Cheap, warm-sounding 5.1 receiver?

Discussion in 'Archived Threads 2001-2004' started by Scott Kriefall, Aug 9, 2002.

1. Scott Kriefall

Scott Kriefall Second Unit

Scott
    I'm considering upgrading my secondary setup from 2-channel to 5.1 surround sound. Although I've purchased nice components (Sherwood pre-amp, Paradigm Reference speakers, etc) for my main rig, I don't want to spend much on this secondary system.

This system currently has a pair of Paradigm Titan speakers, an older Yamaha sub, and an Onkyo TX-8210 receiver.

I've found a number of discussions of cheap receivers here. Unfortunately, most of these discussions don't mention whether the receivers being discussed are bright or warm sounding.

I already know that Yamaha is rather bright, and I've also seen a few statements that Pioneer is also somewhat bright. What about the cheaper Kenwood (VR-605/6050) or Sherwood (RD-6108, etc) models? Are there any cheap (< $250) DD/DTS receivers with a warm sound?

2. John Garcia

John Garcia Executive Producer

John
    Marantz SR4200 and H/K AVR125 are the cheapest, warm sounding integrateds, NEW, IMO.

Look for used or open box stuff, never know what you will find. I picked up a old demo Marantz SR4000 for $150, and it not only has that nice warm Marantz sound, but it seems to be able to deliver a startlng amount of power to the mains for music. It was driving V3 Titans, now Mini Monitors. I also found an SR5000 for $300, but like you, I was looking for a lower budget setup.

3. Scott Kriefall

Scott
    I just spent some time researching various models, and I came upon the same two models that you mentioned. Unfortunately, they both sell for about $300, which is more than I'd ideally like to spend.

I'll spend some more time searching for used, refurbished, or open-box HK/Marantz models. Perhaps I'll have similar luck and find something for $150!

4. Geoff S

Geoff S Stunt Coordinator

How about a Denon 1802 or 1803 which is due out soon? It is 5.1 only, DD, DTS. I'm not sure the actualy price, but you could probably find one real cheap. Denon is known for their warmer sounding audio.

5. Scott Kriefall

Scott
    The Denon 1803 seems to be a nice receiver, but it retails for $499 which is quite a bit more than I wish to spend. Their web site does list a "1403" model with a $299 retail -- and that's much closer to my price range. It must be a very new model, since a Google search didn't uncover any references to that model other than the reference on Denon's own web pages.

6. Stephen Hopkins

Stephen Hopkins HW Reviewer
    HW Reviewer

You might want to consider a Pioneer 411, 511, or 711. They all have 100x5, DPLII, DD, and DTS. The 411 is always $199 at BB and CC, and can sometimes be found on sale as low as $180.

I'm not really sure if they sound warm or bright, but i have the 811S and it sounds fairly balanced. It's hard for me to tell, since i'm running sony speakers all the way around (MB300H mains, CN490 center, MB100H surounds and back surrounds).

Regardless, i think all three i mentioned fall in your price range if purchased online.