CJ
    my girlfriend went to middlebury college language school and spent a year in spain, and i used 10-10-987 all the time. pretty cheap, gets added to your normal phone bill. probably not as cheap as a calling card, but i know they aren't all as cheap as they seem, some have high connect charges in the fine print. i guess it all depends on how much you'll be talking to her.

CJ

3. SethH

SethH Cinematographer

Will she have a laptop with her? If so, use Skype.

4. Scott_lb

Scott_lb Supporting Actor

Hi guys - No, she will not have a laptop with her. Also, if this means anything, I do not have a "land line" in my apartment. My cell phone is my sole telephone (hence my reference to a pay phone). It sounds like the international long distance calling card might be my best bet - thoughts?

5. Devin U

Devin U Second Unit

for some reason, I got errors trying to post something, so I PMed it to you.

6. Matt Stryker

Matt Stryker Screenwriter

You can always skype to her using SkypeOut - you'll just have to get the phone number of where shes at so you can call her first. Its ridiculously cheap as long and will work fine as long as you have broadband at your end.

7. vikochka

vikochka Auditioning

8. Steve_Tk

Steve_Tk Cinematographer

Can't she just take her cell phone and you call it? They work oversees too.

9. ThomasC

ThomasC Lead Actor

It's an old post bumped up by spam, Steve. To answer your question, there might not be service, and if there is, I would think there would be international roaming charges that would negate the convenience of using the same phone.

10. andrew markworthy

I think it would work out punitively expensive. And not all do work in Europe. I can't give you the precise details because it's not something I'm very familiar with, but I do know that when you buy a mobile phone in the UK at least, you're often asked if you will want to use it on holiday abroad, and if so where, as not all phones can be used on all systems.

11. Christopher23

Christopher23 Auditioning

If you frequently use calling cards, u can get upto $2.5 extra bonus credit for international calling, signing up in talkloop.com, u just need to use/post coupon code "HOTCARD09".

12. Nathan*W

Nathan*W Screenwriter

Nathan
    Dear one-post-wonders,

Please stop resurrecting old threads.

Thanks.