What's new

Cheaper Criterion DVD's?? / Wholesalers?? (1 Viewer)

Estevan Lapena

Stunt Coordinator
I hate paying retail for Criterion’s, not only are the extra expensive but living in Canada, they are twice the price of the retail price,

I.E: DO THE RIGHT THING = 59.00 w/o 14.5% tax, (Quite a dent in a 16 year olds wallet)

Now I was wondering where do all these people who have their BIG collections get their movies from!? There are people with a library of film and disks that most likely equate to the value of a brand-new Porsche.

Alex Morrow

Stunt Coordinator
For criterion stuff check out DVDPlanet.com They have a good selection and have some kind of extra deal with criterion to off most of them at 35% off list price.

JamesY

Stunt Coordinator
If you haven't yet, www.dvdpricesearch.com is a good search engine, and a few of the e-tailers are also Canadian (North American DVD comes to mind).

You can also check out dvdtalk.com forum for their "share the love" program. Basically, you request a title by putting your name on a list, and when someone buys that from Amazon.com they can share a 10% discount with you. It's not much, but couple that with a GC and you may have some deals. You can find more info at dvdtalk.com following these steps:

DVD Talk Forum > Shopping Discussions > DVD Bargains > Share The Love

Hope this helps.

Estevan Lapena

Stunt Coordinator

Have you ever been charged Duty for your DVD items??? I was going to order from DVDPlanet, but fear the border...

CraigF

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Craig
No, there is no duty. But you do get charged GST and a $5 processing fee. Depending on your province, you might get charged PST too (we do in Ontario...total BS since the item isn't purchased in-province, but there you go...).

Yeah, it's not uncommon to see Criterions at over list price here, even allowing for a very generous (and way out of date) exchange rate. It's not really worthwhile to buy them in Canada, unless it's the "common" ones, like Traffic, Tanenbaums, Amy, etc.

Simon_Lepine

Supporting Actor
DVD Planet has outrageous shipping rates to Canada. (6$ for the first one and 2$ for extra ones. If one is back-ordered, you'll have to pay 6$ for the next one shipped).

I usually order Criterions from Deep Discount DVD, they are a little more expensive on the DVD price, but shipping is a flat $4.95 for the whole order. If somethnig is back-order, you're not charged any extra for the next shipment.

Also, check out amazon.ca, they sometimes have great deals on Criterions and have free shipping. Plus some coupons are usually available (right now, use CANADATELUSM for 10$ off a 50$ order). For example, Hiroshima Mon Amour is now at CDN$ 36.74 ...

CraigF

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Craig
Simon, you are right. My circumstances with DVDPlanet have not involved outrageous shipping prices. But a recent order I put together happened to be three 2-disc sets...they charge *per disc*. Their shipping rates are even worse than Columbia House, which I didn't think was possible. Yeah, it looks like if you're getting more than one Criterion disc that Deep Discount DVD is better, will try them.

Also, agree that *sometimes* amazon.ca isn't outrageous, if you count the shipping costs from U.S. and the $5 customs "handling charge". I have bought a few there, preorders are a little more reasonable. Also, Future Shop will match their price, but lately they haven't been stocking Criterions, except a few common ones. Seems they let stock sell out, then not restocked. OTOH, their buddy Best Buy has at the same time massively increased their stocking of Criterions, and *very occasionally* their price is also not bad, certainly competitive with anybody else in Canada. For instance, the 5 film Hitchcock set was reasonable there, most singles are ridiculous....that is odd, because BB is normally the last price to buy sets, price-wise. BB has no obvious standard markup on Criterions, prices seem random to me. Managers at BB are lackies, they have virtually no say in anything, they do what they're told by the corporate head office. Before BB bought FS, you could negotiate at FS; I always got a discount there on Criterions just for asking...no more.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
blitz
Recent bookmarks