Cheaper screen

Discussion in 'Displays' started by Zeeshan T, Mar 14, 2004.

1. Zeeshan T

Zeeshan T Agent

Hey guys. My budget on my screen is $300. My projector and my seating will be 14 feet away from the screen. I have decided to go with 100 inch widescreen however most screens i have looked at (carada, stewart) are out of my budget. Does anyone know where i can get a 100 inch widescreen for around $300? Also give my throw distance, can i go any larger on the screen size? If anyone cares to know the projector i will have will be an infocus 4805.

2. Frank Zimkas

Frank Zimkas Supporting Actor

How about a DIY Screen for around $100. That's what I did, and quite a few others around here as well

3. Jack Briggs

Jack Briggs Executive Producer

Please post this type of question here in Display Devices. The Basics area is for general discussion at the beginner level, not make/model recommendations. Thanks.

4. Bob Maged

Bob Maged Stunt Coordinator

I second the DIY screen suggestion. You will save yourself at least $200. You should wait until you get the PJ before making the screen, however. Projecting onto a blank wall or even a spare bedsheet will enable you to determine your optimal image size before committing yourself.

5. Michael TLV

Michael TLV THX Video Instructor/Calibrator

Michael Chen
    Greetings

I went the cheapest route of all and painted my wall comet Gray. Built a black velvet frame around a 96" image.

I recently placed a 0.8 gain gray sample of a carada screen on the wall with masking tape. When the lights came down, the screen material "vanished" into the background. From the viewing position, one could not see any decernible difference between the screen material and the painted wall.

I'm fortunate that the wall is flat though ...

Regards

6. Neil Joseph

Neil Joseph Lead Actor

Neil Joseph
    I also have a 96" DIY screen. I would wait until you get the projector you want and it is mounted in place. Project the image onto the wall and take detailed measurements. Then make your screen to match the image size.

I made my own screen using a formica base and pained it silver/gray. Otehr have used blackout fabric stretched over a frame. There are a few alternatives.

7. ryan_m

ryan_m Stunt Coordinator

If you don't want to (or can't) go the DYI route, check out DaLite screens. I got a 80x45" pull down for around $300 (it's a High Power Model B w/CSR) that I'm very happy with.

8. Andrew Pratt

Andrew Pratt Producer

My silver painted black out cloth screen is only bested by the Firehawk sample...its easily better then the HCCV, Carada grey, Greyhawk, StudioTek and a couple other samples I have on hand.

9. Kevin-W

Kevin-W Auditioning

I used Neil's DIY screen on white formica (not even painted yet). Looks great and cost about $60 ($44 for the 4x8 formaica sheet, $12 for the wood frame which my Father in law routered for me, and $4 for the cheap beer he likes). It's 4'x8', primarily because I have room for it [​IMG]

Thanks Neil for the original DIY post and the questions you answered in PM.