What's new

Cheapest 6.1 preamp/tuner? (1 Viewer)

Brian Tatnall

Stunt Coordinator
It looks like I'm going to get my hands on a Adcom GFA 5006 for a VERY resonable price. I didn't think that I would be able to buy seperates and now the only problem is finding a preamp that will use all 6 channels.

I looking for the cheapest one I can find...all suggestions are welcome ;)

Andrew Pratt

Senior HTF Member
The cheapest will be a reciever that has pre outs. there's a number of models that will work depending on what your budget is?

Mark Dickerson

Stunt Coordinator
Congratulations on getting the Adcom--good stuff.

I think there are three choices, and I don't know what your budget may be, so I am only making suggestions on a general level.

1. Outlaw 950: $895 new, check the Outlaw website for a refurb unit for a couple of hundred less.

2. Used: Check out the Audiogon (www.audiogon.com) website for a good used pre/pro. Lots to choose from from good people like us who are upgrading.

3. Receiver: If you look around, there are a number of good receivers that have pre-outs that you can use to hook the pre-amp section directly to the Adcom. I did a little checking and you can get a Marantz 5200 (last year's model) at accessories4less.com for $330 and it has pre-amp outs for 6 channels plus subwoofer, so it should meet your needs. Then later on, you can get the pre/pro you want and put the Marantz in the bedroom or rec room.

Just a thought . . .

Brian Tatnall

Stunt Coordinator
Thank you Andrew and Mark,

It looks like there is no way for me to get the Outlaw. I paid well under half that for the Adcom so it wouldn't make much sense to me.

About Audiogon, I don't really know what I should be looking for. What brands would you suggest? Unless I find something that has really been marked down it looks like I'll be hitting up a receiver after all. That is a little dissappointing.

Mark Dickerson

Stunt Coordinator
Brian:

Look under Home Theater on the Audiogon website, then click on "proc." which is short for Processors. Under that link, you will find an Adcom GTP-830 for $575, which would be a good match for your amp.

Also, I would not get too hung up on the price ratio of the Adcom to an Outlaw pre/pro. Figure you got a great deal on the Adcom, which I think is worth more than you paid for it. If you really want a pre/pro instead of the receiver, bite the bullet and get the Outlaw.

Kevin C Brown

Senior HTF Member
Yes, keep in mind the original retail price and worth of the Adcom amp vs the price of the Outlaw pre/pro.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
CoolMovies
Recent bookmarks