What's new

Cheapest Banana terminated speaker wire? (1 Viewer)

Andy Young

Stunt Coordinator
I'm not a believer in expensive speaker wire and I don't intend to start a discussion along that vein.

I use RS 12 gauge speaker wire but am very unhappy with the twist on/screw on banana plug terminations. They aren't very robust.

I want a speaker cable that is factory terminated with banana plugs on both ends. Each of the 3 front speakers are about 4 - 6' away from the receiver.

Any advice on the cheapest cables that are factory terminated with banana plugs?

Thanks.

Bob McElfresh

Senior HTF Member
I also had lots of problems with the Monster "Twist Crimp" plugs. I was thrilled to discover Radio Shack (xxx-308) dual banana plugs. These things have an over-size hole on the side with a "Thumb Screw" compression that is very strong. The spacer bar prevents the two plugs from shorting and the hole takes 12 and even 10 ga wire.

But the dual plugs stick out too far for behind my receiver (and some receivers dont match the spacing for the dual plugs). So Radio Shack has some single plugs (xxx-306) that work great. You un-screw the 2 parts, thread the speaker wire up through the middle of the barrel, fold the copper strands over the top and screw the banana part back on. Fantastic mechanical connection and great build quality.

Go to Radio Shack and pick up a pair of each for about $6 per set. This way you can retro-fit your existing 12 ga wire with solid plugs. A lot cheaper than buying whole new speaker wires.

PaulT

Supporting Actor
That XXX-306 looks like a nice product Bob. Wish RS stocked them in Canada. Much easier than the solder routine. Have to grab a bunch on my next trip.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
blitz
Recent bookmarks