cheapest projectors with HD2 chip

Discussion in 'Displays' started by John Menoni, Feb 15, 2005.

1. John Menoni

John Menoni Stunt Coordinator

Is the BenQ 8700 the cheapest so far? Does anyone know if there are any new ones coming out?

Thank you[​IMG]

2. Travis_R

Travis_R Stunt Coordinator

to the best of my knowledge it is But I may be wrong, BenQ is a great brand If I had a bit more money to spend I would buy the 8700 over the 7800 myself but even the 7800 is pushing it for my budget

3. John Menoni

Thanks Travis. I know how you feel. I have been waiting years for the price to come down. I am finally putting up my theater. I am glad I decided to wait until the prices came down for the projectors. I remember looking at a SIM 2 projector for $9000.00 in a store and feeling overwhelmed that my time wasn't going to come. I'm so happy it seems like I'm making real headway for my HT. Unfortunately I might have to wait another 10 or 11 months to get the projector because other things in my project costed more than I first estimated.[​IMG] By mid spring my basement should be complete except for the fact that I don't have the projector. Oh well. It will be great when it is all done.

4. Travis_R

hey that wait might not be a bad thing, BenQ is coming out with 2 new projectors the PE7700 and the PE8720, from what I understand the 7800 is being phased out and the 8700 may or may not hang around a bit longer, either way, the prices on the 7800 and 8700 will be dropping, the new projectors from BenQ I believe are due out in march check out this link
    http://www.projectorcentral.com/ces_2005.htm

5. Felix_

Felix_ Auditioning

I am watching the market carefully since quite a while.
    Don't be impressed just by the Chip! The De-interlacer as well as lens and other components contribute a lot, it is the whole setting.

Similar to a car or computer you should not only look for the horse-power or the Intel but for other features. A cheap strong car is not necessarily a good car.

Also in the media there is little attention given to the de-interlacer. Also on the forum I did not receive any list of projectors giving thorough info on DLP-Chip + De-Interlacer + Black-level-Enhancements.

With regard to cheap HD2+ projectors the Sharp XV-Z2000 can be mentioned (not have seen any review) as well as the Benq 7700 to come in spring.

So you still might consider the Matterhorn Chip (1024x768) with a good De-Interlacer. Unfortunately Optoma is using in its H57 now a cheaper de-interlacer than in the previous H56.

The essential thing is how the projector shows quick movement!

6. John Menoni

Travis, Thanks for the update! Things are looking interesting. Prices continue to fall. Maybe I should wait a little longer.

Felix, unfortunately I am not well versed in the technical aspects that you are talking about. What do you think about the benq 8700? What do you think the best DLP projectors on the market are there. Not anything crazy like Runco or some other company. Who gives the most bang for the buck in your opinion?

Thanks[​IMG]

7. Felix_

Felix_ Auditioning

Despite all reviews of course it would be nice to have all brands next to each other to get a personal impression.

You cannot answer the question independently and technically as your personal perception is contributing a lot (one person sees banding, the other sees rainbow the others not).

In my opinion you should look also at the Optoma h57, its super-quiet, Benq releases two more models in spring (7700 and 8720), that means that you get the previous model much cheaper or you have the latest status.

With regard to the lens Benq was reported not to be top.

8. Travis_R

one of the features the BenQ's have is Sealed Optics, meaning the lightpath is sealed so no Dust Blobs on the inside of your lens. I have never heard anything bad about their lenses either

Some will say its a rumor but Runco does not make their own stuff, Runco buys BenQ's and swaps out the outer casing, you know that Black case on those runco's makes the projector so much better [​IMG] I believe Runco does also change the lens as well, but I cant prove any of this

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

9. John Menoni

Travis, I like your style. Your are a wild man. [​IMG] Everything I read about the BenQ is very good. I can't talk about technical issues that you need to go to school for. It seems like BenQ puts out a great projector at a nice price. Companies like Runco make things that I can never afford.

10. Felix_

Felix_ Auditioning

Travis:

agree with you that many things are just marketing but no real difference. The transparence in the market is poor and you never know what is an OEM and what is more or less just a brand-labeled product.

You think it is technology, but a lot seems to be believe, personal perception and sponsered testreports......

11. Travis_R

yeah no doubt about that, just look at BOSE, I would buy KLH speakers before I bought BOSE........ LOL

BOSE = Bring Other Sound Equipment