What's new

cheapest way for hi-rez surround? (1 Viewer)

matthewRaz

Stunt Coordinator
what would be the cheapest receiver to expand to hi-rez surround from a 2-channel system?
must have 5.1 ins and outs, and no downside audio quality wise (although the universal player would be decoding).
thanks.

Colin+M

Stunt Coordinator
I have a Yamaha HTR-5660 for sale for a good price. I used it for hi-rez a lot. Sounds really good to me, esp. for the price bracket $500 retail. I'll let mine go for $250 shipped.

here's a link

John Garcia

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
John
What's your price range? Cheap isn't the way to get good sound, so you'll have to define what "cheapest" means.

matthewRaz

Stunt Coordinator
i was hoping that using the players dac would eliminate most of the problems from the quality of the receiver. the ideas behind the question are that
1 - the pioneer 1014 is a great deal for 7.1 + lots of features (which i don't need)
2 - 5.1 is old news so a deal should be available in something good
3 - the only hitch is that i assume not all will have the analog inputs for sacd/dvd-a
4 - the 1014 is $600 cdn. so significantly less than that ($450 cdn or less - $300 amer ?)

basically the "deal" equivalent of the 1014 in a 5.1 receiver.
also like the idea of the price/sound read about the panasonic saxr-50, but no 5.1 input.

Danny Tse

Senior HTF Member
The Panasonic SA-XR50 has 5.1 inputs.

BTW, when you mention "hi-rez", do you mean decoding of SACD/DVD-A? Because if you are, with few exceptions, the player's DAC will be doing the decoding.

John Garcia

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
John
I'd say just get the 1014, unless you are looking to spend even less than that. You don't have to use the other 2 channels right now, but they are there for future expansion.

New only or used too? You should be able to find a used Marantz or Harmank Kardon 5.1 receiver that meets your specs for pretty cheap and they are both great with music.

What speakers?

matthewRaz

Stunt Coordinator
i'd look at used stuff. would use the player's dac for redbook too (if it means getting away with a cheaper receiver). then use digital for movies only. my mains are energy c7 floorstanders and i would stick to energy for surrounds and centre after i decide on a receiver.
the player is a yamaha c750.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
papill6n
Recent bookmarks