What's new

Cheap web hosting/domain registration advice? (1 Viewer)

Timon Russo

Stunt Coordinator
My homeowners association wants a web site and I volunteered to look into it. In the interest of cutting costs to an absolute minimum, I thought I'd ask around to see what other people have used. I need to register a domain name, then find a host for the files. Is there one-stop shopping available?

Mike LS

Supporting Actor
Price will depend on how large a site you're setting up. If you can do with say, 1gb of file space, I can give you some suggestions. I registered a domain and got my server space for about $35 per year (cheaper if you pay for more time up front).

Some will say to stay away from the cheaper hosts because you get what you pay for, but I've not had any problems in the months since I set my site up.

PM or email me if you like.

Timon Russo

Stunt Coordinator
Thanks Mike. Network solutions has this:

$9.96 a month
w/ annual agreement
(or $11.95 monthly)
No set up fee!
Disk Space 1 GB
Monthly Data Transfer 10 GB
E-mailboxes 25
MySQL/MS Access

Is this too good to be true? I have no problem with an annual agreement. And they make it look like it includes (for free) the registration of the domain name. 1 GB of space sounds like a ton for the few pages I will need.

Chris Hovanic

Supporting Actor
I use Future Point

Here is a breakdown of thier services
Also note the free email addresses.

They will register your domain for free when u sign up if you have not done so already. Thier support is all done via the web and email and they are very quick to reply.

Good Luck

Tekara

Supporting Actor
Real Name
Robert
I use 1and1.com for my setup, they charge 6$/yr for domain registration and their servers are some of the least expensive that I have seen. Although I run my own server that sits which my living room.

The 1&1 Linux Home Package offers everything you need to create an attractive presence for your family website, your hobbies, or for publishing your photos to the Internet.

* Includes 1 domain at no additional cost!
* 1,000 MB web space
* 25 GB monthly transfer volume
* 200 e-mail accounts
* Virus Guard & Spam Guard for all accounts
* 1&1 WebMail

4.99/mo

Mike LS

Supporting Actor
I registered my domain through www.namecheap.com for $8.88 per year and got my hosting through UltraSurge. They've got some good specials for about $2 or $3 per month. Check out http://www.ultrasurge.com/specials/fmha.html

I got the UltraSpecial 3 which gives more than Network Solutions gives for almost 1/4 the $$. Granted, this is a small host...they aren't Network Solutions, but I've had no complaints so far.

I believe you can register your domain through them for about the same $$....I just registered mine before I found this host, though changing the DNS over is a 30 second process that you can do yourself.

Timon Russo

Stunt Coordinator
Lots of good advice there. Thanks everyone. I've been looking into 1&1 and made a call to them this morning. I am already impressed by how helpful they were, so it looks like its going to be them. Their $4.99 a month package sounds very reasonable.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
acinstallation562
Recent bookmarks