What's new

Cheapest Vibration Isolator Ever (1 Viewer)

Dan Pawlowski

Stunt Coordinator
Try hockey pucks, not the real ones but the soft spongy one for kids. They work great, they are less than a buck each and you can use them from components to speakers themselves.:)

Christopher Lyn

Stunt Coordinator
Dan that's a novel and good idea. Have you tried it under your amp..is it strong enough to hold up over 60 lbs?

Have tried some informal testing to see if it reduces any vibration? Let me know, as I would definitely go out and purchase some pucks, if it works.

Jason Wilcox

Supporting Actor
i've always thought that mousepads work pretty well. every so often you'll see some company handing them out for free. grab some and cut em up.

Dan Pawlowski

Stunt Coordinator
Christopher Lyn

hold up over 60 lbs??? - I dont see why not

I use them under my cd and dvd players, im not a strong believer that they would work anywhere else, except for decoupling speaker cabinets from the floor??? maybe ??

Also try racquet balls cut in half.....or there is a kids toy that is just like that you can find at a toy store for 10 cents.

Stanley cup to the Canucks 2003 for sure!!!

Dan

Danny Tse

Senior HTF Member
I was at Walmart last night and I was looking at the "Glow In The Dark" kids' hockey puck at $1.87/each....I wonder if the "Glow In The Dark" factor makes a difference?

All of a sudden, I have the idea of using hackey sacks(spelling?) underneath components as isolation devices. Anyone tried this?

Christopher Lyn

Stunt Coordinator
hmmm...what about little sand bags or bean bags?

I figure that sand might be real good at dampening sound since it is not really a solid dense mass and has space between the grains of sand for air molecules to occupy.

Anyone tried sand bags?

Chu Gai

Senior HTF Member
quite an assortment of devices...while relatively inexpensive they run the gamut in construction...however just what effect are they having over what's there already?

RichardMA

Second Unit
Blue tac and squash balls both exhibit very little
"bounce back" so they should be good for vibration isolation, but what this does mean is the vibration is
isolated to the component the materials are used to
isolate. This may or may not be a good thing. The idea
might be best that tries to distribute vibration across
as many components as possible, sort of like how a race
car distributes crash forces across it's whole body, thereby
minimizing the forces on the occupant.
Having said this, another thing that can be tried for
anti-vibration are white, rubber/plastic half-circle bumpers
that are sold at Home Depot to keep door handles from
smacking into walls. The round side matches the dished shape on various door knobs.
BTW; Do not use blue tack under very heavy equipment. It
will spread out to a paper thin layer over time.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
acinstallation562
Recent bookmarks