Cheapest receiver with preouts or a good preamp

Discussion in 'AV Receivers' started by bruin, Apr 28, 2003.

1. bruin

bruin Second Unit

I'm not so good with the terminology but I believe what I need is a receiver w/ preouts as I'm planning to get a 5 channel amp to match.

I've read that the receiver may be a limiting factor in quality so what is an alternative to the receiver? What components exactly?

I will need something that has a tuner, dts, and dolby digital, 5.1 channel preouts...

I'm upgrading from just a receiver to something that can handle my AV1+'s. I have a Harman 320 and it gets really hot now (I guess because of the AV1+'s 4ohms)

So I've got the amp figured out now all I need are suggestions...go with a cheap receiver with preouts or other component(s). Budget is $200-300 used

I want the best value

2. John Garcia

John Garcia Executive Producer

John
    Your 320 HAS pre-outs.

3. Kevin Alexander

Kevin Alexander Screenwriter

The H/K AVR-320 DOES indeed have preouts. All you need to do is get an outboard 5 or 7 channel amp to hook it up to. Also all H/K receivers run somewhat hotter than others, but it is normal w/ them. However, since you are running 4 ohm speakers, getting an outboard amp should be a priority for you right now.

4. RobWil

RobWil Supporting Actor

At ecost.com there are a few refurbs that fit your price range and would make decent pre-pros. The Yamaha RX-V630 for $314 shipped to your door has pre-outs for all channels and is in stock. The Pioneer VSX-24TX for $261 and VSX-33TX for $300 have pre-outs (both currently out of stock).
    On ebay lots of receivers would fit into that price range like the Pioneer VSX-811/812/912.
    If you don't care about DTS decoding or DPLII you can get something like the Yamaha RX-V992 for $250 plus shipping on ebay using "Buy it now'.
    And yes, the 320 does have pre-outs, sheesh...I didn't read the entire post and I auditioned that box for 30 days! :b:
    It would make a very decent pre-pro.

5. Chuck Bogie

Chuck Bogie Second Unit

Suggest that you set all your speaks to "small" for now, if you haven't already.

Had another thought - Could be that the box would run cooler if you could take a little load off - Like maybe a pair of monoblock amps for either the surrounds or the mains...

6. bruin

bruin Second Unit

Hey guys, Thanks for the suggestions. The AVR320 is my parents receiver and I just sold my cheapy model Yammy so I just tested out my AV1+s with the 320. So I'm looking for something for myself.

What about separates? I'm really looking at an outboard amp...so which way to process? You guys have already suggested some receivers. Are there any separates you guys can recommend within $300?

7. Paul Clarke

Paul Clarke Supporting Actor

Agree with everyone else...the 320 makes for a fine pre/pro. What you need to reduce the heat and get more clean sound from it is a decent multi-channel amp. Keep the 320 and add some bucks to the $300 for a nice used amp and you'll be much happier in the long run. Your ears will thank you.

8. Rick Guynn

Rick Guynn Second Unit

You can get a used Sherwood AVP-9080 for probably just a little more than $300. Also in that general price area are the the Marantz 550 and 560. The 550 is DD only, the 560 adds DTS. Check around at Audiogon, you will see some there on occasion.

RG

9. Chuck Bogie

Chuck Bogie Second Unit

Well, if you're using preouts on the receiver, just about any amp that'll output a clean signal will work okay. I've got a buddy who is currently building a theater/music room. The power is gonna be three Phase Linear 400s and a 700 for the sub. These things were build back around 1980, right? But they'll work fine to amplify whatever signal his preamp sends.

10. bruin

bruin Second Unit

thanks for the advice guys. you've all helped me direct my focus. I love great sound...There's just no turning back to quality (within a budget of course) hehe