Cheapest good quality speaker cable????????

Discussion in 'Archived Threads 2001-2004' started by stan mucha, Jan 13, 2003.

1. stan mucha

stan mucha Stunt Coordinator

Does any one know of the cheapest place to buy good quality speaker cable with the banana ends??

stan

2. NickSP

NickSP Supporting Actor

You can go to Home Depot and buy their 12 guage cable for $.30/ft. Then head on over to Radio Shack or better yet an electrical shop and they will sell you the end connectors at a helluva price. That's what I did [​IMG]

3. Iver

Iver Second Unit

Check this page where a McIntosh engineer explains the ins and outs of speaker wire and connectors.

4. DougR

DougR Second Unit

5. Mathew Shelby

Mathew Shelby Second Unit

I just purchased 100 feet of 12 gauge speaker wire for $13.99 at Home Depot. Then I visited Rat Shack and picked up the connectors.

6. Bob McElfresh

Bob McElfresh Producer

Hi Stan.
    A lot of us like the "Sound King" brand from www.partsexpress.com. While the Radio Shack stuff is good, it was about $1/ft last time I looked. And the HomeDepot wire - some people have experienced green corrosion on the wires about a year after installing it. This may be why some Home Depot stores stopped selling 12 ga speaker wire a few months back. If you go to Home Depot, try and ask if the wire is from fresh-stock.
    The Banana Plugs: Go to Radio Shack and buy 1 pair of (xxx-308) dual bananas. Take them home and see if the spacing will fit your speakers.
    The dual bananas stick out a bit far for behind my receiver, so I use the single bananas (xxx-306) for the receiver.
    All you need is a sharp knife and some wire cutters to make a neat/clean connection. Make sure to not have any exposed copper strands sticking out (yes, you can strip too much so practice a bit.)
    Good Luck.

7. Danny Tse

Danny Tse Producer

I did a search on "Radio Shack" at the Inmate Systems page of Audio Asylum. I was surprised at how many proclaimed audiophiles (considering the cost and the type of components) used RS speaker cables and interconnects.

8. stas

stas Extra

I just realized that the $2.99 Bananna plugs at Radio Shack are the same as I paid $8/piece for (and I got about 12) at my local high end shop. They probably bought them at Radio Shack and laughed really hard after I left. I am pissed.

9. Ben_Page

Ben_Page Auditioning

partsexpress.com has Dayton Audio screw-type banana plugs 2Red and 2Black for $6.25+shipping. (Part Number 091-1260)

10. stan mucha

stan mucha Stunt Coordinator

thanks guys...

11. dougW

dougW Stunt Coordinator

The two words cheapest and best, don't usually wind up in the same sentence for audio. The best speaker cable will have teflon coating on the wire, whether copper or silver. The home depot stuff, or any other standard zip cord will sport PVC. Not the "best" for audio applications. Sure, it can be oxygen free. But my experience with zip, is all of it turns oxydizes fairly fast.

Some will argue, well you can't hear a difference. Others will argue certainly you can. You have to make up your own mind what's most important, cheap, or best. The two are mutually exclusive... IMO.

Lex

12. DavidQc

DavidQc Stunt Coordinator

i was just on homedepot's website.
    the 100 ft. of speaker wires are 16 guage, not 12.
    listed for $13.99....

although they may not be the best... they are still
    a step up from the standard wires that are offered
    with my Onkyo SKSHT500 speakers.

however... i am not a big fan of RCA.

if anyone has higher quality speaker wire suggestions...
    please chime in.

i would rather spend a bit more for higher quality wires, and be rest assured.

-david

13. Philip Hamm

Philip Hamm Lead Actor

I have been very happy with the "Webwire" brand speaker wire that I got at www.spidergear.com - their web site's kind of screwy, but the wire is great.

14. Walt Park

Walt Park Stunt Coordinator

I think when people are saying 12 ga home depot, they mean off of a large roll, that is measured and cut, not the pre-pack spool from RCA.

15. BenK

BenK Stunt Coordinator

16. Arvin

Arvin Auditioning

shoot!

i just bought 80 ft of that home depot stuff. should i use it anyway?

17. David Berry

David Berry Stunt Coordinator

Why not?

I have bought two types of 12 ga. speaker wire from Home Depot "off the roll". One was RCA that had, perhaps 30-50 strands in it (quite coarse), and another brand that had "259" strands. In my opinion, especially for home theater application, I would see no problem using your HD wire unless you are on either extreme (i.e. 20 ga or finer and greater than 20 feet).

18. Chu Gai

Chu Gai Lead Actor

well if the thought of PVC concerns you, then look for a source of Canare 4S8 (13 gauge) or Canare 4S11 (11 gauge) wire. that uses polyethylene as the insulator. You can read a bit more about their StarQuad stuff here. If you contact them i'm sure they'll provide a source where you can buy it by the foot or even have it terminated. wickedcables.com used to sell them. maybe they still do but i don't know about prices.