What's new

Cheapest remote with full learning capabilities? (1 Viewer)

HienD

Stunt Coordinator
I looking to buy a new universal remote with full learning capabilities on all buttons. It's for a DVD, VCR, CD, RECEIVER and SAT. I have a this RCA remote right now and it only has 4 learning keys. I want the cheapest remote with learning function on all keys. I have a non brandname dvd player that won't work with the rca. Max I wanted to spend is $100cnd. Any recommendations?

I was thinking this one from Sony

Thanks

HienD

Stunt Coordinator
In canada, they don't sell the 900, just the 700. Also, looks like the 900 series has some reliability problems. The buttons seem to die fairly quick. I've seen the kamaleon 8 advertised for $100cnd everywhere. I was thinking of this one but don't know how many buttons are programmable.

MikeSRC

Second Unit
The Kameleon can only learn about 20-25 buttons. Everything else is done with the large database of codes and upgradeability available. The biggest problem is that you cannot change the button layout of any screen.

Jon_Skiffington

Auditioning
I've been using the VL900 for about a year now, and couldn't be happier with it. The database of codes is pretty good, but the learning function is outstanding! Don't like what a button does? Change it!

The learning function is quite slick, and once you get used to it (it took me about 3 or 4 times to get the process down), you can program all the functions for a device in a couple of minutes.

I'm using it right now to control an HK AVR525, Sony DVD, Motorola Cable Box, Panasonic VCR, and a pathetic 27" Samsung TV...which is next on the upgrade list, by the way. ;)

EricWT

Grip
They used to sell the 900 in Canada-- we bought a couple from the Sony store as gifts. On their website they now only have the 700 and the 1000 so I am guessing the 900 is being replaced, at least in Canada.

So I would call some Sony stores and see if they have any left; maybe they will even be discounted! If I recall we did pay about $100.

Eric

HienD

Stunt Coordinator
Thanks Eric. I'll call all my local sonystore and see if they have any left in stock. I also saw a zenith 7 device remote with learning capabilites. Didn't see any dedicated learning buttons, so I'm asumming all the buttons are programable. Philips also has one similar. Both list for $25us. I'm going to see if I can get my hands on one of these. Hopefully they have enough memory to hold learned codes for all buttons on most devices.

Lee Bailey

Second Unit
Real Name
Lee Bailey
I also vote for the VL900. Mine has lasted for three years, just have one button that started to act up, had to press harder to make it work. So, I replaced it with another VL900. Since it has training capabilities, I was able to just transfer all the functions to the new remote by aiming them together, and setting up the transfer. You should be able to get them online at a good price.

Steve Griswold

Stunt Coordinator
The Radio Shack 15-2116 is $30 and far outperforms most other remotes I've used in terms of durability, feel, and usability. The JP1 connector on it is invaluable.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Ertugrul
Recent bookmarks