Cheapest soundcard with true 44.1 SPDIF out?

Discussion in 'Archived Threads 2001-2004' started by Mark Tranchant, Jul 1, 2002.

1. Mark Tranchant

Mark Tranchant Stunt Coordinator

I'm looking to integrate my PC into my AV system, and use it as a CD jukebox. I plan to rip all my CDs using a lossless compressor like Monkey's Audio or LPAC to maintain maximum quality, and use a soundcard's SPDIF output to feed my receiver.

As this will be purely digital and I'm not (at the moment) interested in 24/96 or other formats, what is the cheapest soundcard I can get that supports a 16/44.1 digital output?

I don't want a resampled 48kHz (like Creative), and I don't care about coax or optical, or analogue sound quality. I'm hoping to spend less than M-Audio or Terratec money. Anyone tried the Zoltrix Nightingale for this application?

2. Eric Samonte

Eric Samonte Screenwriter

I've used an Aureal SQ2500 with a digital coax out. While I don't know the actual specs, it does work great. If u can find one, it sells for just about $15-$20 now.

3. CarlDJr

CarlDJr Stunt Coordinator

4. Thomas Vong

Thomas Vong Extra

FYI, I have the SQ2500 and I can't get it to output Dolby Digital in WinXP and PowerDVD. It works 100% in WinME/9x though. PCM digital out works great on all Win OSes.

Thomas

5. Max Leung

Max Leung Producer

Keep in mind that the Aureal cards are no longer in production, and are not supported anymore! Aureal went under nearly 2 years ago.

My Aureal card had an option for 44.1 Khz output on the SPDIF, but I am uncertain if it down/upsamples or not.

6. Kris McLaughlin

Kris McLaughlin Stunt Coordinator

I'm using the Zoltrix Nightingale Pro 6, and it works well. It was cheap and has optical & coax digital ins & outs, selectable at 44.1 or 48khz. Whether or not it's resampled, I don't know. Sounds good to me, though. Maybe do some searching over at the AVS forum, they have a great HTPC forum.
    (edited for poor grammar)

7. AllenD

AllenD Second Unit

Try an Maudio AP 2496. I use one for my HTPC/Jukebox. Great sound!