Cheapest 6.1 preamp/tuner?

Discussion in 'AV Receivers' started by Brian Tatnall, Jun 4, 2003.

1. Brian Tatnall

Brian Tatnall Stunt Coordinator

It looks like I'm going to get my hands on a Adcom GFA 5006 for a VERY resonable price. I didn't think that I would be able to buy seperates and now the only problem is finding a preamp that will use all 6 channels.

I looking for the cheapest one I can find...all suggestions are welcome [​IMG]

2. Andrew Pratt

Andrew Pratt Producer

The cheapest will be a reciever that has pre outs. there's a number of models that will work depending on what your budget is?

3. Mark Dickerson

Mark Dickerson Stunt Coordinator

Congratulations on getting the Adcom--good stuff.

I think there are three choices, and I don't know what your budget may be, so I am only making suggestions on a general level.

1. Outlaw 950: $895 new, check the Outlaw website for a refurb unit for a couple of hundred less.

2. Used: Check out the Audiogon (www.audiogon.com) website for a good used pre/pro. Lots to choose from from good people like us who are upgrading.

3. Receiver: If you look around, there are a number of good receivers that have pre-outs that you can use to hook the pre-amp section directly to the Adcom. I did a little checking and you can get a Marantz 5200 (last year's model) at accessories4less.com for $330 and it has pre-amp outs for 6 channels plus subwoofer, so it should meet your needs. Then later on, you can get the pre/pro you want and put the Marantz in the bedroom or rec room.

Just a thought . . .

4. Brian Tatnall

Brian Tatnall Stunt Coordinator

Thank you Andrew and Mark,

It looks like there is no way for me to get the Outlaw. I paid well under half that for the Adcom so it wouldn't make much sense to me.

About Audiogon, I don't really know what I should be looking for. What brands would you suggest? Unless I find something that has really been marked down it looks like I'll be hitting up a receiver after all. That is a little dissappointing.

5. Mark Dickerson

Mark Dickerson Stunt Coordinator

Brian:

Look under Home Theater on the Audiogon website, then click on "proc." which is short for Processors. Under that link, you will find an Adcom GTP-830 for $575, which would be a good match for your amp.

Also, I would not get too hung up on the price ratio of the Adcom to an Outlaw pre/pro. Figure you got a great deal on the Adcom, which I think is worth more than you paid for it. If you really want a pre/pro instead of the receiver, bite the bullet and get the Outlaw.

6. Kevin C Brown

Kevin C Brown Producer

Yes, keep in mind the original retail price and worth of the Adcom amp vs the price of the Outlaw pre/pro.