What's new

Cheapest Canare cables? (1 Viewer)

Alexis

Stunt Coordinator
Hi,
Where is the cheapest place to get finished Canare 75 ohm RCA cables? I know all about the DIY ones, but to buy the special crimper and stripper for just a few cables isn't very economical.
The best price I have found is $15 a meter for a single cable with L-5CFB terminated with Canare RCA's. Each additional foot is $1 or $1.50 for the LV-77s.
http://www.heartlandcables.com/
Thanks

Chu Gai

Senior HTF Member
seems to be a good price...a brief search turned up rutledegaudiodesign.com giving prices of 30 for the first meter with 5/meter after that. homegrown's website is a funny one. perhaps others on this site, some of whom make cables will contact you with a better deal. good luck

Alexis

Stunt Coordinator
Thanks, I haven't really decided on whether to go with these cables or with the premium dayton cables.

Bob McElfresh

Senior HTF Member
Are you looking for:
- Component video cables
- Coaxial Digital Cables
- 3/4/5 conductor cables to connect a pre-amp to an amp?
These are all a bit different.
For example: www.markertek.com will sell you a 6 foot, 3 conductor video cable with Canare for $44.95 (but this is listed with BNC connectors. You may have to ask about getting RCA plugs)
A 6 foot coaxial digital cable is $22

Alexis

Stunt Coordinator
Actually I was looking for an interconnect from my amp to my sub. My other inputs are toslink, and I have a spdif from my computer. I am not too set on upgrading the run from my computer to my amp since I am not listening to the most high fidelity stuff anyways.

I was under the impressiong that the RG-6 type cable would work well for all those applications...

I see you are in the Bay Area, do you know of any Markertec type stores where they sell bulk cable and electronic parts nearby? Or is mail order the way to go? Thanks

Alexis

Stunt Coordinator
I am using a cheapo RCA cable that probably costs a buck, so I was trying to move up to the next step without going overboard.

Bob McElfresh

Senior HTF Member
Alexis: you'd be suprised that many stores that carry telecomm supplies also carry things like Belden coax. But I've yet to find anyone locally carrying Canare plugs.
The best/easiest is to go through www.markertek.com for Canare.
You can also look in the yellow pages under "Electronics" and "Telecom" for suppliers, then call and ask about Belden, Canare, Mogami coax and connectors.
Big Hint: if a local store carries some high-end RCA plugs, ask about the die sets designed for those plugs. Using the coax + connectors + crimp-die all made by the same company can make a world of difference in making a good quality cable.

Kevin Coleman

Second Unit
Hey don't forget Clark Wire and Cable for the Canare 75 OHM RCA and BNC connectors. They have the best price I could find. They are about 40 cents per connector cheaper than Markertek.
Talk to Shane Collins tell him I sent you.
http://www.clarkwc.com/
Kevin C. :)

Mike H

Stunt Coordinator
I've spent about 30 bucks on tools to work with my cable. All the tools are from Radio Shack and they all work great with Canare connectors. I use the RG6 cables and connectors mentioned on Chris White's webpage

1) Heavy duty crimper, 15.99. I use this one to crimp the outsides. It puts a nice crimp and looks profesional. Doesn't do the pins very well. If you wrap the pins it might do okay. This looks like the one I bought: Brand: RadioShack Cat.#: 278-238 Model: 278-238.

2) Cheap crimper, 6.99. I use this one to crimp the pins and I used to use it to crimp the outsides but it doesn't look as professional. Buy this one first if you are short on cash, because it works. Sorta like this one but with three crimping spots: Hanlon Cat.#: 910-3898 Model: HT-102H

3) Cheap Wire Stripper, 2.99. I use this one because it's easy to work with. It's black and looks like a big clothespin. The expensive one sucks. You need to cut 1 -1 1/4 inch off the outside shell and a 1/4 inch off the inside, just enough for the pin. Don't buy this one: Brand: RadioShack Cat.#: 278-248 Model: 278-248. It sucks.

4) Coax Cutter, 2.99. Just something to make cutting coax easy. Nothing fancy.

If I had a fancy-smancy camera I'd take pictures. I've got a webcam lost in the house somewhere. If someone wants pictures of these tools for reference, I'll find the camera.

Email me( pdxredcat @ hotmail . com ) if you want more info. I'll even look up the tool part #s next time I'm there.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
blitz
Recent bookmarks