Cheapest receiver to do HD bandwidth component switching?

Discussion in 'AV Receivers' started by Eric-S, Feb 4, 2004.

1. Eric-S

Eric-S Stunt Coordinator

I am looking for the most inexpensive Av receiver that will do component video switching with enough bandwidth to handle HD signals. I have the Denon 3802, but that will only handle 480p. Anything higher, and the image starts to soften. Any help would be apreciated.

Thanks,

Eric

2. John S

John S Producer

I have switched HD through 3802's without any notice-able degrading of the 1080i content. Maybe this happens on 720p in particular perhaps, something I have not done yet or tried.

I am almost shocked at your statement. And I just use cheaper GE component cables too.

The next step up is 100mhz switching, but I have hooked up and switched HD through many 50mhz switching AVR's now, and have not once noticed a difference. Incuding my own 4802.

3. Eric-S

Eric-S Stunt Coordinator

I guess I remember seeing that the Denon 3802 is rated around 27, -3db

I think 1080i has a bandwidth of 31.5 I honestly haven't tried it...maybe I'll give it a shot.

Thanks

4. John S

John S Producer

Oh yeah, give it a shot.. I think you will be pleased myself.. I thought the 3802 was 50mhz switching same as my 4802.....

Everybody I know seems to have picked this year to get real HDTV going on their systems. I have been busy, but I actually have started to turn some profit on my installs for the first time in 5 years of doing HT work for people. lol

5. Eric-S

Eric-S Stunt Coordinator

I just looked at the manual. 27MHz @ -3db...

6. John S

John S Producer

Dang that is rough... I think I'd look for an external switcher.... The newer 3803's are rated at 100mhz I believe....

7. Dave Moritz

Dave Moritz Producer
    Supporter

Dave Moritz
    I am waiting for the new Denon 3805 to see the light of day. This model has everything and 100MHz video switching. I saw the demo at CES this year and it was said to retail at $1200 when it is released. Not sure if this helps but if you are looking to upgrade your 3803 this may be of interest to you? I am looking to upgrade my Yamaha RX-V995 to the AVR-3805 hopefully or maybe better if my pocket book allows. My 995 is worse off than your 3803 as my reciever is around 10 - 15 MHz. I hope you find a solution that works out good for yourself, good luck. If you have any questions requarding specs or options on the AVR-3805 please feel free to email me. I have the info on a cd rom that I got from Denon at CES.

8. Bob*S

Bob*S Stunt Coordinator

I am also considering the Denon 3805 when it becomes available (my dealer says they start shipping in March). I want a digital link between my player and receiver so the other possible candidate for my receiver is the Pioneer Elite VSX-55TXi. But the Denon has an extra component input @100MHz (v. Pioneer's 40MHz) and also offers up-conversion to component output from S-Video and composite.

9. David Judah

David Judah Screenwriter

I think HD tops out just below 34 MHz. I'd still A/B it though. With the limitations of alot of displays and the compression involved in the transmission of an HD signal, you might not notice much difference. Still, it'd be nice to have some headroom. Now you have a reason to upgrade(as if we ever need any).[​IMG]

DJ

10. Neil White

Neil White Supporting Actor

Dave M., Eric has a 3802, not a 3803 which is what you are referring to. The 3803 does have 100MHz switching.

N

11. Harold Wazzu

Harold Wazzu Supporting Actor

The Pioneer vsxd-912k has 40 Mhz of bandwidth (not 28 like crutchfield says) and supposeably that's enough but I have no experience since I don't have an HDTV.

12. Dave Moritz

Dave Moritz Producer
    Supporter

Dave Moritz
    You are correct Neil I stand corrected :b

13. Steve_L_B

Steve_L_B Stunt Coordinator

David Judah is correct. Both 720p and 1080i have maximum bandwidth requirements of about 34MHz. The only reason you'd need more than that would be for 1080p. I've also read that currently, 1080i HDTV does not use the maximum specfied bandwidth, therefore, the affect of using 27MHz switching may not be that noticible.

Of course, when combined, the bandwdth of all of the components in the signal path (cables, switches, amps, etc.) can reduce the overall bandwidth to something significantly less than that of any individual component. For that reason, higher bandwidth components are desirable and quality cables are a must.

-Steve

14. Chip E

Chip E Screenwriter

The Denon 2803 has 100mhz component switching. That's the cheapest receiver i know that'll do it with plenty of bandwidth.

15. Eric-S

Eric-S Stunt Coordinator

Thanks everyone. I have a Denon in my HT and an Onkyo in my livingroom with a remote extender between rooms. (I share some equipment between rooms.)

If I would get a 3803 and keep the 3802 in the theater, is there any way to switch the 3803 to a second set of codes, so when I control the receiver in the livingroom, it doesn't change settings downstairs?

Thanks,

Also, does the 3803 convert s-video to component?

16. Neil White

Neil White Supporting Actor

Don't know about switching remote codes. Can tell you that the 3803 does convert both composite and S-video to component.

N

17. Eric-S

Eric-S Stunt Coordinator

Thanks Neil...