What's new

cheapest dolby digial reciever (1 Viewer)

Brent Tichenor

Auditioning
I am interrested in getting into a dbs system. I want to have Dolby digital on the reciever. Who has the cheapest?

Bill Catherall

Screenwriter
I'll second the PVR501. That's the one I plan to buy when I get my tax rebate. If that's not the one for you or you don't want to pay that... http://www.allsat.com
mickey31.gif

Brett Loomis

Stunt Coordinator
So, if I understand this thread right, I can get the PVR501 for $150 and the 4922 for $18.95?? Is this right? I am getting ready to gong cable and switch to satellite and am trying to minimize startup/capital costs.
My requirements are: At least 4 separate viewing locations all must have DD capability and one location would be nice to have the PVR-501. So can I assume $150 (PVR-501) plus 3 4922's @$18.95 each and I'm in business??
Please advise
thanks
------------------
My system:
Klipsch KLF-30's Mains
KLF-C7 Center
KSP-S6 Surrounds
KSW-15 Front Sub
KSW-100 Rear Sub
Marantz SR-8000
Toshiba SD-4205 5-DVD
Mitsubishi VCR
Mitsubishi 35"
Pioneer PDF-1007 301-CD
14 gauge Monster Cable
Audioquest interconnects

Ken Stuart

Second Unit
You only need 4 receivers if all 4 viewing locations might be viewing different programs at the same time.
Otherwise, you can use more than one TV on a satellite receiver that has a "UHF" remote that works through walls, and both the 501 and 4922 have that. If you don't want to remember to bring the remote with you, you can buy extra remotes and leave one by each TV.
In reference to Dolby Digital, the advantage of the 501 is that you can record a program to the internal hard drive in Dolby Digital, if, of course, the original program is in DD (which is PPV and 3 of the premium channel flagship stations, ie Starz, Showtime, and HBO - the last one is in progress of being hooked up).
Added - I just noticed that you wrote:
At least 4 separate viewing locations all must have DD capability
So, in your case, to use two different locations on the same receiver would require some capability to split the DD output - which seems unlikely - especially if the locations are far apart. Well, I hope the above is helpful for someone else then! :)
[Edited last by Ken Stuart on August 06, 2001 at 09:29 PM]

Bill Catherall

Screenwriter
Brett, if you want to watch separate channels at all 4 locations I think you would have to have 2 separate dishes. Each dish has twin LNBFs which are required to have 2 receivers hooked up to them. There may be other options available that I'm not aware of...for instance if an apartment owner wants to hook up the entire complex with satallite.
However, my understanding is that for every 2 receivers you need 1 dish. Also, if you want DD available in all 4 areas then you will need a receiver to service it. The $150 and $18.95 specials are for first time customers only and only one per household. So I would suggest the following. If you want one PVR 501 and three 4922 receivers then here's the plan:
From AllSat:
4922/4900 Combo w/Dual install kit = $258.95 + $28.90 S&H
4900 Stand-alone Receiver = $239.00 + $8.95 S&H
From DishDepot:
501 Stand-alone Receiver = $299.00 (on sale) + $14.95 S&H
DISH 500 Dish Assembly = $19.95 + $14.95 S&H
Twin LNBF = $69.00 + $7.95 S&H
Then to activate your service you pay for 2 months upfront minus a credit of $21.99 each. You will later receive an additional credit of $219.90 for the remaining 10 months of service. (According to AllSat you need to maintain your minimum service for 8 months.)
Your upfront equipment cost would be $961.60.
Am I missing anything anybody?
------------------
Bill
biggrin.gif

mickey31.gif

Robert_J

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Robert
Bill,
There two ways to put more than two receivers per dish. You can put in multiswitch(es) that allow four receivers per switch. There is also a new Quad LNB for the Dish500 that allows four receivers to be connected without any switches. I have read that there is a limit of seven receivers per account for Dish. This isn't a hardware limit, it's the max that their billing software will allow.
-Robert
[Edited last by Robert_J on August 07, 2001 at 12:05 PM]

Bill Catherall

Screenwriter
There is also a new Quad LNB for the Dish500
Well, so there is ($139.00 + $7.95 S&H at DishDepot). But it seems cheaper to just install a second dish.
And I see a 4-way multi switch is $29.95 + $4.95 S&H. Will a multi switch allow all 4 receivers to watch separate channels simultaniously off of a dual LNBF? If so, there's the answer.
------------------
Bill
biggrin.gif

mickey31.gif

Robert_J

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Robert
Bill,
That multi-switch will only work with an 18" dish with one LNB. Since both Dish and DirecTV are moving to the larger multi-LNB dishes, it will not work.
I agree that two dishes is a cheaper way to go but it is very low on the spouse approval factor.
-Robert

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
acinstallation240
Recent bookmarks